My recent hospital stay for diabetes

Yes, I have a meter. The doctor only wants me to check once a day, before breakfast. I give myself an insulin shot at that time also. I also checked with the Diabetes expert. My current diet is just fine....after I cut out all the sugar!
I don't get "Checking once day." That may be OK after you learn how different foods affect your blood sugar, but totally insufficient for a new diabetic. And one of the unpleasant surprises I had to learn was that foods that don't have added sugar & don't taste sweet need to be limited & require extra insulin because 100% of carbohydrates we eat are quickly converted to sugar because that is our main energy source.
That includes anything made from grains - flour like bread & pasta, as well as any processed food, like chips. Reading carbohydrate content on processed food labels is eye opening!
The FDA allows food companies to deceive consumers by allowing them to list the sugar & carbohydrate separately on the label. Many foods will advertise "Low Sugar" or "Zero Sugar" because they know it gets people to buy the product. The companies are hoping consumers don't understand that the sugar is included in the carbohydrate, so determining the sugar content is found in the carbohydrate info, not the sugar info. The label on bread can say "Only 2 gms sugar/slice," but they are referring to that granulated, white stuff we put in coffee or tea; not the actual sugar when we eat the product. if you check the carb content it will say "21 gms Carbohydrate per slice." That means each slice of bread has 21 gms sugar; not 2 gms. And who eats only one slice of bread? That means a sandwich will have 42 gms sugar from only the bread - before anything is put in the sandwich, and before drinking anything.
Another example - my favorite Subway Sandwich. A 12-inch sandwich has 80 gms sugar in just the bread - as much sugar as 2 cans of soda.

The required food label for a Subway Sandwich. (note the "Zero Sugar" on the label & the 80 gms Carbohydrate - the actual sugar)

subway 12" wheat bread​

serving
Nutrition Facts
For a Serving Size of 1 serving
Calories 410Calories from Fat 45 (11%)
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5g-
Sodium 0mg0%
Carbohydrates 80g-
Net carbs 80g-
Sugar 0g-
Fiber 0g0%
Protein 16g

You'll find such labels on all processed foods. When nutrition labels on processed foods became required, the FDA allowed such deception. And such deception is why obesity is such an epidemic.

I agree with win231, you doctor's directions are different than any I have heard before for a new diabetic.

I have been a type 2 diabetics for over 12 years. I am now 72 and have no health issue related to my diabetes. When I was first diagnosed, I had to test before each meal and then 2 hours after each meal. I kept notes on what drove up my blood sugar, so that I could avoid or limit those items in the future. In time I had a good idea and now only test once in the morning and once, two hours after dinner.

I also was told to stay away from most all fruit! As it is full of sugar. A few strawberries, blueberries and tomatoes are an exception for me, but most all other fruits are taboo for most diabetics.

Maybe you should consider getting a second opinion on your diabetes routine.... some nurses specialize in counseling and training diabetics, check your local hospital to see if they have one you could meet with. This usually is free to you and your insurance will cover any costs.

Della, thanks. I have a strong will. I had just ordered plenty of sugar-related goodies just before my hospitalization. I gave it all away to my neighbors. They loved me.

When I got out of the hospital, I saw my doctor, and then a Diabetes Educator. I am very confident in their recommendations.

Back