My Granddaughter Received Two Huge Scholarship Offers!

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
Our family is very proud of my granddaughter who has just gotten two huge scholarship offers. One was from Notre Dame University, the other from Nichols College. Nichols in Mass. was recommended by the CFO of the school where her mother is also an administrator. My granddaughter has been on the high honor roll since grammar school. I believe she will be offered more scholarships because as a junior she was "courted" by the STEM programs of major universities including Princeton, Rutgers and Cornell. She applied to Kean last Monday and got an acceptance letter (email) on Tuesday.
This is part of my son’s FB post:
"My baby works hard and takes her schooling seriously. I recognize this is an ongoing "village" effort. She's got a lot of support from many people. I'm super thankful for everyone that has poured, and continues to pour into her.
ALLAH-U-AKBAR (GOD IS THE GREATEST)"

And part of her mother’s post:
"God is GREAT!!!!! So proud of her
😁
🎊
🎉
🥳
Lay the foundation, they'll build the house because when we invest in our children they invest in themselves."

So true!
@Pecos

Last edited:
@OneEyedDiva that is fantastic. All her hard work, family and friends support has paid off. I wish her the best as she continues her education. You didn't mention what career she would like to pursue. I'm sure whatever she chooses she will do well.
Thank you. She's actually changed what she wants her major to be. She did very well in science and technology classes (thus the STEM offers) but now she says wants to major in Finance. She's particularly interested in the financial analyst field.

@Lewkat Thank you. This may be a tough decision. She's already indicated she would want to attend the best institution to suit her goals, but before that, she wanted to stay relatively close to home, which meant a N.J. university (Rutgers perhaps). Now, of course, these huge scholarships could play a key part in her decision. We can't wait to see which one she'll finally choose.

Last edited:
Our family is very proud of my granddaughter who has just gotten two huge scholarship offers. One was from Notre Dame University, the other from Nichols College. Nichols in Mass. was recommended by the CFO of the school where her mother is also an administrator. My granddaughter has been on the high honor roll since grammar school. I believe she will be offered more scholarships because as a junior she was "courted" by the STEM programs of major universities including Princeton, Rutgers and Cornell. She applied to Kean last Monday and got an acceptance letter (email) on Tuesday.
This is part of my son’s FB post:
"My baby works hard and takes her schooling seriously. I recognize this is an ongoing "village" effort. She's got a lot of support from many people. I'm super thankful for everyone that has poured, and continues to pour into her.
ALLAH-U-AKBAR (GOD IS THE GREATEST)"

And part of her mother’s post:
"God is GREAT!!!!! So proud of her
😁
🎊
🎉
🥳
Lay the foundation, they'll build the house because when we invest in our children they invest in themselves."

So true!
@Pecos
Wow, that is a fantastic achievement and your pride in her is justifying “over the top.”
Congratulations to you and the entire family that supported her along her path.
It does my heart good to read about young people succeeding like this. Her future is a bright star.

My granddaughter finally decided on Stockton University. The education is free but my son says he believes she'll have to pay for books. I started a 529 for her a few years ago but the advice in the 529 booklet is to wait until the senior year to use that money. But since the courses are free, perhaps the reasoning behind that advice doesn't apply. She will have the option of doing her own cooking (unlikely) since each apartment on the AC campus has a full kitchen. Or she can purchase meal plans, which I will cover. Stockton's Atlantic City, N.J. (AC) campus opened in 2018 and there's also a campus in Galloway, not far from AC.

I hope she winds up in the residential building in AC which is close to the boardwalk. That would work out well because our timeshare, which I stay in quite often, is in AC, close to where she would stay. We get exceptionally great rates whether nightly or weekly. I'm able to book two suites at a time using my owner rates. We can't believe our "Baby Girl" isn't a baby anymore. It's amazing how time flies and how fast they grow up!

Congratulations! I am sorry to be so late in discovering such momentous news re your granddaughter. How proud your family must be of her achievements. I look forward to hearing updates of this amazing young woman’s journey. Like you, she and the rest of your family will be included in my prayers. 🤗🥰
Thank you so much for your kind words Shalimar. Prayers are always appreciated! 🥰

My granddaughter finally decided on Stockton University. The education is free but my son says he believes she'll have to pay for books. I started a 529 for her a few years ago but the advice in the 529 booklet is to wait until the senior year to use that money. But since the courses are free, perhaps the reasoning behind that advice doesn't apply. She will have the option of doing her own cooking (unlikely) since each apartment on the AC campus has a full kitchen. Or she can purchase meal plans, which I will cover. Stockton's Atlantic City, N.J. (AC) campus opened in 2018 and there's also a campus in Galloway, not far from AC.

I hope she winds up in the residential building in AC which is close to the boardwalk. That would work out well because our timeshare, which I stay in quite often, is in AC, close to where she would stay. We get exceptionally great rates whether nightly or weekly. I'm able to book two suites at a time using my owner rates. We can't believe our "Baby Girl" isn't a baby anymore. It's amazing how time flies and how fast they grow up!
That is simply fantastic all the way around and with your sage guidance she is off to a great start. Has she expressed any interest in going on for a Graduate degree.

That is simply fantastic all the way around and with your sage guidance she is off to a great start. Has she expressed any interest in going on for a Graduate degree.
Thank you so much Pecos. Her mother said she's making plans for the future but I haven't yet gotten the specifics. She's studied so hard for so long, I kind of hope she'll have time to give her brain a rest. Also, it may depend on whether or not she gets into the field she wants soon after graduating.

Back