My grandma

I miss my grandma, too - I talk to her all the time - sometimes I think she's actually listening, sometimes I even believe she has a hand in steering me in the right direction...

grandma only made it to the 6th grade, but in retrospect she was one of the wisest people I've ever personally known.

also, wanting to say, 'welcome aboard'...

I'm in rural Kentucky - where on this vast planet are you?

Welcome to the Senior Forums.

Pull up a seat,,look around,,lots of topics & folks from other countries.

Two people I miss the most , my fraternal grandfather, who was my childhood best friend.
And my mother who passed age 58.

She never got to see her grand sons grow up to be the fine young men they are today.

I miss my grandma, too - I talk to her all the time - sometimes I think she's actually listening, sometimes I even believe she has a hand in steering me in the right direction...

grandma only made it to the 6th grade, but in retrospect she was one of the wisest people I've ever personally known.

also, wanting to say, 'welcome aboard'...

I'm in rural Kentucky - where on this vast planet are you?
Nice to meet people that feel the same like I do. I am in Texas , you seem really nice. I am new here

Welcome to the Senior Forums.

Pull up a seat,,look around,,lots of topics & folks from other countries.

Two people I miss the most , my fraternal grandfather, who was my childhood best friend.
And my mother who passed age 58.

She never got to see her grand sons grow up to be the fine young men they are today.
Nice to meet you. She would surely be proud in heaven

Nice to meet people that feel the same like I do. I am in Texas , you seem really nice. I am new here

I've only recently joined, too. SF is proving to be both a friendly and an active forum that has a global membership.

So, immerse yourself. post and participate. research the achieved threads. find something? resurrect it and add something new.

there's threads of commonality to be found here. we're glad you found us/

where in Texas? I spent some time in Houston when my union had a hall there...

I don't think my Grandma liked me much. Every time I was in the room with her she would say, "Oof Ta Fa Sauten!" (Norse) (like she was swearing)
Never did know what it meant but I thought it was something bad and it referred to ME! hahaha!

I never realized what an incredible woman she was until after she died!

I don't think my Grandma liked me much. Every time I was in the room with her she would say, "Oof Ta Fa Sauten!" (Norse) (like she was swearing)
Never did know what it meant but I thought it was something bad and it referred to ME! hahaha!

I can't find that phrase in any translation... it's not Norwegian... .perhaps the spelling is wrong..

It is “uff da” not “oof ta fa” and is an expression of annoyance in Norwegian It is not “sauten”, it is “souten” means step-wife.

So together they may have meant go away step wife. The term was used mainly in Minnesota where hundreds of thousands of Norwegians lived when they left Norway in the 1800s

It is “uff da” not “oof ta fa” and is an expression of annoyance in Norwegian It is not “sauten”, it is “souten” means step-wife.

So together they may have meant go away step wife. The term was used mainly in Minnesota where hundreds of thousands of Norwegians lived when they left Norway in the 1800s
thanks for that Shero... so all this time @Gaer maybe grandma wasn't referring to you after all ... :D

Hi @Maryelizabeth888, I never got to know my grandmothers, they passed before I was old enough to remember them. Sorry for your loss, how long has she been gone? Are you a grandma yourself, do you have any children?

full

My grandparents lived right next door to us. They both were like a second set of parents.
My grandma was a wonderful cook, she could be funny at times. I remember playing Lotto with her and my mom when I had a snow day, then we would have a cup of tea and she would pretend to read the tea leaves. I believed everything she said.

Hi Maryelizabeth and welcome.

Sadly, I never knew my grandparents. My father came to the U.S. from Germany and his parents never visited and we never went to Germany. My maternal grandmother passed at age 58 and her husband (my grandfather) only spoke Slovak and lived in New York. I grew up in Ohio. I only met him once when I was about 5 or 6. I was scared of him.

In all the many chat boards I've been a part of over the years, I've enjoyed hearing others tell fond memories of their grandparents. My grandchildren are 11 year old twin boys and I hope they will have wonderful memories of me when they are adults. I sure have tried to give them good memories from Grandma's house.

I miss my grandma so much she meant the world to me
I know about that, My grandma raised me, I loved her dearly and still do. Only now I miss her everyday since she left us in 1975. I'm 82 years old and would still give anything to have her alive today, so I could tell her how much I love her. We weren't a family that said things like that . She never told me she loved me...............but I know she did and I hope she knew I loved her so much.

Back