My Youngest Brother Is In ICU

Pecos

My youngest brother (71) had a heart attack in the early morning hours of 29 August and managed to get emergency services to get him to a hospital fairly quickly. The doctors determined that he needed to have a stent put in and they scheduled him for this operation the next morning. I was able to talk to him right after they had done their initial prep work and he was coherent and in good spirits but was already under the influence of the drugs. The operation did not happen as he started having breathing problems and they decided to stabilize him before moving forward. He is still in ICU. We do not know if his situation is complicated by COVID.

I and my other brother (73) are very worried and good information seems to be very hard to get. My youngest brother is in Oregon and had to evacuate because of the fires. He was exposed to a lot of smoke.

I am on the East Coast and my middle brother is in Central Calif and can't do much either except play phone tag.

Fortunately, my youngest brothers step-son is staying on top of this to the best of his ability and is competent and trustworthy. He seems to be our best source of information at this point.

But I am very worried and the difficulty of getting current information in the "age of COVID" is frustrating.

Has anyone else had to deal with something like this lately?

My youngest brother (71) had a heart attack in the early morning hours of 29 August and managed to get emergency services to get him to a hospital fairly quickly. The doctors determined that he needed to have a stent put in and they scheduled him for this operation the next morning. I was able to talk to him right after they had done their initial prep work and he was coherent and in good spirits but was already under the influence of the drugs. The operation did not happen as he started having breathing problems and they decided to stabilize him before moving forward. He is still in ICU. We do not know if his situation is complicated by COVID.

I and my other brother (73) are very worried and good information seems to be very hard to get. My youngest brother is in Oregon and had to evacuate because of the fires. He was exposed to a lot of smoke.

I am on the East Coast and my middle brother is in Central Calif and can't do much either except play phone tag.

Fortunately, my youngest brothers step-son is staying on top of this to the best of his ability and is competent and trustworthy. He seems to be our best source of information at this point.

But I am very worried and the difficulty of getting current information in the "age of COVID" is frustrating.

My hopes & wishes for you & your brother too, Pecos.

It is entirely worrisome. I worked at a couple of hospitals as a ward clerk once upon a time and the practice was to not tell anyone anything. I can see why the Covid issue would be of concern. I think the best you can do right now is to meditate in whatever way works for you. It will help you gain and maintain some semblance of calm. The wait, not knowing what is coming next is the hardest part. My thoughts and those of my husband are with you.

@Pecos, We're ok here but my heart and thoughts go out to you for your brother! It must be terrible for you not knowing with any surety what's going on. Prayers have been offered for both your brother and for your peace of mind.
🙏

Pecos, that sure seems like a sad and frustrating and difficult situation. I am sorry for all of the added difficulties, due to it happening during this time of covid.

Counseling, Health, Wellness Services | Western Washington University

I'm so sorry to hear this Pecos. Not knowing what's going on is a nightmare I'm sure.

You said.."
"Fortunately, my youngest brothers step-son is staying on top of this to the best of his ability and is competent and trustworthy. He seems to be our best source of information at this point."

Would it be possible for that step son to set up a Zoom Conference for the family? That could be a source of comfort for all of you.

Getting information in healthcare is restricted because of HIPAA privacy laws. It is frustrating for loved ones in the best of times and any frustration is heightened these days due to Covid. I am so sorry to hear about your brother's health and also that his situation is complicated by his having had to evacuate before the heart attack. :( I'm glad he has a caring step-son. Praying for you and yours.

Immediate family should have access to pertinent information. If they don't, the law is wrong.
DONT GET ME STARTED!!!!!! its funny that theres a whole computer network of hospitals and insurance companys that can share your info..
Because you have to SIGN a HIPPA form BEFORE treatment.... But unless you give consent they cant tell your wife or kids.... BULLSHIT...

PECOS....
Take this info to heart my friend....
Placing STENTs today is about as routine as changing oil...
Being they "Scheduled" it for the following day makes me believe its not an acute blockage.

Back