My son Joey and his COVID-19 journey

Aneeda72

I decided to start this thread about my son and his journey with Covid. Mostly because, should he die, I want to remember every bit of his passing, every moment of what could be his last days; or hopefully of his survival of this terrible virus.

At my age, 75, memory fades, and the details of the deaths of my other three infant sons, decades ago, are lost in the among all the other memories of the past. I don’t want this to happen again. Also, since we can visit him in the hospital, on the Covid ward, I am able to keep a photo journey as well which I will start this afternoon.

The beginning of this thread will be repetitive in some respects as I recall yesterday, although yesterday seems a lifetime ago. I would ask members to not respond argumentatively and make this thread a debate about vaccination. But I know it is a hopeless request.

So many people have become so disrespectful, lately, on SF, in regards to issues of COVID-19. Still, my need to record every second of what happens, and have it available to me, over rides my caution. Plus, many of us have lost friends and family to this virus. Many of our members have survived the virus.

Joey has Downs Syndrome and has many of the issues associated with it. The children’s hospital we picked him up from predicated he would live about six weeks. The adoption agency told us every baby deserves a home, not a nursing home. I fed him, every hour, with a syringe as he had no “suck” ability. He slept in a basket between us on the bed. He weighted four pounds.

He had open heart surgery when he was 9 months old. His heart was more holes than heart. After the surgery, his lungs collapsed, his kidneys failed, and he reached up and pulled out all the wires in his chest. He was a challenge and a fighter.

He health was always iffy. He survived several pneumonias. He had a stroke at age five and had to relearn how to walk, etc. He had multiple ear surgeries and after one surgery he was released from the hospital, the nurse gave him a tablespoon of pain med instead of a teaspoon, and when we went to take him out of his car seat-he had stopped breathing. Thank God for paramedics!!!

As he got older, his health improved. When Covid hit, with his poor lungs, he was kept home for months. He thought he had been “bad” and was being punished. I don’t think he ever truly understood he was being kept safe. Eventually, the sheltered workplaces closed, his roommates stayed home as well, and his understanding grew.

Then the vaccine came. Everyone in the groups homes that were owned by his particular provider were vaccinated. A couple months later the sheltered workshop opened. Everyone returned to work. Things have been fine for months. He was scheduled to return to working at his job, at a restaurant, soon.

Yesterday, at 4:30 am, he woke because the power when out at his house. It had been storming. He had a severe stomach ache, difficulty breathing, coughing, a fever. In the afternoon, he was fine. I talk to him on the phone every day. Every day he has been fine.

Yesterday, he mentioned his friend, from sheltered work shop, had been home with COVID for a week. She also has Downs Syndrome. He also mentioned another friend, a male, had Covid.

Due to his on-going medical issues, the paramedics were called. The paramedics called me for permission to treat, I am his legal guardian. His heart rate was too fast, he was having trouble breathing, a fever of 103 was noted. He had severe stomach pain, chest pain, trouble breathing. I told the paramedics he has been exposed to Covid.

He was rushed to the ER.

The doctor had Joey call us to ask when we will be in today. I will see him between 12 and 1. I will ask about the monoclonal antibodies thanks @AnnieA. I have also made a really hard decision and wanted to make it early when I still have the ability to think. Just in case the worst happens.

I will sign the DNI paperwork.

🙏🙏 A Prayer for Joey and Aneeda

Heavenly Father, give Joey, Aneeda and family the hope and courage they need today and every day during this tough time. Comfort their pain, calm their fears, and surround them with Your peace. Walk closely beside Joey during his journey to healing and recovery and bless the doctors and nurses who are doing their best to bring him through this ordeal
. 🙏🙏

Last edited:
So he arrives at the ER, I already called my son, woke him up, and he meets his brother at the ER. He constantly sends me texts as to what test they are doing, what they are giving him, how he is feeling.

When the paramedics were on the phone to me, I I formed them of his exposure to Covid. As soon as he gets to the hospital a Covid test is done. It takes a few hours to get the results. They scan Joeys stomach and chest. Find the cyst. Get an ultrasound of his heart. Put in a IV, give him morphine for the severe stomach pain. Then the long wait for results.

My oldest son says Joey is being difficult. Yup. Joey is cognitively six years old. Most of us know how a six year old acts under these circumstances. The results start to come in, the cyst is worrisome. I get husband up and get to the hospital around quarter to 8.

Meanwhile, no one from the group home has shown up at the hospital. I am beyond 🤬. At six I start texting every phone number I have related to people who work at the group home. I find, on line, an email address for the director and send her an email. I text and call Joeys social worker-no one responds.

He needs the book. A book is kept with all his medical information in it and his insurance paperwork. Normally, a caretaker shows ups with the book, keeps track of everything done with Joey, and stays with him through the ER process and hospitalization. Four hours later no one responds, no one shows up. I can not tell you how angry I am.

I call adult protective supervision to file a complaint. The worker wants to file charges of abandonment and neglect against the supervisor and so do I. But the workers supervisor refuses. 🤬

My husband drops me at the hospital, goes to their office, and can reach no one. Then I get a call, from Joeys group home director, saying he slept in, he’s sorry, he will head over. Just get the book and get here and I don’t want to talk to you.

Just before my son leaves the doctor walks in, in full gear. 😳😮. We will be moving him to a Covid room. He has Covid, I ask. Yes, didn’t they tell you? Nope. Son leaves, calls work, and they decide he will work from home for 7 days before returning to the office. My son is fully vaccinated and has had Covid. It would be rare for him to get it, but why take a chance.

The group home worker shows up with the book, after four and a half hours. 🤬🤬🤬. If this had happened last week when we were in Texas with our sick daughter and our son was on vacation with his SO, Joey would have been alone for who knows how long. So very angry.

🙏🙏 A Prayer for Joey and Aneeda

Heavenly Father, give Joey, Aneeda and family the hope and courage they need today and every day during this tough time. Comfort their pain, calm their fears, and surround them with Your peace. Walk closely beside Joey during his journey to healing and recovery and bless the doctors and nurses who are doing their best to bring him through this ordeal
. 🙏🙏
Thank you @Shero

I leave. I can’t stay in the same room with the worker. It would not be pleasant. It takes hours to admit someone to the hospital. He waits with Joey, that’s his job. The Covid ward is full and Joey is placed on a different floor.

(I am glad. I am sure I do not want to go on a Covid ward. I do not want to see the really sick and dying. It is scare me. It would scare him. His room is a regular room. It’s a nice room. This hospital only has private rooms.)

I go home and finally people start to respond-too little too late. I am very angry. I talk to his social worker, tell her Joey was admitted with Covid, tell her no one came for 4 and half hours. Eventually I get an explanation, it’s crap, CRAP.

Supposedly, the group home manager was not trained properly and did not make the right phone calls. She will be trained today. Crap, crap, crap. The director calls, apologized, explained, blah, blah, blah, crap, crap, crap. I keep a hold of my temper. Except telling them I am so made.

She assures me that everyone involved on this shit show will be spoken to and retrain. 🤮🤮🤮.

It’s 10:00 pm when the phone rings. It’s Joey. Mom? Yup, hi Joey what’s up?

She wants to give me a shot in the stomach. I don’t want a shot in the stomach. My stomach hurts.

The nurse needs to give him a shot of a blood thinner in the stomach to prevent blood clots. (The phone is on speaker.). She tells him this, he refuses. He has the right of refusal, so she can not give him the shot. Thus the call to me.

He is a bit panicked-she said he has clots on his legs. He doesn’t want clots in his legs.

It’s 10:00 pm when the phone rings. It’s Joey. Mom? Yup, hi Joey what’s up?

She wants to give me a shot in the stomach. I don’t want a shot in the stomach. My stomach hurts.

The nurse needs to give him a shot of a blood thinner in the stomach to prevent blood clots. (The phone is on speaker.). She tells him this, he refuses. He has the right of refusal, so she can not give him the shot. Thus the call to me.

He is a bit panicked-she said he has clots on his legs. He doesn’t want clots in his legs.
As the phone is on speaker, is it possible for you to stay with him and chat while he has the shot?

🤦🏻‍♀️ The nurse has given more information than he can understand. I tell him to remember he’s a man now. I tell him he has to do what the nurses and doctors say, I tell him to close his eyes, and the nurse will give him the shot. I tell him a few times 😂.

He agrees. He closes his eyes, the nurse said it will only take a second, he gets the shot.

It hurts he says. The nurse says it stings, it will stop in a minute but for him it hurts. Good boy I say. Good job Mr. Man. It hurts he says. Do I have clots? Nope, no clots. You are fine. Bye mom, he says and hangs up.

😢. It hurts I think. It hurts so much that he is in the hospital with Covid. I never cry, never. My eyes fill with tears, water rolls down my face. It hurts so much.

Back