My Real Estate Agent Stood Me Up.

Remy

I was supposed to look at a mobile in a park after work yesterday at 3:30pm. Rushed work all day hoping nothing would go wrong so I could leave on time and meet her. Waited 45 minutes, very hot. She never showed up. Someone else was looking at it.

Went to my apartment, took a shower, called her, she forgot and I went over AGAIN and looked at it.

She said something about calling me today but hasn't. It already has an offer and the seller will look at all offers. I can offer over asking. But at this point I don't know if I want to. It's newer, smaller, nice inside, with a larger wood deck (appears in good shape) but a large yard for a park and many plants I won't keep up with or water with the drought. More places burning, more people looking, prices going up.

I was supposed to look at a mobile in a park after work yesterday at 3:30pm. Rushed work all day hoping nothing would go wrong so I could leave on time and meet her. Waited 45 minutes, very hot. She never showed up. Someone else was looking at it.

Went to my apartment, took a shower, called her, she forgot and I went over AGAIN and looked at it.

She said something about calling me today but hasn't. It already has an offer and the seller will look at all offers. I can offer over asking. But at this point I don't know if I want to. It's newer, smaller, nice inside, with a larger wood deck (appears in good shape) but a large yard for a park and many plants I won't keep up with or water with the drought. More places burning, more people looking, prices going up.
Poor, Remy; I'm hoping things start going better for you; hugs.

Remy if that was me, I would take it as a sign the house isn't meant to be the one for me... I think you should do the same tbh...

called her, she forgot ...

She said something about calling me today but hasn't.
Have you considered getting a different agent? I've been watching YouTube's lately about selling/buying homes and they almost always emphasize reading the reviews of agents and sending a bunch of them a list of questions before choosing one.

The agent we used when we bought our current house was horrid, I don't know how we chose him. I plan to be a more careful customer next time.

Have you considered getting a different agent? I've been watching YouTube's lately about selling/buying homes and they almost always emphasize reading the reviews of agents and sending a bunch of them a list of questions before choosing one.

The agent we used when we bought our current house was horrid, I don't know how we chose him. I plan to be a more careful customer next time.
My luck isn't great, I swear. When I put my house on the market in a different town in this county, I had two come over and chose one. Mistake. She listed my house at 150 square feet and when I called her, she told me she "couldn't change it." I knew that was a lie. Even a co-worker called me about it and stated "she's trying to keep your listing hidden so she can be both the buyer and selling agent." Also she kept delaying the agent walk through. When the smaller local office she worked for suddenly closed, I was able to dumper her and left it off the market until after the holidays.

I then called the last agent who had come through on the walk through. I also swear a fake showing was set up by this former agent I had. I got upset and the new agent stated she would take my phone number off the listing information and any showings would have to go through her. Well the next showing through her was legit and they bought the place.

Am I considering a different agent? Maybe. I may just call the listing agent if I see one in the future. I don't know. There is one agent who lists a lot of mobiles and for reasons I don't want to really get into, I'd never go through him.

Remy if that was me, I would take it as a sign the house isn't meant to be the one for me... I think you should do the same tbh...
I wish I knew what was for me. I can't figure it out. Nothing good. I should have bought years ago, maybe a condo when things were cheaper. I didn't anticipate the fires, lower inventory though.

I know I still have residual trauma from that house. It was a horrible experience.

There are great agents out there. When I sold my Mom's house, I checked several realators to see what properties they had recently sold. I found one who had sold several homes near my Mom's, she was outstanding. She went above and beyond to be helpful and did a great job of marketing and selling the house.

I think having a good agent makes a big difference, sounds like you need to find a new one. Someone who wants your business.

Good luck!

I agree with everyone here. Maybe I would even go a step further and suggest that perhaps California is not for you. America is big. Lots of better options unless you have family there or a super good job you can't leave. I'm sorry you have gone through this.

You're not alone.

I sold my house last October...the agent was horrible, and the buyers were a nightmare. My off-market house I sold is worth a whole lot more now. I had checked out my agents website, houses he listed and sold, buyer's and sellers comments, etc Website was impressive. But he owned the business, had a drinking problem, was a playboy, only had a few young blond agents working for him. I didn't know that part till too late.

Times are so different now. Lots of younger incompetent workers.

But I've chosen to look forward and not back. It's just wasted energy to look back. One thing we all need to start doing is to check online reviews on people providing a service, online products for sale, etc. We need to do that first.

Is there any other place (other than California) in the country where you'd be happy?

Real estate agents are a dime a dozen. They are in a service business and if, for any reason, your agent fails to provide the service you expect.....dump him or her immediately. You owe a lousy agent no loyalty or consideration. I would never sign a representation agreement that gave an agent sole right to sell your property for any specific time.

Many agents will balk if you do that, but as I said, RE agents are indeed a dime a dozen.

Last edited:
HAve you thought about moving into a senior community? They tend to have much more of a sense of community. You would meet new people and make new fiends. You need to think about and consider your own needs.

You are never trapped, there are always options.

@Lara I can't move. I'm trapped here by my elderly stepfather. He's a burden to me and no real support. I have no one else. A long no contact brother and another brother who is abusive and very damaged do to our childhood.
Have you considered placing your stepfather in a care home? If he has no funds, he should be eligible for State of California assistance. That would give you more options and you could look at a wider range of living quarters.

Have you considered placing your stepfather in a care home? If he has no funds, he should be eligible for State of California assistance. That would give you more options and you could look at a wider range of living quarters.
It can be challenging to place someone in a care home if they don't want to go (and even if they do). Doctors have to be involved, along with tears, anger, and frustration; I've been through it several times with aged parents and it's complicated and a lot of the time a real battle. Plus, in this area anyway, care homes that take people who do qualify for Medi-Cal (the state's assistance program) usually have waiting lists; a co-worker had to take a leave of absence from her job to care for her mother since it was a 2-year wait to get her into the only home that would take Medi-Cal patients.

@Remy, are you afraid that these fires would reach this new home you’re looking at. If not and it looks like a good buy, I’d make an offer. It can’t hurt other than being time consuming. You’d have to go through this realtor but if you do make an offer, let her know you weren’t satisfied with her service and leave that agency. Also make it polite Goodbye and cc the head of her company. Even if you don’t make an offer, send a termination of her services. Failure to show up is inexcusable.

P.S. There’s no law that you have to plant a garden or flowers.

If appropriate, at least investigate into assisted living for your stepfather. There are a wide variety of levels of care options available from in house to assisted living at different tiers of service to nursing homes. I made arrangements for both my mother and father, and it worked out well in both cases. It was not particularly difficult or time consuming. Make some calls and find out what may or may not be available based on your stepfather's condition.

You owe it to yourself to find out what options are available. If there are waiting lists, at least get on the list. It sounds like arrangements are going to have to be made for your stepfather sooner or later, the sooner you start identifying your stepfather's options, the better it is for him and for you.

p.s. If your stepfather was ever in the service, there is help available for veterans above and beyond other governmental agencies.

Last edited:
Update. I actually spoke to said above agent this AM and was willing to make an offer 25 grand over asking. She spoke to the listing agent who is in her office so she can probably get a little more information. Apparently the seller hasn't signed but has already decided verbally what offer she will take. There were at least 3. The place was listed on Friday. Today is Monday. That was fast. When it closes, I'll be able to look it up on Zillow for the actual sold price.

You are always so kind. I can only think though, of all the places I looked at over the years, I ended up buying that house. Nasty neighbors and it was terrible. If I think of it this way, then I have to think that house was meant for me and sometimes I think it was.

This doesn't sound like a good transaction for you but it sounds like a great transaction for the realtor. She doesn't have YOUR best interest at heart...only HERS. Are you that desperate to pay that much over for a mobile???

We've had some bad dealings with realtors and learned some lessons along the way. Now, we're vetting realtors 2100 miles away because we're moving across the country in the Spring. Definitely take their reviews into consideration.

You may have already made a deal. I hope it wasn't a panic deal and that you're paying too much. The housing market will tank one of these days and people that are over-paying now will be stuck with places that aren't worth what they paid. This will be a repeat of 2008.

@Colleen I hope this doesn't sound snarky because I don't mean it that way, but yes I am that desperate. The inventory here is so low. Much because of the fires. I do think the prices are nuts. But the money isn't doing me much good in my account. I don't want to get into the wrong place. All I can do is keep looking

I did like this place. Smaller, newer 2 bedroom. Didn't like the larger yard for a park. It's gone "pending" on realtor dot com already.

@Jules Thank you for asking. I called my agent on Monday (the place was listed on Friday) and told my agent what I was willing to offer. She called me back to state the listing agent stated the seller had 3 offers already and had decided on one. So that was that. :(

Back