My childhood mystery

Aunt Marg

SF VIP
This event happened to me back in the mid 1970's.

A large group of us, through a school funded program, went camping on a remote beach. We spent 4 days and three nights on the beach in tents. Our days were spent canoeing, exploring large expanses of rock outcropping and rock faces with their hieroglyphics, telling spooky stories and tales at night while sitting around the campfire, and just having fun.

There was a creepy old cabin set back on the beach, obscured (for the most part) by the growth of trees and brush, and said to be haunted, and aside from us on the remote beach, no one else was around.

We camped close together in our tents at night, and on our last day, packed-up, boarded the large boats we arrived on, and pulled away from the beach. We weren't far out of the bay when a student said, "look, the rocking chair on the deck is rocking".

Immediately, there was a buzz on the boat with all of us focusing our attention on the rocking chair rocking all by itself. We stared intently at the cabin, everyone absent of words. As the boat got farther and farther out, the beach became nothing more than a white dot in the distance, and for the remainder of the trip we stared at one another in silence, sitting quietly with our lifejackets on, not knowing what we had just experienced.

Last edited:
I have a garden swing on my large back verandah that’s filled in with lattice type sheeting to break the wind a bit and the swing rocks even on a breezy day rather than a strong wind day
But there again who knows ?
I worked in a kindergarten in my 40 ‘s and heard the front door close and as usual glanced from where I could see the door to make sure it was closed / latched properly ...I seen a man in a long black coat standing in the entrance , I was creeped out to find out latter it was a “man “ who visited once in a while looking for his deceased child
It was established in 1910 in a church hall and renovated over the years and altho it’s changed its name over the years the building is still operating as a day care centre in Adelaide city fringe for professional workers.

Copied from net *******
By 1924 the Church Hall had outlived its usefulness and the Committee was successful in securing a bequest of £2000 from the estate of the late Miss Alice king and a new building was planned. In 1925 the new premises were opened in Angus Street and was the first purpose-built

Last edited:
At the entrance to the old cemetery in Lincoln, NM (famous for the Lincoln County War, Billy the Kid, and other misdeeds), there is a turnstile (not original to the cemetery). As I approached it, it started slowly turning with a rasping sound. It wasn't particularly windy that day. I took it as a welcoming gesture......which was the only way to take it without running screaming down the road.....

Back