Mock Toona Salad Recipe Made With Chickpeas?

sounds interesting....
Making so many things with chickpeas ... wonder if prices will rise with greater demand.
I guess good for states who produce them.......I think the big ones are Washington / Idaho and Montana

sounds interesting....
Making so many things with chickpeas ... wonder if prices will rise with greater demand.
I guess good for states who produce them.......I think the big ones are Washington / Idaho and Montana
This is kind of a staple for vegetarians/vegans. I've been making it for years on and off and I'm taking it for lunch this work weekend. I don't have any veggie mayo so I'm using that Goddess salad dressing I got at Trader Joe's. I also got the chickpeas at TJ's and I think they are 99 cents a can.

Checked it out...good for me..
Since I'm a " veggie"
And use chickpeas, and like.

I've even seen a recipe that you can roast them with veg oil , add spice of your choice...garlic was suggested...for a crispy snack.
Haven't tried yet.
I like chickpeas, but I'd prefer a real tuna sandwich.

I've also roasted them. Added a little oil, cumin, garlic salt and paprika. They came out good.
You could use any spice and they'd be tasty.

Checked it out...good for me..
Since I'm a " veggie"
And use chickpeas, and like.

I've even seen a recipe that you can roast them with veg oil , add spice of your choice...garlic was suggested...for a crispy snack.
Haven't tried yet.
Oh yes, I've heard of that. I haven't tried it but I should. Won't use my oven anymore this year.

I like falafel also but finding a good packaged mix seems to be impossible. A bit too spicy for me. Too much trouble for me to make them from scratch.

sounds interesting....
It's a sad reality when food prices increase the rich compete for the inexpensive staple foods of the poor and the poor usually lose.
images

It's a sad reality when food prices increase the rich compete for the inexpensive staple foods of the poor and the poor usually lose.
images
Speaking of the rich, reminds me of a story my sister told me. She went to one of the major supermarkets and saw a blonde woman wearing a fur coat who had lobster among her groceries. She paid with food stamps and left in a very fancy ride. 🤕

Last edited:
Just looked at it on line, sounds really good . Made the same as I make tuna salad; I also add garlic powder and paprika, sprinkle of dill. But I would t see any reason to call it mock toona, calling it chick pea or bean salad, it would still taste good, In my opinion.

Speaking of the rich, reminds me of a story my sister told me. She went to one of the major supermarkets in a predomantly supposedly and saw a blonde woman wearing a fur coat who had lobster among her groceries. She paid with food, stamps and left in a very fancy ride. 🤕
Along the same line............I volunteer at Christmas time at a Salvation Army kids gift program. The building is a large warehouse in a industrial area in east end Toronto. My job is supervising the parking lot. The kids mothers are selected from the public housing authority lists, so you know they are not wealthy. You should see the cars and SUV's that they are driving. BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz, and so on. How can they afford such expensive vehicles ? The live in boy friend is a criminal. JimB.

Just looked at it on line, sounds really good . Made the same as I make tuna salad; I also add garlic powder and paprika, sprinkle of dill. But I would t see any reason to call it mock toona, calling it chick pea or bean salad, it would still taste good, In my opinion.
It's usually refered to that way by the people who don't eat tuna. This is what most of the recipes state it as.

Along the same line............I volunteer at Christmas time at a Salvation Army kids gift program. The building is a large warehouse in a industrial area in east end Toronto. My job is supervising the parking lot. The kids mothers are selected from the public housing authority lists, so you know they are not wealthy. You should see the cars and SUV's that they are driving. BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes Benz, and so on. How can they afford such expensive vehicles ? The live in boy friend is a criminal. JimB.
My sister was shopping in a ritzy area populated mostly by well to do Caucasians that day, so the woman could have been from that area. My sister used to be on several boards and committees, including the County Freeholders and mentioned Caucasians who shouldn't have been able to, were able to somehow get food stamps because different criteria was used for them. A friend of mine worked for county welfare and had told me something similar about how it was easier for some folks to get public assistance than others.

Your reference to the Benz reminds me of another story. Same friend who worked for welfare had worked two jobs for much of the time I knew here. She decided to buy her youngest son a nice car, a BMW I think. She said "every time he turns the corner the cops stop him". It's the old...well if he's Black and driving a nice car, he must be a criminal. She was very disgusted by that, as was I. That being said, your assessment in the last sentence is probably accurate, at least in some cases.

My sister was shopping in a ritzy area populated mostly by well to do Caucasians that day, so the woman could have been from that area. My sister used to be on several boards and committees, including the County Freeholders and mentioned Caucasians who shouldn't have been able to, were able to somehow get food stamps because different criteria was used for them. A friend of mine worked for county welfare and had told me something similar about how it was easier for some folks to get public assistance than others.

Your reference to the Benz reminds me of another story. Same friend who worked for welfare had worked two jobs for much of the time I knew here. She decided to buy her youngest son a nice car, a BMW I think. She said "every time he turns the corner the cops stop him". It's the old...well if he's Black and driving a nice car, he must be a criminal. She was very disgusted by that, as was I. That being said, your assessment in the last sentence is probably accurate, at least in some cases.
I spent ten years working for Metro Toronto Ambulance service , a city department. In my experience, even the WORST run down crappy apartment will have the latest largest BIG screen TV in it. There may be no food for the kids, but Mum will haver $300 worth of bangles and ear rings on her. JimB.

Ever tried it? It's cheap and easy. I mash the chickpeas with a fork and then add whatever I want and/or have.
No, never thought of any recipe like that, thank you for sharing. I do like chickpeas (don't eat them often except occasionally as humus). I don't eat much bread anymore, but maybe I'll get a loaf and the ingrediants and try it.

Off the subject of chickpeas, but as Jimintoronto observed , I was stunned at the high end late model cars in long lines at food and grocery handouts at the height of the PD here. Nothing that was even close to my dinged up 20 yr old wagon. I didn’t go because I didn’t want to run the engine idling for an hour, even tho the gas hadn’t gone up yet.

@Remy, thanks for the recipe. I’m sick of the same old sandwiches.

Garbanzos are my favourite bean. In salad season, they’re one of the items I like to top the lettuce with. They’re very good in soup too.

Back