My infection horror story..glad to be back home.

Hello friends..

Two days ago I came home from the hospital where I spent nearly a week, and I’m now safely on the mend at home. The final diagnosis was “Nasal Cellulitis”. It is a painful skin infection that happens when bacteria enter a break in your skin, and it can become life-threatening if left untreated. I’m so thankful they finally found the magic recipe to cure it, as for a while it looked like it could have been MRSA.
(MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus). Infections range from mild to very serious, even life- threatening. MRSA is contagious and can be spread to other people through skin-to- skin contact.) Thankfully, it was not MRSA.

Anybody not interested in the gory details can stop reading now. Wink Wink.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Anyway, the whole thing started on Sep. 30th when I woke up to what looked like a big pimple right on the tip of my nose. It hurt like the dickens and the next day, and it felt and looked more like a boil. On Mon. it was even worse with more eruptions that looked the same as the first. Tues and Wed. my Dr. was not in, but I sent a picture of my very painful nose to his office, and she made an appointment for me to see him the following morning on Thurs. He gave me a big bootie shot of antibiotic, along with pills.

The next day the entire lower nose, including the nostrils was under attack with the same. I was told to get myself to the ER and Bowmore (DH) had to leave me at the front door because of the Covid crisis. I can’t even explain how scared I was, since I’ve taken every possible precaution to not be even remotely exposed to it. Without my Steve by my side I felt soooo lost. It was time for me to be brave, and I really tried after giving my bottom lip a hard bite.
I was immediately tested for covid, and it was negative.

The nightmare began when the needles started. I’m what’s known as a very “hard stick” and getting an IV line started in each arm with several attempts by three different people was hell to put it bluntly. The needle sticks for blood draws, (often every two hours) continued for the rest of my time there. The worst one was a needle stick in the big Arthritic joint of my thumb. DANG All the black and blue marks on my arms and hands will go away with time.
They put me in a private (beautiful room with a view) at the end of the day to continue trying to figure this thing out. I had pain like my nose had been attacked by a swarm of honey bee stings and the pain continued. That’s the best way I can think of to describe it. I had high powered pain killers available if requested, but most of the time I gritted my teeth because of the possible Opioid addiction I’d never want to deal with.

Anyway, Back home now, Bowmore made a spread sheet for the many oral medications to be taken for the next week or so. I have a follow up office appointment with the infectious diseases Dr. who was just one of the many Drs. who took such good care of me.

Just one more point…

I have a theory of why this may have happened, if anyone is interested. It was brought to my attention by Joey, my son.
I seldom have to wear a mask, as I hardly ever leave the house except for Dr. appointments. I would never think of going without one when is needed, as I know they save lives.
The end of Aug. I needed three day battery of tests for my heart on an out patient basis.(Good results). I wore my cloth mask on every day then.
My possible theory has not been discounted by the medical staff onboard.
There could have been a nasty bug inside my mask that infected the tip of my nose.
Nobody will ever know for sure, but I will never wear my cloth mask more than once before it has been thoroughly sanitized before it’s worn again.
I came home and added a solution of water and alcohol to a zip lock baggie, and soaked the mask for several hours, and then washed it by hand to dry. That’s something to think about. Bowmore will do the same with his.

The bottom line is “being paranoid does not mean someone or something isn’t really out get you”.

Last edited:
What a horrible experience for you. It's a pity you had to wait so long to see a doctor or it might have been caught sooner. The nose does contain all sorts of bacteria, so I suppose this is something else we need to be aware of when wearing a mask.

Glad you're doing better.
Just on instinct, after each mask use, I've always sprayed both sides with alcohol. I don't know if it does any good, but it doesn't hurt.
Mine are the paper ones, but the alcohol doesn't affect them like I thought it would.

Hello friends..

Two days ago I came home from the hospital where I spent nearly a week, and I’m now safely on the mend at home. The final diagnosis was “Nasal Cellulitis”. It is a painful skin infection that happens when bacteria enter a break in your skin, and it can become life-threatening if left untreated. I’m so thankful they finally found the magic recipe to cure it, as for a while it looked like it could have been MRSA.
(MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus). Infections range from mild to very serious, even life- threatening. MRSA is contagious and can be spread to other people through skin-to- skin contact.) Thankfully, it was not MRSA.

Anybody not interested in the gory details can stop reading now. Wink Wink.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Anyway, the whole thing started on Sep. 30th when I woke up to what looked like a big pimple right on the tip of my nose. It hurt like the dickens and the next day, and it felt and looked more like a boil. On Mon. it was even worse with more eruptions that looked the same as the first. Tues and Wed. my Dr. was not in, but I sent a picture of my very painful nose to his office, and she made an appointment for me to see him the following morning on Thurs. He gave me a big bootie shot of antibiotic, along with pills.
The next day the entire lower nose, including the nostrils was under attack with the same. I was told to get myself to the ER and Bowmore (DH) had to leave me at the front door because of the Covid crisis. I can’t even explain how scared I was, since I’ve taken every possible precaution to not be even remotely exposed to it. Without my Steve by my side I felt soooo lost. It was time for me to be brave, and I really tried after giving my bottom lip a hard bite.
I was immediately tested for covid, and it was negative.
The nightmare began when the needles started. I’m what’s known as a very “hard stick” and getting an IV line started in each arm with several attempts by three different people was hell to put it bluntly. The needle sticks for blood draws, (often every two hours) continued for the rest of my time there. The worst one was a needle stick in the big Arthritic joint of my thumb. DANG All the black and blue marks on my arms and hands will go away with time.
They put me in a private (beautiful room with a view) at the end of the day to continue trying to figure this thing out. I had pain like my nose had been attacked by a swarm of honey bee stings and the pain continued. That’s the best way I can think of to describe it. I had high powered pain killers available if requested, but most of the time I gritted my teeth because of the possible Opioid addiction I’d never want to deal with.
Anyway, Back home now, Bowmore made a spread sheet for the many oral medications to be taken for the next week or so. I have a follow up office appointment with the infectious diseases Dr. who was just one of the many Drs. who took such good care of me.

Just one more point…

I have a theory of why this may have happened, if anyone is interested. It was brought to my attention by Joey, my son.
I seldom have to wear a mask, as I hardly ever leave the house except for Dr. appointments. I would never think of going without one when is needed, as I know they save lives.
The end of Aug. I needed three day battery of tests for my heart on an out patient basis.(Good results). I wore my cloth mask on every day then.
My possible theory has not been discounted by the medical staff onboard.
There could have been a nasty bug inside my mask that infected the tip of my nose.
Nobody will ever know for sure, but I will never wear my cloth mask more than once before it has been thoroughly sanitized before it’s worn again.
I came home and added a solution of water and alcohol to a zip lock baggie, and soaked the mask for several hours, and then washed it by hand to dry. That’s something to think about. Bowmore will do the same with his.

The bottom line is “being paranoid does not mean someone or something isn’t really out get you”.

🌹 Ouch Kayelle, what an ordeal! So sorry, but happy you're getting better!

Good Lord Kayelle.. what a scary ordeal.. :eek:, the pain must have been horrendous , are you still in some level of pain ?:unsure:

Your theory about the masks is one for us to bear in mind.

Hope you get well very soon...it's good to see you back posting..

Get-well-soon.gif

Good Lord Kayelle.. what a scary ordeal.. :eek:, the pain must have been horrendous , are you still in some level of pain ?:unsure:

Your theory about the masks is one for us to bear in mind.

Hope you get well very soon...it's good to see you back posting..

Get-well-soon.gif
Aww, thanks Holly. Nope, no more pain, and it looks even better today. The scabs look pretty gross, but the Bacitraycin ointment is helping the healing. I'm less worried now about being badly scared. Ykies!I don't want anyone staring at the end of my nose forever, when we no longer need to wear a mask.o_O:LOL:

Update:

We saw my Infectious Disease Dr. in his office on Wed. By the way, he's the guru at the hospital for Covid. A really terrific guy with a great bed side manner, and older than my cookie sheets.
wink.gif
He was really happy to see how well I've healed since leaving the hospital. The skin color on the end of the nose looks bruised, but he said that would fade like the bruises all over my arms and hands. He said to call him next week to follow up on the phone.

WARNING:
ohmy.gif
For those of you who don't want to see icky stuff..exit now.
blink.gif

These are pictures of before and after the hospital. It was at least 3 times worse when I was there, but the pictures they took there have only been seen by me and the Doctors. I'm glad @bowmore never saw them then, or now.

Attachments

• nose 1 (2).jpg
    nose 1 (2).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 4
  • nose 2 (2).jpg
    nose 2 (2).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 4
  • nose3 (2).jpg
    nose3 (2).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 4
  • nose4 (2).jpg
    nose4 (2).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 4
  • nose5 (3).jpg
    nose5 (3).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 5
So glad you're getting better, Kayelle and sorry for what you've been through. About 3 yrs ago my Hubby got cellulitis in one leg; they were able to save his leg, we lucked out, got a doc at the ER who figured it out really quick. He had scars on his leg for close to a year.

Good to hear your on the mend ..that sounds very scary especially having to go to a hospital in our very uncertain times.

We've been very lucky in South Aust and haven’t had to wear a mask ( unlike the state of Victoria )
however I have chosen to wear a mask / neck scarf when I the supermarket, and I always wash / sanitise with a product I get from Aldi https://www.aldi.com.au/en/grocerie...re-detail/ps/p/di-san-laundry-sanitiser-1l-1/

These infections can become deadly very quickly. You’re one lucky lady that the doctors did the right things.

The one good thing about needing to wear masks right now is that you can hide your nose until it heels. 😉

Thanks so much for all the good wishes.

Yesterday marked 16 days since I left the hospital and both of us have stayed in isolation, except for the follow up Dr. appointment.

I have been concerned that I picked up Covid in the hospital, so yesterday we went to the local drive through testing. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad as we got to stick the swab up our own noses, as far as it would go. Ick, but better me than someone else.

We then drove to the ocean for our emotional comfort. It works wonders for us, just sitting there watching the surf.

Here's the best part and the end of the story...
The results came back by way of text this morning and we BOTH TESTED NEGATIVE.
clap.gif
heart.gif
clap.gif

Thanks so much for all the good wishes.

Yesterday marked 16 days since I left the hospital and both of us have stayed in isolation, except for the follow up Dr. appointment.

I have been concerned that I picked up Covid in the hospital, so yesterday we went to the local drive through testing. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad as we got to stick the swab up our own noses, as far as it would go. Ick, but better me than someone else.

We then drove to the ocean for our emotional comfort. It works wonders for us, just sitting there watching the surf.

Here's the best part and the end of the story...
The results came back by way of text this morning and we BOTH TESTED NEGATIVE.
clap.gif
heart.gif
clap.gif
So glad to hear that, Kayelle, yay!!:love:

Back