My Montana Western art

Gaer

"Angel whisperer"
I just went through the whole thread of "Cowboy Heros" and it was amazing! Thought I would show some of my Western art. This is a good time to get out your paints and brushes! I didn't start painting until I was 65! You can paint too! It's fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0850.JPG
    IMG_0850.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 178.JPG
    178.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 394.JPG
    394.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 551.JPG
    551.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 17
Believe me I CANNOT paint...unless it's with emulsion on a house wall... I am absolutely talentless in the arts and crafts movement... ( except for my photography)...

However your paintings are great and to have only taken it up at 65 is amazing...
HollyDolly: PHOTOGRAPHY IS ART! My late husband bought me paints and a canvas and said "Paint!" I told him"I can't paint and have no interest in it!" When I tried it, it came so easy. "Wow, This is fun!"

Last edited:
HollyDolly: PHOTOGRAPHY IS ART! My late husband boughtme paints and a canvas and said "Paint!" I told him"I can't paint and have no interest in it!" When I tried it, it came so easy. "Wow, This is fun!"
LOL>>. I know photography is art, but I don't think of it in the same way as someone who can paint or create amazing things with their hands or their voice for example ..( altho' my o/h heartily disagrees)

I have an easel and paints that I've had for many years and I'll get them out every so often and give it another try... but it's just a waste of time for me... I'm useless...

Gaer these paintings are incredible. I love the subject matter as well. I have tried to paint. Years ago we visited Vermont to see the fall leaves. I was so inspired that I got the paints,brushes and everything else that made me look like I knew what I was doing. I sat in front of that canvas and nothing happened. I was so depressed.
I guess I'll stick with my little crafts and sewing machine and be happy.
You should find a place to show your work. I'm sure others will appreciate your talent and enjoy your paintings.

Gaer, your paintings simply blow me away.

Using watercolors, I have painted two of our pets. It took me forever, and much to my surprise, they actually look like my cat Kaley and Gracie one of our Bichons. But I had to do them over and over again until they were minimally acceptable. Art is simply not one of my strong suites. My wife liked them enough to frame them, but maybe that was in simple recognition of how much effort I put into them.

Ruth n Jersey: Therein lies the problem. I have a gallery but never frequented. I like CREATING but not selling or marketing. I think my children will inherit these and not know what to do with them. They have their OWN style!

I took an art class once that was titled "Drawing for the Artistically Impaired". It was supposed to teach people to use the "other side" of their brains. I found out that I was truly "artistically impaired" on both sides.

I want to draw.....oh how I want to....but I just can't.

Did you TRY? If you want to draw, DRAW! Just try. You can't make a mistake! Get a pencil with an eraser! It doesn't have to be realistic. Draw YOUR IMPRESSION of something. Forget the fancy classes. Just try! I bet you'll be surprised!
I was never encouraged to do anything artistic. Well meaning friends and family would tell me, "Keep your day job." "Are you still trying to do artwork? Give it up." "you have NO talent!"
You know what? I don't care! I don't care if NO ONE likes my work. The important thing is the creation. I'm going to post some more of mywork!

I hope you guys don't mind. There are a few more paintings I'd like to show you. I INVITE ALL OF YOU TO POST ANY OF YOUR PAINTINGS HERE TOO! I'd love to see your work!

Attachments

• 679.JPG
    679.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 550.JPG
    550.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 676.JPG
    676.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 636.JPG
    636.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 554.JPG
    554.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 5
I use oils and acrylic. I like acrylic but sometimes the only way you can get specific, rich colors is by using oils. Thanks,Marlene!
Boy! When I try to post pictures, they really do their own thing! Don't they? hahaha!

Gaer, you have such a way of getting the emotion across of the subject you are painting. I'm no art critic but the talent you have in conveying that is extraordinary in my book. Please let us see more. It's like the seniors having their own private showing.

Do you paint these from copies you are looking at or just from a creative memory?
No! Copy art is not even art, to me! I would never copy another! These are out of my head. I "see" a painting I'm supposed to bring to life, and I paint it. The painting of the Mexican, "The Patriot" was painted in less than a hour. I paint, (or sculpt) VERY QUICKLY! Too quickly, I guess. If I really took my time, I could probably do a lot better.

Back