My flower garden

GeorgiaXplant

I could swear that we used to have a thread about gardening, but I can't find it. Flowers are what I love, and fortunately I live in the Southeast where there's a long growing season, usually from mid-March until mid-October.

Earlier this week when I was doing a walk-around in what I call the South 40 (it's a very big garden!), I noticed that there's a white azalea shrub in bloom. In October. It's not an Encore azalea (they bloom two or three times a year); it's just a regular garden-variety azalea.

I love surprises 😊

I spread seeds last April for Heavenly blue Morning Glories and have huge stalks with thousands of lovely leaves but only a couple of blooms.
Just as they were budding, the temperature dropped thirty degrees.
The next day I had one lonely, brave little flower blossom out of all the thousands of buds.

BTW: Maybe THIS is our new gardening thread!

Attachments

• 934.JPG
    934.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 3
BTW, anybody know where that gardening thread got to? It doesn't seem to fit in the Outdoors thread, which is all about hunting, fishing, camping...
I clicked on Search (toolbar above left). I
typed "Garden" in the Search box.
Then I clicked on Titles Only.

Then 100 Garden threads showed up. You can try that or if you give me the year it was first posted or anything you remember about it, like what member started the thread, then I could narrow it down for you.

That's how I figured out to put my post in Hobbies. What I meant was that I thought we used to have a specific forum just for gardens. I really don't remember when it was or who initiated it...just that it was a long time ago...

You have your profile limited as to who can see it so I can't look for you, but you can go and click on your "Postings". You will find all your posts back to the day you joined. Then scroll down to "a long time ago" where you participated in a Garden thread and click on it.

Meanwhile here's one with beautiful photos of favorite garden flowers from members...
https://www.seniorforums.com/thread...row-admire-or-associate-with-childhood.14033/

Last edited:
I spread seeds last April for Heavenly blue Morning Glories and have huge stalks with thousands of lovely leaves but only a couple of blooms.
Just as they were budding, the temperature dropped thirty degrees.
That's a disappointment. Those leaves are lovely , but those heavenly blue flowers are so beautiful! That specific type of morning glories, do usually take months to grow their stalks and vines and leaves first, before they begin to flower, but then, they are worth having waited for!

They don't mind some cold, and could flower through the autumn, but maybe not if you get too many cold nights, I don't remember exactly how much cold they can take.

But, perhaps your ground has too much natural nitrogen? Or is too rich? Those plants are wildflowers and don't do well if you give them lots of nice nutrients, even if it's in the forms of compost, etc.
Just thought I would share my ideas with you.

Last edited:
I could swear that we used to have a thread about gardening, but I can't find it. Flowers are what I love, and fortunately I live in the Southeast where there's a long growing season, usually from mid-March until mid-October.

Earlier this week when I was doing a walk-around in what I call the South 40 (it's a very big garden!), I noticed that there's a white azalea shrub in bloom. In October. It's not an Encore azalea (they bloom two or three times a year); it's just a regular garden-variety azalea.

I love surprises 😊
You definitely do have a much longer growing season that I do, in the Northeast. I love flowering plants though, too.:)

There always seem to be surprises, which make gardens very interesting. Each year, some of the things we expect or hope will grow well, don't, and some of them do well, or even much better than expected.
I too would be very surprised with an azalea flowering in October!:geek::giggle::love:

I came home early from work because I just wasn't feeling it. Thursdays are slow so it's not like my leaving put undue pressure on anybody else. I do feel guilty, tho.

Anyway, I came home and took a nap and feel much better now.

DD was out and about this morning and brought me a beautiful red & yellow mum. It just happened that I had a spare pot that's yellow and just the right size. Yippee.

At this time of year when most everything in the garden is just about done, I really appreciate having some late-blooming flowers, especially mums.

I love mums, too, and have often had some, in the flower bed, I can see from my window.
I do not have any mums this year, but there are still some other plants flowering, here in the North. Zinnia's, cleome's, geraniums, begonias, iris....All blooming flowers are extra welcome in Autumn!
Also the coleus foliage is still wonderful, bushy and multi-colored.
(And of course, our trees are grand, this time of year! )

I'm fighting a war with dollarweed. It used to be called pennywort. Is that inflation at work? (Tee hee...get it?) So far the dollarweed is winning.

I want to get rid of it in the lawn so that I can reseed. There's a product that "kills the weeds not the lawn" that works. It's expensive considering how much I need. So far I've emptied the first big jug and need at least two, probably three, refills. Sigh.

A few days ago I reseeded part of the lawn where I may have gotten rid of the !@#$%^&* dollarweed/pennywort. Yesterday I noticed that there are tiny, fine little shoots of grass popping up. Woohoo and stuff.

And now the azalea I'd mentioned is in full bloom. Nobody told it that this is October. Shhhhh! It's very pretty.

Okay, then! I woke the roosters up this morning because I was so excited that it's finally the day my rocking chair money is deposited (and tomorrow is payday at the biscuit shop where I report three mornings a week at 4 am).

At 7:30 DD took me to Home Depot to get lawn soil and grass seed and most of the rest of the lawn has been reseeded and well watered. Yippee. Now I get to sit on the patio and watch for it to sprout.

I wanted to spray the pennywort/dollarweed (inflation weed!) in another part of the lawn, but we're supposed to get rain and thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow and don't want the weed killer to get diluted/washed away.

In the General Discussions thread I expressed my surprise that Home Depot has put away all their Hallowe'en decorations and already put up everything related to Christmas. Why was I surprised? The "season" starts earlier every year! The only Hallowe'en decorations left? A display of pumpkins outside the front door🎃 There were zillions of evergreen shrubs🎄 in pots decorated with red bows. Wut?

You might want to give it a few days Georgia. I hope the birds don't get it before it grows.

We put fresh hay (not salted) over our reseeded patch one year and just raked it off when the grass grew.
Are you saying I'm over-anxious:)? LOL

The birds haven't been interested in the past when I've reseeded. I think it's because they don't like that the seeds are coated with fertilizer. The first year when I planted the lawn, I spread wheat straw but haven't been able to find clean wheat straw since then and don't want weird stuff sprouting between the blades of grass.

There are camellias in bloom in my garden! It's rather too early for them, but I'm not complaining. They usually start to bloom toward the end of November. The azaleas still don't know it's the wrong time of year. The white one is in full bloom, and yesterday I noticed that a red one is blooming as well.

Back