Money-related things that may become obsolete

Passbook bank accounts and paper savings bonds seem to have gone the way of CRT TVs, VCRs, paper checks and landline phones. Everything is electronic. The young tellers don't even know what a passbook is.

I see the day when even paper money will be antiquated. Everything will be bought and sold with electronic "credits".

Whadda ya think?

I am "old school" myself. I refuse to do banking online since electronic banking is easily compromised, but it stresses me that when I hand a teller my passbook, they stare at it like it was a cow patty. I was in the local bank on Friday to get my bi-annual passbook update and the excuse this time was that their printer "wasn't set up".

I abhore the possibility of of a cashless society. Children are indoctrinated into the cadh card ethos from an early age over here and maybe in the USA and Canada. This to my mind is not good as cash handling teaches youngsters of a give and take mindset and my 9 yr old GD likes to have her pocket money in her little purse and count the coins and but her treats with cash. It also teaches children and youngsters generousity of popping a few coins in a charity box.

I told my Son how I feel and he respects how I feel and agreed with me despite of him using a card and rarely has cash.

As I said: I find the latest stance on an International scale scary and threatening

Last edited:
I personally am there now, and have been for a long time ... hardly ever have any paper money on me. When I do, it usually goes to the grandkids for good report card grades.

The kids have a board game called Allowance that they like to play on occasion.... teaches money handling.

lc1279

"Plastic" can lead to overspending. So many people in debt these days. When I reach in my wallet and there's little money, I know I have to lay low until the next pension check. Unfortunately, many businesses have stopped accepting paper checks and once you shell out cash, there's no guarantee you'll be credited with it. I ran into this at a doctor's office recently. The practice is under new management and they want their money up front. I didn't expect this and hadn't brought my checkbook. I paid with cash, then a few weeks later started receiving dunning letters from them. I called the office and they said there's no record of my paying! Now I'm not sure what to do. It is against my financial and religious beliefs to get a credit card and a fear of identity theft increases, also.

Revelation 13:16-17
And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

Revelation 14:9-12
Then another angel, a third one, followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. “And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

This to me is a form of bullying at your doctors , Debodun and totally unacceptable. Did you get a receipt for your cash? Stand firm with them and refuse to pay again if they continue to pester you.

I reside in the UK in England and the medical services are different to other countries and I dont know how they work. As you know we have the NHS here and though its not in good shape in many ways we are protected regarding money for treatment on the NHS but we pay for prescriptions per item. We can go Private if we choose to for treatments in hospitals.

I do hope things will be allright for you with this demanding letter wise

Everything has its pluses and minuses. I do all my banking and bill paying and brokerage online. I haven't been inside a bank for two years. I only write a few checks a year and only to businesses that charge a fee for online payments (my HOA is one) and to small businesspeople with no charging ability (my handyman and other providers). Eventually, if you live long enough, you will have NO choice but to adapt to the new cashless society.

Its getting this way in the UK. I do bank online have done for years and all okay but I very cautious and check statements daily.

We still have paper cheques and I use them from time to time. They are and will be phased out at some stage and ATM cash machines in our streets too.

I hope I dont live to a very old age but Im 76 and could live another 10 plus years and quite frankly I have no wish to these days.

I personally am there now, and have been for a long time ... hardly ever have any paper money on me. When I do, it usually goes to the grandkids for good report card grades.

The kids have a board game called Allowance that they like to play on occasion.... teaches money handling.

lc1279
Looks good this Game. Looked it up on Google and may buy it for my GD.

Passbook bank accounts and paper savings bonds seem to have gone the way of CRT TVs, VCRs, paper checks and landline phones. Everything is electronic. The young tellers don't even know what a passbook is.

I see the day when even paper money will be antiquated. Everything will be bought and sold with electronic "credits".

Whadda ya think?
I agree. I remember going into a sub shop about 5 years ago to buy a sub and I only had checks...I left my debit card home by mistake. The cashier informed me they no longer accept checks.. a lot of places no longer accept checks. I agree, we are headed to an electronic world. I carry minimum cash on me. It may be a while before paper money is antiquated but I see it coming.

I'm full blown digital for everything. Haven't written a check in about ten years, use credit for everything and pay online in full at months end, get all my bills via eBilling to my bank and pay online, give money to my kids thru Venmo, pulled $200 out at an ATM in 2018, still got about $120 in my wallet. Can't imagine why anyone would ever use "cash"...

I like the anonymity of cash but I fear that the end is near, it won't be long before we just bump phones to lend someone twenty bucks or purchase something at a garage sale.

The good news is that it will make it more difficult for traditionally cash-based businesses to cheat on their income taxes, individuals to hoard/hide money, and virtually eliminate the problems of purse snatching, counterfeiting, etc...

“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.”― Albert Einstein

In the UK manty pay on their cards by the Contactless method and some find this questionable security wise.You dont insert the card into the machine just float it over the machine...don't like that either

In the UK manty pay on their cards by the Contactless method and some find this questionable security wise.You dont insert the card into the machine just float it over the machine...don't like that either
I don't know that there is any security difference between contactless and strips. But, you do need to line whatever you carry your card(s) in with aluminum foil. The cards can be read by someone close to you with a handheld reader.

Credit cards are handy....IF a person pays the full balance when due. Paying by cash actually helps reduce costs....as most merchants have to pay a "surcharge" of about 3% for the processing of credit/debit card transactions....and these costs Are passed along to the consumers via higher prices. Paying by Cash is also Much safer....as there is always the possibility of a "skimmer" installed at gas pumps, ATM's, etc. It is imperative that consumers monitor their credit/bank accounts regularly to spot any suspicious activity. Also, sign up for e-mail notification of any transactions on your credit cards...the sooner any hacking is detected, the easier it is to resolve the problem.

"Cashless" society may one day become a reality, but at this point it is far too easy for criminals to invade electronic transactions. Then, there are things like "Bitcoin" which is proving to be little more than a Huge pyramid scheme.

I pay with checks, cash, credit cards and online. Not many checks these days but for most local businesses I pay with cash. I also keep cash at home in case of power outage due to storms.

This is exactly what I do, too. With checks I pay real estate taxes or a private party bill so that I can have a copy of the cancelled check. Credit cards are used for shopping, both brick-and-mortar and online, and are paid in full each month. I've just started to receive online bills, so I set up a separate email account just for that purpose. Utilities are set up to be paid by credit card. Cash goes to people like the 15 year old who rakes my yard or my neighbor who watched my dog when I am gone away.

But I do have a nice tidy sum of greenbacks in my safe just in case there is ever a catastrophic event and banks are closed and the internet is not available. For the same reason, I store 15 gallons of water, too.

I view my bank accounts frequently and have it set up so that I receive text messages whenever my credit cards are used.

I think we are still a ways away from a totally cashless society and that is just fine with me.

Last edited:
I pay with checks, cash, credit cards and online. Not many checks these days but for most local businesses I pay with cash. I also keep cash at home in case of power outage due to storms.
Same here.

These days most of my checks go for wedding and other large gifts, and to local trades people for remodeling, plumbing and other repairs because they charge a 3% fee for credit cards. I use a mix of cash and CC for other expenses, plus pay many bills on line. Never use a debit card, ever. Wouldn't even have one if the bank didn't require it for my checking account.

We stopped accepting checks about 5 years before closing our business because we got stuck with bad checks. Most funds we recovered, but it was a P in A to chase people. Far easier to accept only online, credit card, or cash purchases. Period.

I don't know that there is any security difference between contactless and strips. But, you do need to line whatever you carry your card(s) in with aluminum foil. The cards can be read by someone close to you with a handheld reader.
Ive got security wallet sold in shops over here in UK designed to protect cards and do wonder if it actually works.

Back