Moving Day Update.... AKA How we got to here

old medic

Most of you have seen the movie "The Never Ending Story"
Well this is the " Ever Changing Story" And it starts in August 1985.....well 1972... well.....1949 ..... well ...... y'all will see.

The Wife (Girlfriend at the time) and I pack up everything we owned in a Popup Camper and move from NY to NC, set up camp in my mothers yard,
and I find a job, 3 months later we rent a hole in the wall trailer..... Amazing how many people would not rent to us since we weren't married.
Very close friends of my parents, like brother and sister close, Nelson and Donna Miller, step in to help...
They had bought a house in 1983, and the shack next door sat abandoned, the lady had rented it in the past but everybody just trashed the place.
Now the 1949 back story on this is these 2 houses were from the same family.... in 1949 they were given 4 acres of property as a wedding gift
and built the original house. They had 2 children and the son built a kit home on the property in 1972. The son ended up selling that home and 3/4 acres of property and moved away. Nancy, The daughter inherited the estate, but lived in Raleigh NC. Nelson ended up hiring me in the water Dept he managed, and talked Nancy into allowing us to rent the old shack next door...she does....for $50 a month... We moved in the end of march 1986.... No appliances, no pump, no running water. Screw in fuses and 4 outlets in the whole house.... this place was a mess. We started out walking next door to the Millers to get our water...Shortly after moving in we discover were having a baby.... And on Sept 16 1986, Our son was born at home ....in this shack of a house.... In the same room that Nancy was born in....
Over the next few years we continued to fix the place up, totally replumbed and rewired the house and talked with the owner about trying to buy it.
Her dream was to retire back to homeplace so she said no....
So we started looking for a new place to call our own.... since our family had grown with a daughter... and this is a 1 (small) bedroom house.
We find a piece of property, get a modular house put in and moved from the shack in 1995.... And My brother moves into it.... And continues to pay $50 a month rent. Now this move was literally a mile and a half away.... and driving past my mothers place on the way...
Fast forward to about 4 years ago, things have changed around here. our kids are grown and gone. We have no need for 2600 SqFt house. And we have a relator bombarding us with offers to buy the place... Our neighbor had asked years ago to give them a chance to make an offer If we ever sold.
Well one day I bumped into her and she asked about the relators latest offer... I told her... and she replies
" WOW... Thats alot of money for your place... I dont have that kind of money on hand, But if you can wait till Friday I can get you a Check"
We talked about it and decided to let it go.... and needed to find a new home.... SO we talk to my brother about putting a camper back at the old shack... That he still rents for $50 a month.... He says fine and askes Nancy.... who in turn offers to sell it to us as long as my brother can stay in the house...
So we end up back at our old home again living in a camper...... next door to the Millers old house....
Again the Millers were always part of our family, traveled together, family gatherings, good times and bad. We helped built the 2 car garage addition back in the early 90s, I was in Donnas hospital room when she passed away. Nelson still was family and passed about 15 years ago. He had Mortgaged the place to the hilt and owed alot of money it... his great grand children moved in, but made no payments, trashed it out, and when evicted took everything of any value. including pulling out any wiring... gotta love meth heads.
It sat abandoned for over 10 years. We started actively trying to buy it, but bank would not talk to us.... then we heard about it coming up for auction and we stood on the courthouse steps.... opening bid was $18000... and no one bid... including us.... 6 months later a crew arrives and starts cleaning the place up..
And tossed a bunch of junk onto our property... So when I talked to them, he give me the relators contact info... I wasn't to pleasant to begin with.
So I find out that She has been given the task of setting this up for an online auction, says she can help us make pre auction offer, and will get back to us.
When she called back... she floored us.... they would accept $6500 cash offer.....
So we now have a run down stripped out house that was our adopted grandparents as we always called them... My mother cried when she found out and walked inside... Talked to the Fire Dept about burning it for training, but theres just to much good left....
SO.....
Began the next chapter and we have totaly gutted the house, finished the garage the way Nelson always wanted to do...Got a permit and power back on a temporary pole, and are set to move the camper from this house to that one...
Some times I wish we had just set it a flame.... but Happy with the slow progress.... doing it ourselves, and basically debt free....

Back