My Safety Deposit Box Fee Increased By More Than 50%

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
I was shocked when I got my bill from TD and saw it was nearly $75. Last year it was $48. I can't even access the box now without calling a special number since TD branches around here have not reopened yet. Luckily I don't need to just yet. I had my will revised a couple of months ago but due to CV-19, haven't been able to have it notarized yet. I'm glad I got more checks out when I did because I was down to the last two in the pack just before the bank closed.

Capital one charged us 150.00. We got a smaller box at another bank , one of the few that still have them and we pay 100 for the smallest size
I originally had a box at Chase and they kept going up. About three years ago when they got to the $90 range (which was allegedly a my discounted rate) I changed to TD. I had used that particular Chase branch because it was next to the building my cardiologist was in, the branch was usually not busy, we had a great relationship with one of the representatives and it is only about 8 minutes away by car.

I originally had a box at Chase and they kept going up. About three years ago when they got to the $90 range (which was allegedly a my discounted rate) I changed to TD. I had used that particular Chase branch because it was next to the building my cardiologist was in, the branch was usually not busy, we had a great relationship with one of the representatives and it is only about 8 minutes away by car.
Our chase does not have them , neither does Citibank

That's why I got a fire safe box

It's at my home
No monthly/yearly surprises
Handy
we learned a valuable lesson a few years ago ...our development consists of two 150 apartment buildings side by side .

the building next door had a five alarm roof fire .... the building next door was evacuated ... when they got back to their apartments days later many apartments had safes and valuables stolen ... whether by the fireman who were breaking in doors or theifs afterwards no one knows . but the point is keeping stuff at home , especially in an apartment in a building may offer no protection .

Why is the rate going so high OED?
I'll have to call Marci a special number and hope I can get someone. The branch was still closed when I went past almost two weeks ago.

That's why I got a fire safe box

It's at my home
No monthly/yearly surprises
Handy
I do have a fireproof box Gary, hidden in a very unlikely location. During Hurricane Sandy, I had to stay with my son and DIL for about three days and forgot to take it with me! I guess I just felt safer with a bank SD box, but the current situation is making me rethink that.

@mathjak107 Every chase I've dealt with had safe deposit boxes, even a small branch. I'm surprised to read that the ones by you don't. You brought up an excellent point to about the apartment house fires. There was a massive one here in Jersey where a fairly new complex just completely burned down. You may or may not be able to recover valuables (assuming they weren't already stolen) in a circumstance like that. You live in a large complex!

Last edited:
I'll have to call Marci a special number and hope I can get someone. The branch was still closed when I went past almost two weeks ago.

I do have a fireproof box Gary, hidden in a very unlikely location. During Hurricane Sandy, I had to stay with my son and DIL for about three days and forgot to take it with me! I guess I just felt safer with a bank SD box, but the current situation is making me rethink that.

@mathjak107 Every chase I've dealt with had safe deposit boxes, even a small branch. I'm surprised to read that the ones by you don't. You brought up an excellent point to about the apartment house fires. There was a massive one here in Jersey where a fairly new complex just completely burned down. You may or may not be able to recover valuables (assuming they weren't already stolen) in a circumstance like that. You live in a large complex!

when you can't actually embed the safe in concrete it can take little effort to remove something held by bolts just by chopping away the area holding it .

it seemed rather simple to do when they had the fire in the building next door .. to me it appeared to be fireman work who had the tools but you never know ..anyone could have gotten past the security guards when they do their walk around

Back