My Journey - Like It Or Not!

MrPants

I arrived here at this forum today so let's start there. The past doesn't have any significance other than to say it made me who I am today.

In my place on the earth we are now having 9 hours of daylight, moving from the 24 hours of darkness we had just last month in December and now moving toward the 24 hours of daylight we will have in June 2021. It's something you never really get used to; at least I haven't :(

Tomorrow, which it almost is now, will mark 4 years since I stopped smoking. This may not seem like much of a big deal to most but it will to other smokers who have also quit. They say addiction to nicotine is one of the hardest addictions to walk away from. I don't know if that's true but I do know it was a long journey - roughly a year to become really comfortable as a nonsmoker. I didn't do it to live longer; I did to live better! to anyone out there who might be considering quitting, please do it. Freedom from addiction is well worth the struggle. Feel free to PM me if you want any input from me on getting started and resources to help you along the way.

Enough about that. I'm glad to be here; a part of this amazing forum and I hope to be able to add something to the group along the way :)

Quitting does not get you out of danger. Get a chest x-ray annually or whenever. I was at the doctor yesterday and she asked me was I ever a smoker? I quit 30 years ago.

Quitting does not get you out of danger. Get a chest x-ray annually or whenever. I was at the doctor yesterday and she asked me was I ever a smoker? I quit 30 years ago.
Yes. I've had an X-Ray and a CT scan since I quit. As you say, quitting doesn't eliminate issues but at least by quitting we don't continue to facilitate negative health issues.

Welcome to our forum! Congratulations on quitting smoking!!! I never did that, but my son does and sadly, he is disabled and I cannot motivate him to quit. He is the grumpiest, angriest person if he runs out.
I get it; the grumpy part! As an addict, we are slaves to our addiction until we put our foot down and break free. As a smoker, you are in a constant state of withdrawal. It starts every time you put out your cigarette. You know, the thing I never realized when I first quit was just how much my addiction to nicotine controlled my daily life. I mean the whole day, every day. Turned out the most valuable benefit of quitting is my freedom; not so much health improvements. Go figure!
There's no question it's harder for those disabled whether physically or mentally to quit but it IS possible. I've seen it happen myself so if your son ever wants to take the leap, PM me. I can pass on some info. to you on a great support group that helped me a lot. I was shocked at how much they were able to help me out with support and great knowledge about nicotine addiction and how to deal with quitting.

I was actually posted at Inuvik NWT prior to Iqaluit, doing similar work so flew from there, not Toronto. It was quite a journey actually. Took 3 days lol. The issue is airline scheduling is very limited. Flew from Inuvik to Yellowknife with an overnight stop over there. Flew from Yellowknife to Rankin Inlet with a 2 day stop over there. Final flight was Rankin to Iqaluit. When you live for any period of time in the far north, you come to expect arduous situations that others give hardly any thought to elsewhere. Many things in the far north are limited and expensive.

@RubyK had asked about where I live (Iqaluit) so thought I'd include some info. for those interested in life in the far north.

I've been in Iqaluit now for awhile, under my work contract which has been extended several times. My current contract is up end of March and my new contract has me stationed in Tuktoyaktuk, N.W.T. for the next 6 months to a year. I have been stationed in numerous Arctic outposts over the years and life is for sure very different than in any other southern community. Some good things and some not so good, just very different.

We have 2 seasons: winter (dark season) and bug season (light season). Obviously in winter, weather is an issue with not only bitterly cold weather but wind as well. There are no trees here to block wind currents. Similar to many areas in the prairies except we have hills lol. Wind chills particularly at night can freeze skin in minutes so you must be covered up completely when venturing outdoors in those conditions. I also tear pieces off cotton balls and put them in my nostrils so they don't freeze together when I breath through my nose outdoors. Works great! Quality outerwear rated for extreme cold and wearing multiple layers of breathable clothing beneath is the key to staying warm & safe in the Arctic winter weather.

Isolation is a factor for some although I've never felt that is was a negative. I more wonder how I will integrate back into "southern" life when I retire, which is coming very soon. Of course there's no traffic issues at all - lol. Modes of transport are multiple including snowmobile, dog sleds and of course a decent, sturdy truck with good suspension! Travel routes are subject to seasons though. Many winter roads are actually ice-roads. Basically, frozen ice over the Arctic ocean or other rivers and or lakes.
Ice Road.jpg

The other big issue living in Arctic locations where there's no road access is food. Food prices are through the roof as compared to southern communities. When there's no road access, food must come in by air or by ship. Either way, it adds tremendous costs. Local Inuit populations often protest the high cost of food in their communities. I can't say I blame them.
Coffee On Sale.jpg
People here tend to live off the land and sea as much as possible. Meat products and growing your own herbs and veggies where possible is high on the list of priorities here. Lots of green house structures attached to houses so people can get a jump on the growing season. In terms of meat, Caribou is the most popular. Musk Ox is really good when you can get it off a local hunter. Roasts are delish. and it can also be ground to make burgers or meatloaf. The only thing I won't eat is seal - Yuk! Arctic Char is plentiful here and is a fabulous tasting fish and really good for you - lots of Omega3!
The local Inuit people are very friendly and accommodating. There's a real sense of community in any of the towns I've lived in up here. If you have a problem, lots of people will reach out to help you. Open door policy is pretty common too. Pretty much the only crime in the north is due to substance abuse, or the substance abuse itself! Inuit youth are not following in the footsteps of their elders so much anymore. Lots of idle time and somehow, easy access to drugs and alcohol make for a bad outcome. It's a shame because traditionally these people are super nice and caring folk.

Looking forward to getting to Tuktoyaktuk as I haven't yet travelled on the new road that was completed a couple years ago. Tuk used to be isolated with only a winter ice road but nothing for spring, summer or early fall travel. The new ITH (Inuvik Tuktoyaktuk Highway) was built in spite of issues with the permafrost using numerous bridges and culverts in it's construction. Time will tell if the road is sustainable as climate issues are an increasing threat to the fragile Arctic environment.

I arrived here at this forum today so let's start there. The past doesn't have any significance other than to say it made me who I am today.

In my place on the earth we are now having 9 hours of daylight, moving from the 24 hours of darkness we had just last month in December and now moving toward the 24 hours of daylight we will have in June 2021. It's something you never really get used to; at least I haven't :(

Tomorrow, which it almost is now, will mark 4 years since I stopped smoking. This may not seem like much of a big deal to most but it will to other smokers who have also quit. They say addiction to nicotine is one of the hardest addictions to walk away from. I don't know if that's true but I do know it was a long journey - roughly a year to become really comfortable as a nonsmoker. I didn't do it to live longer; I did to live better! to anyone out there who might be considering quitting, please do it. Freedom from addiction is well worth the struggle. Feel free to PM me if you want any input from me on getting started and resources to help you along the way.

Enough about that. I'm glad to be here; a part of this amazing forum and I hope to be able to add something to the group along the way :)
The urge for a cigarette pulls at me on occasion during times of stress due to the fact that this is when I usually lit up back then. I smoked for 30 years. There will be days you will want one so badly it will overwhelm you. Even now. Try to ride it out. It will make things easier in the long run.

I can not imagine living with periods of 24 hrs. of darkness and 24 hrs. of light for what months at a time? Much like a season? I can only imagine that must really mess with your sleep schedule.

@RubyK had asked about where I live (Iqaluit) so thought I'd include some info. for those interested in life in the far north.

I've been in Iqaluit now for awhile, under my work contract which has been extended several times. My current contract is up end of March and my new contract has me stationed in Tuktoyaktuk, N.W.T. for the next 6 months to a year. I have been stationed in numerous Arctic outposts over the years and life is for sure very different than in any other southern community. Some good things and some not so good, just very different.

We have 2 seasons: winter (dark season) and bug season (light season). Obviously in winter, weather is an issue with not only bitterly cold weather but wind as well. There are no trees here to block wind currents. Similar to many areas in the prairies except we have hills lol. Wind chills particularly at night can freeze skin in minutes so you must be covered up completely when venturing outdoors in those conditions. I also tear pieces off cotton balls and put them in my nostrils so they don't freeze together when I breath through my nose outdoors. Works great! Quality outerwear rated for extreme cold and wearing multiple layers of breathable clothing beneath is the key to staying warm & safe in the Arctic winter weather.

Isolation is a factor for some although I've never felt that is was a negative. I more wonder how I will integrate back into "southern" life when I retire, which is coming very soon. Of course there's no traffic issues at all - lol. Modes of transport are multiple including snowmobile, dog sleds and of course a decent, sturdy truck with good suspension! Travel routes are subject to seasons though. Many winter roads are actually ice-roads. Basically, frozen ice over the Arctic ocean or other rivers and or lakes.
View attachment 151393

The other big issue living in Arctic locations where there's no road access is food. Food prices are through the roof as compared to southern communities. When there's no road access, food must come in by air or by ship. Either way, it adds tremendous costs. Local Inuit populations often protest the high cost of food in their communities. I can't say I blame them.
View attachment 151394
People here tend to live off the land and sea as much as possible. Meat products and growing your own herbs and veggies where possible is high on the list of priorities here. Lots of green house structures attached to houses so people can get a jump on the growing season. In terms of meat, Caribou is the most popular. Musk Ox is really good when you can get it off a local hunter. Roasts are delish. and it can also be ground to make burgers or meatloaf. The only thing I won't eat is seal - Yuk! Arctic Char is plentiful here and is a fabulous tasting fish and really good for you - lots of Omega3!
The local Inuit people are very friendly and accommodating. There's a real sense of community in any of the towns I've lived in up here. If you have a problem, lots of people will reach out to help you. Open door policy is pretty common too. Pretty much the only crime in the north is due to substance abuse, or the substance abuse itself! Inuit youth are not following in the footsteps of their elders so much anymore. Lots of idle time and somehow, easy access to drugs and alcohol make for a bad outcome. It's a shame because traditionally these people are super nice and caring folk.

Looking forward to getting to Tuktoyaktuk as I haven't yet travelled on the new road that was completed a couple years ago. Tuk used to be isolated with only a winter ice road but nothing for spring, summer or early fall travel. The new ITH (Inuvik Tuktoyaktuk Highway) was built in spite of issues with the permafrost using numerous bridges and culverts in it's construction. Time will tell if the road is sustainable as climate issues are an increasing threat to the fragile Arctic environment.
Fascinating. I couldn't do it, even though I'm a New Englander and used to snow, your cold is way too much for me!

Do you work outside?
My work involves a combination of both inside/outside work. I can't get into specifics because of contractual issues but, clearly I try and schedule my outside work around the really nasty days.
In terms of the light/dark issue - you get used to it. I have a great set of black-out blinds for summer. Winter is a drag though, I must admit. My employer springs of a couple of light therapy lights that I use in winter months. Not sure they do a lot. Hard to replace good old sunlight.

The one thing that is really a treat though is witnessing the aurora borealis in person! That is really an awe inspiring, humbling sight. I've tried to photograph it several times but my camera is way too crappy to capture the vivid, undulating colours as they dance across the sky. It really is breathtaking!

Hey, Mr. Pants! Yippee! Congratulations! I'm ticked you quit smoking!
My brother smoked continually for years and if we tried to suggest he stop, he got furious!
he was shy and withdrawn so this was completely not him!
but,
After he was diagnosed with lung cancer, he would go up to ANYONE SMOKING and urge them to stop!
Anyway, proud of you!

Hey, Mr. Pants! Yippee! Congratulations! I'm ticked you quit smoking!
My brother smoked continually for years and if we tried to suggest he stop, he got furious!
he was shy and withdrawn so this was completely not him!
but,
After he was diagnosed with lung cancer, he would go up to ANYONE SMOKING and urge them to stop!
Anyway, proud of you!
Hardest thing I've ever done for sure but well worth it (y)

@Mr. Pants ~ The description of the area where you live is fascinating. Thanks. I'm not sure I could live there. My area had some minus 0 F temps in the last couple of weeks and it was not fun. Today it will be 40F and I'm rejoicing.

I gave up smoking when I was in my 20s and it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. Congratulations to you for quitting.

What made you choose the name Mr. Pants for this forum?

Thank you for your fascinating descriptions of life in the far, far North!
I quit smoking at 10:30 p, on June 11, 2009, just before the ambulance came for the heart attack I was having. While I was in hosp. daughter came and took away all the cigs and ashtrays. I never went back, luckily no withdrawal symptoms. What I missed most was the other folks on the smoke breaks. No further heart events either. Good cardiogram as these days. I was extremely lucky that I have no lung damage, the Drs are always impressed when they listen to them. I credit having been a year round lap swimmer for most of my adult life, all that rhythmic deep breathing in and out; soaking in all those chemicals so many times a week for keeping most germs at bay.
Thinking back, it literally horrifies me to think of all the money I literally just burnt up.

Wow, how interesting!!!! And what a great attitude you have! 🥰

I quit smoking for 5 years one time so I well know the battle. Hardest thing, honestly, that I ever did in my life. I had kicked it, didn’t miss it and I was free!

Then my husband’s next youngest brother died. I looked out the window and saw my husband sitting alone and smoking a cigarette soon after we heard the news. I felt so sorry for him and wanted to be with him. So I went out and we talked and cried.

I reached for a cigarette...he tried to stop me.... but I said “no, just one!” Well you would have thought I had just put out my last cigarette 5 minutes ago, rather than 5 years. And I was off and running 😢

So word to the wise....never think you can have “just one” ever, never again!!!!!

So VERY VERY PROUD of YOU!!!!!!

Back