My family Christmas party is ON this year

We haven't had one since 2019. Everyone was scared of COVID, apparently.

I was down in the basement this morning looking for the "fun and games" I bring to play. I had to move a lot of boxes, but eventually found the box of "goodies". Also brought up the box of greeting cards so I can sort through them.

Last edited:
Yes, preparation for Christmas is often more fun than the event of Christmas Day. Greeting cards have largely gone away here in the 'States it seems. We used to get lots of them. Now, the only ones we get are from the dentist or doctor's office to remind us to come in next year, or from someone who we barely know or remember.

Getting out the house decor for the season brought the joy of the season to our house. And, we often left them up long after Christmas to remind us of winter time. Here in Los Angeles, California winter is often much like any other time of the year, sunny and warm. I suspect more like Christmas in Australia. But, Christmas in the U.S. is of pictures of snow and snow covered outdoors. Preparation for Christmas gets us in the mood and frame of mind. Most neighbors are busy decorating their homes as well.

Unfortunately, we in my location went through a period of distain for Christmas because of a political movement to become religion neutral or 'respect' for others' religions. So few if any stores or public places were decorated for Christmas, and no one greeted one another with "Merry Christmas". I think the kids really missed the season during those years. But, that has largely subsided. And, frequently now we hear the greeting once more: Merry Christmas.

I think the increases in postage have a lot to do with the decline of mailing holiday cards. I hand deliver to the family members at the party. I have a relative that doesn't hold with greeting cards saying they're expensive to buy and mail for something someone is going to look at for about 3 seconds, then toss.

Back