My Potato Salad is Blah

Jules

SF VIP
After several tries, I’ve dug through the recipes here and tried some of the ingredients. Some are almost the same as what I make.

Is there a secret ingredient that gives it flavour, preferably not a herb that I need to head out to the grocery store.

Does anyone have a copycat recipe for Costco Kirkland Potato Salad? I can’t define what the difference is with it.

Essentially I start with new potatoes, chopped onions, Hellmans, chopped hard-boiled eggs, S&P.

Sometimes I use hot potatoes, sometimes cold. No celery, though may use celery salt. Dijon mustard. Kraft Peppercorn Ranch. Seasoning Salt.

After several tries, I’ve dug through the recipes here and tried some of the ingredients. Some are almost the same as what I make.

Is there a secret ingredient that gives it flavour, preferably not a herb that I need to head out to the grocery store.

Does anyone have a copycat recipe for Costco Kirkland Potato Salad? I can’t define what the difference is with it.

Essentially I start with new potatoes, chopped onions, Hellmans, chopped hard-boiled eggs, S&P.

Sometimes I use hot potatoes, sometimes cold. No celery, though may use celery salt. Dijon mustard. Kraft Peppercorn Ranch. Seasoning Salt.
Have you tried adding bacon and/or a little horseradish?

I put in a tablespoon of sweet relish to our potato salad. Besides the mayo, I add

Woeber's Sandwich Pal Sweet and Spicy Mustard to give it the 'yellow' color. Hubby detests mayo. But, I trick him ... every time. lol :rolleyes::oops::censored: There are many variations on making potato salad. Look up a recipe. www.pinterest.com

I’ve done the horseradish and am thinking about adding some bacon. A couple of the guests will eat meat, they just prefer not to have it.

Do you start with hot or cold potatoes?

@PamfromTx I don’t think I can get to Texas by tomorrow to pick some up. Maybe I’ll have to go buy some grainy mustard, though Woebear’s sounds better.
That would work, the spicier the better. We order it from Amazon because our grocery store discontinued it. Can't find it anywhere, actually. I take a short cut in that I cube up the potatoes before boiling/cooking them. They cook a lot faster. I drain them really well and put them in a container/lid and stick in the freezer for 15 minutes. They come out really cold and easy to handle; they don't fall apart. Hubby doesn't care for the squishy potato salad. I tell ya.... one of these days ~ straight to the moon. Just kidding.

I rarely make or eat potato salad, when I did I used half light sour cream and about the same amount of Mayo , by using the addition of sour cream it gives the salad a creamier taste .

I used fresh chopped spring onions out of my garden which I added to the hot / cooked / drained potato’s ( I always diced potato prior to cooking )

I’ve done the horseradish and am thinking about adding some bacon. A couple of the guests will eat meat, they just prefer not to have it.

Do you start with hot or cold potatoes?
I put smoked bacon in jut about everything. As for potatoes, I can't see that hot or cold matters much.

Edit Note: Is it possible your taste buds are lying to you? What do others, who'll tell you like it is, say?

Edit Note: Is it possible your taste buds are lying to you? What do others, who'll tell you like it is, say?
My husband is always saying I’m being too fussy if I criticize my own cooking. This time he said it’s fine. Can you believe that honesty. WTH. 😂 😂

Tomorrow I’ll be trying a few of these suggestions bit by bit, except for that Texan mustard that even Jeff B can’t get into Canada.

Last edited:
My husband is always says I’m being too fussy if I criticize my own cooking. This time he said it’s fine. Can you believe that honesty. WTH. 😂 😂

Tomorrow I’ll be trying a few of these suggestions bit by bit, except for that Texan mustard that even Jeff B can’t get into Canada.
In 1905, Carl Woeber emigrated from Germany to Springfield, Ohio, and founded Woeber Mustard Company with only a handful of family mustard recipes, expertise in the art of mustard making, and the desire to succeed.

It did not originate in Texas @Jules

Funny how our tastes seem to change over the years ,my hubby has always liked horseradish
on his grilled lamb chops, I hated the smell of it .….now days I have it with lamb chops as well .
We buy a jar of HR that’s made in Australia none of this who knows where it’s made stuff for us
:sick:

When the jar is first opened one whiff of it clears your sinuses it’s so strong

Last edited:
Another vote for a little apple cider vinegar.

I was taught to cook the potatoes with the skin and peel/scrape the skins off while the potatoes are still too hot to handle. Toss the hot potato pieces in a little vinegar and salt before adding the other ingredients. A liberal amount of salt is important. Seasoning a hot dish that will be served cold can be a bit of a challenge.

I keep it pretty simple potatoes, vinegar, hard cooked eggs, celery, onion, mayonnaise, and S&P.

Back