My Skin Cancer and possibly yours

Aneeda72

Just got the pamphlet from the MOHS surgeon and thought I’d share this information with our group about non-melanoma skin cancer; for anyone who is interested. It will be long, so if you are not interested, 😂, move on to another thread. I am paraphrasing from the pamphlet.

What is skin cancer?
Skin is made up of keratinocytes and skin replenishes itself by dividing in an organized manner. When it doesn’t it becomes skin cancer. There are three types of skin cancer. The most common is basil cell carcinoma. Basil cell carcinoma is a cancer of the keratinocytes. It is almost NEVER life threatening.

The second most common skin cancer is Squamous cell carcinoma. It is a cancer of the keratinocytes. It is generally not life threatening. But it left, it can spread and metastasis. 😱. Basal and squamous skin cancer do not turn into melanoma.

Melanoma is the killer. Melanoma is very aggressive and accounts for most skin cancer deaths. Melanoma is a cancer of the melanocytes, the pigment-producing cells of the skin. Aggressive skin cancer like melanoma and sometimes squamous spread to the lymph nodes and other organs.

My aunt was diagnosed with melanoma. My mother said she had two years left to live. I said she didn’t. Two months later she died. My daughter was looking at her husband back on day. She said some of his freckles looked, odd. She forced him to see the doctor.

Melanoma. 3/4 of the skin on his back had to be removed. He has to get a PET every six months. Melanoma is nothing to mess around with-if diagnosed early. If diagnosed late, well, don’t be diagnosed late.

See the skin doctor. Strip down to your birthday suit and let them check every inch of your birthday suit. My maiden Aunt was too embarrassed to go to the doctor as the mole was on her upper inside thigh. She didn’t want the doc seeing her privates. The mole got bigger. She finally went in. It was far to late.

She literally died of embarrassment.

She was in her forties. I remember her as a wonderful person although I saw her rarely. She was a school teacher. The youngest sibling of my mother. She stayed home and took care of her elderly mother and disabled brother, who was at Pearl Harbor. When they died, she thought would marry and adopt some children.

Continued below.

Last edited:
You go to your regular doctor. He notices skin cancer. Usually he “burns” it off with liquid nitrogen. Yes, it hurts. A scab will form and depending on how fast you heal, or how deep it was, or big the area was, or how much he sprayed, it can take a while. I have found it can take up to 2 weeks to heal. But I am diabetic and my skin heals a bit slow.

As it heals it itches, like any scab. You usually get skin cancer from sun exposure. I grew up in California -lots of sun. Lots of sun burn, but I get skin cancer on my face. Husband was in Vietnam. He gets skin cancer on his face and arms. His regular doctor burns the areas off with liquid nitrogen.

My husband’s skin cancer looks like brown spots. My husbands skin cancer is basal. He got a small little lump on his bottom eyelid. Then that lump looked like a small pimple. The lump started to grow like crazy, looked really gross, and I made him go see the skin doc.

It was squamous cell carcinoma. Took months to convince him to go. He was referred to a MOHS surgeon and had it removed. Then he saw a plastic surgeon to repair the eye lid so it would close right.

My SIL has red hair and lots of freckles. Apparently his skin cancer looked like his freckles, only oddly shaped. It took months for my daughter and myself to get him to go to the surgeon. He is fortunate he did not die.

My skin cancer is up next 😂😂

I was born with several large moles on my back. Every doc who saw them, didn't matter his specialty, would say I needed to keep an eye on them just in case. They run in a curved line from my shoulder to the opposite hip. They are freakishly large I guess.

I was born with several large moles on my back. Every doc who saw them, didn't matter his specialty, would say I needed to keep an eye on them just in case. They run in a curved line from my shoulder to the opposite hip. They are freakishly large I guess.
It’s the shape you have to worry about, if they change shape get right in to the doctor.

As I was saying skin cancer can look different. I had a red mark on the side of my face, bout a quarter inch, long and thin. Sprayed once. All gone. But I mostly have/had rough, pealing skin places, spots, with no discoloration-skin cancer.

These spots had to be sprayed, over a couple of years, a few times, and finally disappeared. They were above my eyebrows and one between my eye brows. Then I got a place on my forehead into my hair line that pealed and pealed and pealed, no matter how often I put lotion on it. Then I bought a better lotion, it still pealed. A bit bigger than a quarter. Skin cancer. He sprayed it a couple weeks ago.

When I fell a couple years ago, I ended up with two small purple spots under my eye. Skin cancer, he carefully sprayed them. They are still there but I guess now they are just discolored skin as he has not sprayed them since.

And a small rough spot on my cheek, which he’s sprayed twice, and which has rough skin. And this year it turned red. And I decided to go see him about it again. And then on my physical my doctor said, that’s cancer go see about it. Yup, already had the appointment set up. Apparently it you injury your skin in a fall or some other way, you can get cancer from the injury.

I go and see him. He uses this little round magnifying glass to look at the places on your skin.
He sprays that larger spot and a couple of smaller spots which he notices and I had not. I also have what my doctor says was a wart on the top of my head. He checks it, says it’s not a wart, and heavily sprays it. Then he looks at the place on my cheek. Cancer, not basal like the others.

He gives me some pain shots, takes a deep biopsy, and sends it off. The spot is long about 1/8 an inch, and very thin, and crusty, and a bit red. And it feels like he dug a hole to China. The biopsy comes back as squamous cell cancer. I am referred to the MOHS surgeon. In the meanwhile, I see my regular cancer doctor for my blood cancer and get good news cause I have gone in remission.

But I ask him about the skin cancer. He looks at it. Says the MOHS surgeon will probably take at least a silver dollar size piece of my cheek out. 😳😢😱. It’s the holiday so I have to wait. The surgery will be on the 14th, next week.

And I get a pamphlet in the mail with paperwork to fill out. Course I have misplaced the paperwork 🤦🏻‍♀️.

I've had a melanoma in situ on my back removed years ago with a Wide Local Excision (WLE). Melanoma in situ is stage 0 . Definitely the melanoma one wants if given the choice. Regular body scans and visits to the dermatologist is a must.

I also had a few Basal Cell Carcinomas (BCC). One on my nose near the eye removed with Mohs surgery. The BCC near the eye can do some damage if left untreated because it can invade the eye with sight loss possible.

I would let a dermatologist do all the freezing and or possible removal for biopsy instead of a GP. They are better qualified at identification and will remove and send it to the pathologist if uncertain. One doesn't want to freeze something that will grow back. I've had numerous spots froze and scrapped, they always give me and recommend applying Aquaphor gel to help in the healing process.

Here's a good forum with helpful people: https://forum.melanoma.org/forums/topic/new-patient-forum-for-the-mrf/

Best of luck with your surgery.

I've had a melanoma in situ on my back removed years ago with a Wide Local Excision (WLE). Melanoma in situ is stage 0 . Definitely the melanoma one wants if given the choice. Regular body scans and visits to the dermatologist is a must.

I also had a few Basal Cell Carcinomas (BCC). One on my nose near the eye removed with Mohs surgery. The BCC near the eye can do some damage if left untreated because it can invade the eye with sight loss possible.

I would let a dermatologist do all the freezing and or possible removal for biopsy instead of a GP. They are better qualified at identification and will remove and send it to the pathologist if uncertain. One doesn't want to freeze something that will grow back. I've had numerous spots froze and scrapped, they always give me and recommend applying Aquaphor gel to help in the healing process.

Here's a good forum with helpful people: https://forum.melanoma.org/forums/topic/new-patient-forum-for-the-mrf/

Best of luck with your surgery.
Thanks, I agree. A dermatologist is best. And yes, anything involving the eye has to go which is what I told my husband.

I had surgery on my eyelid back in 2013 for a squamous cell carcinoma. My doc said it should be quick and simple but I gave him permission to cut whatever he had to so that he got it all. I told him I’d rather be disfigured that have it spread.

Good thing I did because it was way more extensive than originally thought. He had to cut down my cheek and around the side of my eye. I lost my lower lid and could no longer wear contacts. But he got it all!!

I see my dermatologist yearly. Last time she froze three spots. “Just in case” spots is what she called them. I also had her freeze one skin tag that was at the neckline of many of my shirts and would get irritated from the rubbing.

Graphic pic below. Don’t look if you’re squeamish.

CC7C2FEB-99B0-40D3-ACF0-A1FD76E9E705.jpeg

Continuing with the pamphlet.

Skin cancers can be removed by freezing with liquid nitrogen, burning with electric current (do not try this at home 🙄), radiation therapy, topical chemotherapy, and surgical removal. The pamphlet says that MOHS surgery is best suited for removing more difficult skin cancers in critical areas such as the head-face, neck, hands, feet, and lower legs where complete removal and maximum preservation of healthy tissue is vital for both cosmetic and functional reconstruction.

MOHS surgery, named after Dr. Fred Mohs, has the highest cure rate. So here is how it is done.

The doc takes out a bowl-shaped rim of normal looking tissue around and underneath the identified skin cancer. The cancer is mapped, laid flat, and cut into thin sections. Those sections are stained, placed under a microscope where they are analyzed. While you wait in a chair in the surgery room, reading a book or eating a snack or having a drink or wishing you were dead. 😳.

I am getting heart palpitations just reading this pamphlet. I am going to need a pill to get through this-valium. Lots and lots of Valium.

If any cancer is discovered at the edges of the margins of the tissue, the location of the cancer is noted, and, yup, more tissue is removed. Rinse, repeat until all the cancer is removed. This can take up to 2 hours or more.

It says most cancers are cleared in one or two steps. But if a cancer has “roots”-oh good god “roots” 🤮. If it has roots more stages are necessary. A skin cancer can be much larger than if appears. And much deeper.

My doc will “greet” me. Identify the visible edges of the cancer, circle it with a marker, ask me to confirm the location, he will make a note of where the biopsy was performed, discuss the procedure, answer questions, photo the site, recline the chair, wash and inject with anesthesia until it is numb, give me medication reducing anxiety if I want it.

Oh, I want it. I want it now. Stella has to go outside. Continued later.

I had surgery on my eyelid back in 2013 for a squamous cell carcinoma. My doc said it should be quick and simple but I gave him permission to cut whatever he had to so that he got it all. I told him I’d rather be disfigured that have it spread.

Good thing I did because it was way more extensive than originally thought. He had to cut down my cheek and around the side of my eye. I lost my lower lid and could no longer wear contacts. But he got it all!!

I see my dermatologist yearly. Last time she froze three spots. “Just in case” spots is what she called them. I also had her freeze one skin tag that was at the neckline of many of my shirts and would get irritated from the rubbing.

Graphic pic below. Don’t look if you’re squeamish.

View attachment 202723
I am glad you posted this. It makes my point, see a skin doctor once a year. Skin cancer can spread. I am sure you know how fortunate you are to still have your vision. But it must have really hurt. Sorry you had to go through it.

Anyway, the MOHS surgeon repairs the wound. Usually, like the above picture Ronnie provided, it’s just stitched together from side to side. If necessary, the surgeon can removed skin from elsewhere, a skin graft, and sew it in place. But this usually only happens if you have surgery on the nose.

Old woman have extra skin on their faces, usually. It won’t be an issue.

If you have had a orthopedic prosthesis within two years, and I have, an antibiotic will be necessary. I have some left from my dental surgery so will take that, if I remember, and see if it can be used.

Reconstruction surgery or plastic surgery is usually only need for eyelids and noses. Eyelids to get them to close properly. Noses don’t have extra skin.

My biopsy showed cancer on the complete sample of skin. The doctor went quite deep and the cancer was all the way through and out to all the edges.

My biopsy showed cancer on the complete sample of skin. The doctor went quite deep and the cancer was all the way through and out to all the edges.
My surgeon explained that they as they excised the tumor they would test the margins as they went, to ensure that the margins were clear of cancerous skin cells before they closed the incision and brought me out of the anesthesia. Its how they ended up doing a much more extensive surgery than he anticipated.

I’m grateful he was diligent.

After numerous tries my husband finally took a picture of the side of my face with the cancer on it. (As in no, not that side, no not your finger, and finally, yes, that’s right. Really it’s not that hard. 🤦🏻‍♀️).

If you look at the tiny red mark, right across from the end of my nose, right above the fold of skin, that is squamous skin cell cancer; which can spread and kill you. It is just a slightly darker spot than my rosy cheek. 😊

If you felt it, the skin would be rough and dry as if you needed to just put lotion on it. Most people would not know that this is skin cancer. This is why YOU must see a skin doctor. Even a GP could miss this one. Or spray it, thinking it was basal and not squamous.

You can also see, due to my wrinkles, I’ve got skin to spare. 😂. And the two somewhat brown spots below my eye that were purple and are now brown after being sprayed. The scar from the fall is hidden now in the folds of my skin since I lost weight.
95AC70E8-DCBB-4551-A646-2B269B1FB686.jpeg

You go to your regular doctor. He notices skin cancer. Usually he “burns” it off with liquid nitrogen. Yes, it hurts. A scab will form and depending on how fast you heal, or how deep it was, or big the area was, or how much he sprayed, it can take a while. I have found it can take up to 2 weeks to heal. But I am diabetic and my skin heals a bit slow.

As it heals it itches, like any scab. You usually get skin cancer from sun exposure. I grew up in California -lots of sun. Lots of sun burn, but I get skin cancer on my face. Husband was in Vietnam. He gets skin cancer on his face and arms. His regular doctor burns the areas off with liquid nitrogen.

My husband’s skin cancer looks like brown spots. My husbands skin cancer is basal. He got a small little lump on his bottom eyelid. Then that lump looked like a small pimple. The lump started to grow like crazy, looked really gross, and I made him go see the skin doc.

It was squamous cell carcinoma. Took months to convince him to go. He was referred to a MOHS surgeon and had it removed. Then he saw a plastic surgeon to repair the eye lid so it would close right.

My SIL has red hair and lots of freckles. Apparently his skin cancer looked like his freckles, only oddly shaped. It took months for my daughter and myself to get him to go to the surgeon. He is fortunate he did not die.

My skin cancer is up next 😂😂
My BIL has skin cancer and gets it burned off pretty regularly. He used to farm and was in the sun all the time. He also is very blonde headed and fair skinned. Its a regular thing for him.

@Aneeda72
So far I have read the entire OP, and I will continue to read every post in this thread, little by little, in between doing other things.
Thank you very much for posting this thread, and for including specific details, any one of which, might alert and help to inform someone who reads it.

Thanks for the entire thread, @Aneeda72

Very informative, plus I notice that the 14th is sooner now, than it was, some days ago. :rolleyes::confused:
WIll be thinking of you, all this week.
I got the date mixed it. It’s actually the 12th, so tomorrow. I think I’ve had a senior moment week 😂

Back