Netflix shows worth watching

Netflix has a broad range of movies and series i enjoy. One of the things i've liked most about is it picking up series that Networks like NBC or Fox abandoned that were seriously in need of 'endings' because they had some mystery or big story arc that had engaged fans. (Manifest, Lucifer). Another thing i've enjoyed (we switched to streaming from Dish some 5-6 yrs ago) is that they carry series from other countries, as well as lots of stand up comedy including comedians from around the world. i find it interesting to watch those, they broaden my perspectives.

Most European 'thriller' (mystery, supernatural, sometimes crime dramas) are a good bit darker than American ones and it's interesting to get a break from the same old formulaic plots. Tho they may feel like that to the people in the country they come from. There's one Crime drama that takes place entirely in police stations most of it unfolding in the interrogation rooms and the room behind the 'mirror'. They have a UK, a Spain and can't recall but i think Germany?

One of the things i like about streaming TV (use a Roku box) is that we can watch shows on OUR schedule. With DD often having little time off (she's back to working 6 days a week currently) we can still watch shows we both like together--we make a day of it. The rest of the week i only have the TV on a few hours in the evening, catching up on News via YT, and then whatever i'm in the mood for---thought provoking, laugh producing, touching---i can find it on one of the streaming services we have.

Last edited:
Most European 'thriller' (mystery, supernatural, sometimes crime dramas) are a good bit darker than American ones and it's interesting to get a break from the same old formulaic plots. ching up on News via YT, and then whatever i'm in the mood for---thought provoking, laugh producing, touching---i can find it on one of the streaming services we have.
I watched a series called Dark, a year or so ago. Set in Germany, filmed in German with subtitles, a distinct departure from familiar formula plots.

YES! i watched that one too.
And there was one out of France, 'The Forest' i think (there were actually two from Europe with similar plot lines of small towns surrounded by forests and weird goings on, with the local police main characters.

A friend said I could use his password so I watched what another friend recommended "The Midnight Dinner". They started calling him to confirm they were logged on...so I quit doing it after I had watched all the episodes.

"Midnight Diner (深夜食堂, Shinya shokudō) is a Japanese anthology TV series directed by Joji Matsuoka, based on a manga with the same name by Yarō Abe. It focuses on a late-night diner called Meshiya in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo, its mysterious scarred chef known only as "Master", and the lives of his customers.

The show has been a success in Japan,[8][9] with five seasons produced in 2009, 2011, 2014, 2016, and 2019. To date, two theatrical feature films were produced by TBS and MBS: Midnight Diner (2014) and Midnight Diner 2 (2016). The fourth season (released as Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories) was produced in 2016 by Netflix Japan. Netflix Japan purchased streaming and production rights from the original Japanese producers to produce the fourth and the fifth series, which are shown on Netflix internationally. The ten episodes of the fourth series were streamed on October 21, 2016. The ten episodes of the fifth series were simultaneously streamed on October 31, 2019.

While the fourth and fifth seasons were released under the title Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories, Netflix began streaming the first three seasons separately under the original title "Midnight Diner" in June 2020.[10]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Diner_(Japanese_TV_series)

Midnight Mass is by far my favorite new show on Netflix this year. It is written and developed by the same person who did The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor and covers the same topics (dysfunctional family, addiction, mental illness, religion). There are not as many "fright scares" as in his previous two shows but it is just as creepy. If you are not into gothic horror shows that covers some rather heavy topics then I would not recommend it. However if if that does not bother you and you are looking to watch something spooky for Halloween week then I highly recommend it.

@hollydolly I enjoyed Squid Games too :) It is not for the faint of heart but it had me hooked after the first episode and it does deliver a rather strong message.

I have always been a fan of You. I'll admit that it is rather trashy but I had fun watching it. I just finished the third season and was disappointed. If you have watched the first two seasons and enjoyed them then I think you should watch the third season, just lower your expectations down some.

While Midnight Mass might be my favorite Netflix show of the year, I do believe that Maid is the best show of the year on Netflix. The acting is great as is the direction. The story did not capture me as much as Midnight Mass did but it was very well written and compelling. It is about a young woman who leaves her abusive husband, taking her two year old daughter with her and the struggles she goes through trying to establish a new life for her and her daughter. It can be very heartbreaking, especially watching the scenes where she has to deal with the legal red tape to keep her daughter and herself away from her abusive husband.

I would always give Horror films a miss, I cannot bear them.... but I'll have a look at the others you recommend Mark...thanks for that...(y)
One thing I really appreciated about Maids is the main character is not written as some "super hero". She makes some dumb decisions as most that age do but she learns from those decisions and moves forward .

What qualifies as 'Horror' to you? Supernatural or 'slasher/gore' fests? Or both?
well Supernatural definitely..anything that involves massacres of children..or any kind of abuse of children or animals .. I can't even stand Dracula , I'm not joking...

However, despite there being a lot of gore in Squid Game .. it didn't seem to be ''horrifying'' in the same way .. maybe because it was Korean, and it was dubbed , quite badly tbh ...although some of it made me 'gasp' in surprise.. much of it seemed comedic in it's way albeit that it was sending out a lesson... but also most impostant for me was there was no children or animals hurt

well Supernatural definitely..anything that involves massacres of children..or any kind of abuse of children or animals .. I can't even stand Dracula , I'm not joking...

However, despite there being a lot of gore in Squid Game .. it didn't seem to be ''horrifying'' in the same way .. maybe because it was Korean, and it was dubbed , quite badly tbh ...although some of it made me 'gasp' in surprise.. much of it seemed comedic in it's way albeit that it was sending out a lesson... but also most impostant for me was there was no children or animals hurt
Thanks for clarifying.

Me, i'm quite at home with supernatural, but then i have real life experience with it. So often movies/books just rehash same old popularized notions many of which are false. But some get it right. It was an adjustment for me watching my first Asian supernatural story because their 'ghosts' have different rules than western ones.

Like you i have difficulty with child or animal abuse even when it is just one off scene in a film or series. Can't tell you how many times watching something 'scary' and camera lingers on cat or dog and my daughter and i sit here---saying 'NO! No don't let the cat/dog get hurt.' Stopped watching 'Evil' on CBS, now Paramount+, because the female lead's children were being threatened tho i liked the rest of the show and some of the questions they were raising.

Midnight Mass is by far my favorite new show on Netflix this year. It is written and developed by the same person who did The Haunting of Hill House and The Haunting of Bly Manor and covers the same topics (dysfunctional family, addiction, mental illness, religion). There are not as many "fright scares" as in his previous two shows but it is just as creepy. If you are not into gothic horror shows that covers some rather heavy topics then I would not recommend it. However if if that does not bother you and you are looking to watch something spooky for Halloween week then I highly recommend it.

@hollydolly I enjoyed Squid Games too :) It is not for the faint of heart but it had me hooked after the first episode and it does deliver a rather strong message.

I have always been a fan of You. I'll admit that it is rather trashy but I had fun watching it. I just finished the third season and was disappointed. If you have watched the first two seasons and enjoyed them then I think you should watch the third season, just lower your expectations down some.

While Midnight Mass might be my favorite Netflix show of the year, I do believe that Maid is the best show of the year on Netflix. The acting is great as is the direction. The story did not capture me as much as Midnight Mass did but it was very well written and compelling. It is about a young woman who leaves her abusive husband, taking her two year old daughter with her and the struggles she goes through trying to establish a new life for her and her daughter. It can be very heartbreaking, especially watching the scenes where she has to deal with the legal red tape to keep her daughter and herself away from her abusive husband.
I'm going to give Midnight Mass a try this evening. Looks like it might be interesting. :)

I'm going to give Midnight Mass a try this evening. Looks like it might be interesting. :)
i started yesterday afternoon and got thru 4 episodes. Will probably watch remaining ones over next couple of days after chores are done. So far only one thing that did not surprise me in the slightest. To me the longer they can disguise a major thing, and/or keep me guessing about where they are going with it--the better told the story is. Something has to superb to keep me watching if i get it all figured out up in first 1/2 hour of movie or first episode of a series of such a show.

Back