New 2 You

Hello, my name is Frank. I live alone. No pets, but thinking of getting fish or a hamster or something. I have bugs. Isopods (roly-polies), maybe 40 or 50, I'm nor sure, but they're not very playful and not as interesting as I thought they'd be. Can't remember why I thought that, but anyway, they live in a plastic container with a blue lid that's currently sitting on a chest of drawers in my kitchen. They like to eat fish food. That's why I was thinking I might get some fish. Two birds, one stone kind of a deal.

Anyway, hello. My name is Frank.
Welcome Frank, where I'm from they call they sow bugs.

Welcome Frank, where I'm from they call they sow bugs.
Both are isopods but, although similar in appearance, pill bugs (armadillidium sp.) can roll up into a ball while sow bugs (oniscus sp.) cannot.

(I'm betting a lot of folks are just thrilled to learn that! :ROFLMAO:)

Hi, Frank. Wanted to say Welcome.

So, those bugs are some sort of miniature armadillo. That's interesting. :sneaky:

They are actually crustaceans, but yeah, their bodies are multi-segmented armor that look like an armadillo, and some of them are named after the armadillo. Others are called Dairy Cow, White Dwarf, Rubber Ducky, a whole slew of other names and new ones all the time because people cross-breed them for certain characteristics, like color and activity. Mine are not very active. Well, not as far as I can see. They procreate a lot, so they're plenty active with each other all right. Locally, they're called roly-polies, because, like an armadillo, they curl into a ball when threatened, or sleeping, or full. Most the time they're rolled in a ball. I made the roly-poly house for my foster kid but he lives with his mom now so I should put them back where I got them but I'm not ready yet.

@Murrmurr
Thanks for adding to your topic, here. I truly find it interesting. Insects are fascinating creatures.

I enjoyed reading your additional posts, today, and the response to my comparison with armadillo's. I remember the name "roly-poly" ....

Most people I have met , were not as fascinated by them, as myself. :ROFLMAO:

@Murrmurr
Thanks for adding to your topic, here. I truly find it interesting. Insects are fascinating creatures.

I enjoyed reading your post, today, and the response to my comparison with armadillo's. I remember the name "roly-poly" ....

Most people I have met , were not as fascinated by them, as myself. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I wouldn't really call them fascinating to *watch*, not these ones, anyway, but bugs in general are very interesting. I guess the fascinating part is that they seem to have life all figured out and a lot of them don't even have (what we think of as) a brain. I figured out a long time ago that bugs don't look the same to, say, a bird as they do to us, and science is catching up with me on that. What looks like a solid black beetle to us probably has a bright color spot somewhere that a bird's eye can see. I also suspected a lot of them use chemicals to leave color trails or waft scents to find each other, and to be found by predators. And some do, of course.

Back