Moisturizers and exfolients

Ruthanne

SF VIP
For the past 2 years my skin has become like an alligator's! It is so dry and feels unlike it ever did. I wonder if I should go to a Dermatologist. Am I the only one who has skin that is so dry it is flaky? I've used an exfolient and moisturizer and seems you have to use them every single day. There is no getting better for skin? I've always had nice skin but not any more. I have to scrub my face before I put on a moisturizer. Is anyone else like this?:(

I have been using LaRoche Posay moisturizer for years on the advice of a dermatologist. They also carry a thermal water that you spray on that is like a magic elixer, it is even recommended for diaper rash. Wonderful products well worth the little extra cost. Most pharmacy beauty counters will give out samples to try.

My skin is so sensitive it can change according to the weather, to what I've eaten, what meds I've taken, what I've drunk, if I've had more chocolate than usual, which detergent I've switched to, whether or not I'm stressed out ...

A month or so ago the skin above my elbows got very dry and rough and freaked me out.

I applied Jergens.

Problem solved.

I don't know if it was the Jergens, or if I switched soaps, or changed something I was eating, or what, but the Jergens got rid of the roughness and made my skin soft and smooth again.

Now if I could just find something for the soles of my feet .... ! :)

Wearing socks with my favorite shoes helps there.

You may be exfoliating too often Ruthanne, I only do it a couple of times a week, but use moisturiser every day, do you use soap on your face ? And do you use a night cream ?

For the past 2 years my skin has become like an alligator's! It is so dry and feels unlike it ever did. I wonder if I should go to a Dermatologist. Am I the only one who has skin that is so dry it is flaky? I've used an exfolient and moisturizer and seems you have to use them every single day. There is no getting better for skin? I've always had nice skin but not any more. I have to scrub my face before I put on a moisturizer. Is anyone else like this?:(

Do you drink enough water? It could be you're not getting enough.

I have to use non-perfumed products so I use one called Simple to wash my face and Simple lotion afterwards.

You may be exfoliating too often Ruthanne, I only do it a couple of times a week, but use moisturiser every day, do you use soap on your face ? And do you use a night cream ?
But I can't put the moisturizer on unless I use the facial scrub. My skin only works that way, ugh.

Water is essential for good skin, taking evening primrose oil adding olive oil, avocados, oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, etc to your diet may also help

In that case, living in Florida for the last 38 years, my skin should feel like a baby's bottom...... No, my problem is all the sunbathing I did in my younger and clueless years.

I live in a wet climate most of the year - Scotland - and spend winters in a humid one - Thailand. I use sunscreen and wear hats but you just can't totally keep the sun out.

In that case, living in Florida for the last 38 years, my skin should feel like a baby's bottom...... No, my problem is all the sunbathing I did in my younger and clueless years.
I used to sunbathe a lot when I was much younger. I stay out of the sun for the most part now because of all the warnings and my skin type.

Water is essential for good skin, taking evening primrose oil adding olive oil, avocados, oily fish such as mackerel, salmon, etc to your diet may also help
I never thought that what I eat had anything to do with my skin but it's good to know I can change that. I love avacados!! Not to crazy about oily fish, though. I'll look into that primrose oil. I refuse to buy olive oil because it costs so much but maybe I can break down and buy some, easy as that. Thanks for that advice! :)

I have been using LaRoche Posay moisturizer for years on the advice of a dermatologist. They also carry a thermal water that you spray on that is like a magic elixer, it is even recommended for diaper rash. Wonderful products well worth the little extra cost. Most pharmacy beauty counters will give out samples to try.
I'm going to copy down that moisturiser. Mine (Neutrogena) isn't doing the job. I'm going to look LaRoche Posay up on Amazon, they have everything there! :)

Actually I often go without moisturizer and exfoliating and that's when my skin feels so bad. When I use the facial scrub and moisturizer it is somewhat better.

It's pretty dry where I live, and keeping the skin moist is always a challenge. I never spent a lot of money on expensive creams over the years, and only use the basics. I rarely use soap on my face, I was using Oil of Olay wash cloths for awhile and thought they were okay.

Around once a month I use Neutrogena Naturals purifying pore scrub for exfoliation. Also use the Biore pore cleaning nose strip now and then. I use Curel Ultra Healing on my hands and legs, and often times just use that on my face too. At night I try to use a rich Vitamin E Collagen cream on my face, but don't always remember to put it on.

Keeping hydrated is so important, I don't like drinking much plain water, but I do drink daily plain seltzer water with no sugar/sodium/calories. Also Perrier Mineral Water at times. When I was taking a spoonful of coconut oil daily, I noticed a positive difference in my skin moisture. Plus, I take a quality omega 3 fish oil every day, and natural vitamin E sometimes. Coconut oil on the skin is nice, but can be greasy and stain clothes until it soaks in.

My skin never gets dry and is never oily either. I drink water but not a great deal. I have a simple routine of washing with a mild soap and Yves moisturizer in the morning and a rinse with a washcloth at night. What I have found helpful is taking a couple of tablespoons of Flaxseed Oil every day, which is good for a lot of things, especially the skin.

It's pretty dry where I live, and keeping the skin moist is always a challenge. I never spent a lot of money on expensive creams over the years, and only use the basics. I rarely use soap on my face, I was using Oil of Olay wash cloths for awhile and thought they were okay.

Around once a month I use Neutrogena Naturals purifying pore scrub for exfoliation. Also use the Biore pore cleaning nose strip now and then. I use Curel Ultra Healing on my hands and legs, and often times just use that on my face too. At night I try to use a rich Vitamin E Collagen cream on my face, but don't always remember to put it on.

Keeping hydrated is so important, I don't like drinking much plain water, but I do drink daily plain seltzer water with no sugar/sodium/calories. Also Perrier Mineral Water at times. When I was taking a spoonful of coconut oil daily, I noticed a positive difference in my skin moisture. Plus, I take a quality omega 3 fish oil every day, and natural vitamin E sometimes. Coconut oil on the skin is nice, but can be greasy and stain clothes until it soaks in.
Sounds like a good plan you have there. I like natural vitamin E. I take fish oil, too, but it doesn't seem to effect me. But maybe my skin would be even worse without it.

My skin never gets dry and is never oily either. I drink water but not a great deal. I have a simple routine of washing with a mild soap and Yves moisturizer in the morning and a rinse with a washcloth at night. What I have found helpful is taking a couple of tablespoons of Flaxseed Oil every day, which is good for a lot of things, especially the skin.
Flaxseed Oil has many benefits. I think it's good for heart health, too. I am always trying to get stuff with Flaxseed in it.

Thank you both for your advice. :)

You can try La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5, I've used it for dry skin irritations of my face, hands and other body parts. I bought it at CVS.com and used the 40% coupon on one item. Walgreens may offer it too.

Back