My grandmother keeps watching tv to pass the time, how do i convince her to do something else?

paulbidner

my grandmother is 77 and she was aging in place on her terms, but now she hurt her hip and is basically chairbound. her roommate (and in-law and good friend) also moved out like 3 months ago and so i noticed she started getting lonely, and basically is now watching tv all day (mostly the news)

any suggestions for what she could do instead? i feel like she's cognitively atrophying a bit and watching tv all day can't be good for her... any suggestions?

A couch potato is not a good way to live. Sitting in front of that "idiot" box and cheap baby-sitter will eventually turn her mind into something like mush (read dementia/Alzheimer's). Life is short and life is precious. There are plenty of senior centers around. Join one. Take a walk in the park once she gets something done with that hip. How about a cruise for singles, if you got the money. Maybe she could use a friend to do things with (male or female). Join a church group if your religious. Lots to do if she puts her mind to it. However, I would not recommend her to try zip lining or bungee jumping.

since she's chair bound i think things from her computer (as long as they're interactive) could help too. i'll tell her bout these forums so she can make friends on here, if that happens alot on this website? i think she just wants people to talk to and be proactive rather than just sit passively and watch tv you know?

since she's chair bound i think things from her computer (as long as they're interactive) could help too. i'll tell her bout these forums so she can make friends on here, if that happens alot on this website? i think she just wants people to talk to and be proactive rather than just sit passively and watch tv you know?
I just turned 50 back in February and 50 is the age where you can join this forum. I am also very new here and I would definitely tell your grandmother about this forum here.

Teach her to use a computer. There are many forums where someone can interact with others. I am 88 and find many interesting sites.
any recommendations? she loves history and mahjong? any easy ways for her to find out about forums by group? or message people directly within her area (in los angeles area)? thank you to everyone for these helpful suggestions!

In what way did she hurt her hip? Did she have medical care for it, or physical therapy? A lot of that can be co ended by Medicare with the eight medical orders. It’s amazing what can be accomplished with the right care, but the patient has to be willing to participate and be a little uncomfortable at times. if she is sitting all the time what does she do for groceries, housekeeping, all the basic necessities. She should also be checked ht medically and for depression.
Even tho she wants to age in place sometimes the right Senior housing or assisted living can promote a change for the better.

seems like you really should meet with a health professional familiar with elderly issues.

And the professional would assess a range of things...like her hearing, pain level, injuries, medical problems, cognitive difficulties.

I would imagine a full review of her medical profile would be advisable in order to determine how to approach the issue.

Back