Movies Exploring the Link Between Memory & Storytelling

feywon

Not to be confused with Amnesia, Dissociative, or Identity issue movies, which could make whole other thread. We all have an internal autobiography going on in our heads and often, when we get info that fills in things we didn't know or we're doing work to deal with trauma we 'reframe' or rewrite what we tell ourselves about our past. Most all of us do this, and it can be very healthy because we tend to see a broader picture of things as an adult than as a child, and often have more info about the others involved and so more understanding of why they behaved as they did.

i'm thinking particularly of Second Hand Lions and Big Fish. Both use the device of a young family member thinking older family member(s) have embellished their experiences beyond all connection to reality only to learn that the embellishment was not so great as they thought. Both movies can be watched just for the 'fun' aspects of them, but anyone interested in psychology and our internal dialogues can find some food for thought in them too. "Rememory" with Peter Dinklage kind of touches on how we reframe memories sometimes to absolve ourselves sometimes to cling to 'guilt'.

Do you have any favorite such movies, or even just movies that deal with introspection?

Yes it is also very well done. One of the reasons i liked it so much was it kept me in suspense most of the way to the 'reveal'. All too often i can figure such movies out too quickly. I have it on DVD because i will rewatch such movie to spot the cinematic processes that kept me guessing.

Back