My veggie and flower garden will be free this year.

Ruth n Jersey

I always start my seeds indoors and sell the extras on The Market Place. I don't consider labor because I enjoy potting them up.
Even the Styrofoam cups have been reused.
I always manage to sell some but this year my sales paid for all my seeds.
I sell them less than half of what Home Depot charges and I think they are healthier plants and I don't have to go through the agony of throwing the extras over the fence.
A big problem for me because by the time planting season comes around I get very attached to them. all plants in window.JPG

Do you do anything special to get the stems firm? I've tried to grow tomato plants from seeds but they turn out weak and floppy.

@HoneyNut mine get long and gangly also. I put a small stake around them with a string for support. When its time to plant and I've hardened them off in the sun for a few hours each day on my porch I bury them really deep in the garden.
This gives them more area to form roots from the stem and they end up looking like a decent tomato plant.

@HoneyNut
You can also, carefully give them short exposures , to mild breezes and cold, in a sheltered spot, when small and before planting out, whenever it's possible. Such as openning the widow screen a bit, or setting in a box (with open top) outdoors for a short time,

Plus, as was mentioned above, many plants you can't,
but Tomato plants, it IS totally fine to bury the mainstem deeper, when you put them out in the garden.. They grow extra roots out the sides and do fine that way.

You need to know which plants that is fine to do (Cosmos flowers is another one that comes to mind)
because if you do it with the many other types of plant, their stems will just rot and the plant won't survive.

Last edited:

Back