New Member Interested in Understanding the Needs of Seniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glei

Hello all,

My name is Glei and I feel very happy to join the group. My goal is to understand better the real needs of the seniors and try work to improve some things.

One of the things that makes me curious is the fact that I don't see very often seniors exercising at gyms. I know that some places like YMCA and Silver Sneakers offers some classes focusing seniors, but I am not sure that the service is satisfactory, if there is any certification for trainers to work with seniors and if there is a specific game plan focusing seniors with Alzheimer and Parkinson.

Please help me with some feedback.
Thanks!

l3xXcvP.gif

Welcome---------I think the reason you don't see many of us in gyms working out is because many of us (like me) have access and use the facilities available where we are living. swimming pools, fitness centers, tennis, pickle ball etc.

And like many younger folks some of us just like to exercise at our own pace. I certainly can't compete in a workout class with thirty year olds, but a seniors class probably wouldn't be enough of a challenge...walking on my own I can do five or six miles on a good day.

Why do you want to know? Are you a senior yourself, or a personal trainer, or a student doing research like others who have joined this board in hopes of using us as primary sources for their research?

Maybe we should incorporate this board and start charging for all this help with research! :D

Thank you for the welcomes and replies! ;)

Lon,

I understood. Your environment is convenient for you and provides you all resources you need to keep active.

Cheers :D

Furevereverywhere,

Thats what I thought …. there aren`t classes for seniors. I have found a few places online that provide, but I am not sure if they are good enough. Wow… you are an athlete ! many people at gym don't have this endurance.

Cheers ;)

Guitarist,

I am not a senior yet, but my parents are, and only now I am being more sensible to this senior issues. My intent with the questions it was to do a little research, not primary though, I will try to keep listening more and more people.

Thank you for the welcomes and replies! ;)

Lon,

I understood. Your environment is convenient for you and provides you all resources you need to keep active.

Furevereverywhere,

Thats what I thought …. there aren`t classes for seniors. I have found a few places online that provide, but I am not sure if they are good enough. Wow… you are an athlete ! many people at gym don't have this endurance.

Cheers ;)

Guitarist,

I am not a senior yet, but my parents are, and only now I am being more sensible to this senior issues. My intent with the questions it was to do a little research, not primary though, I will try to keep listening more and more people.

Some places do have classes for seniors. I am thinking of Silver Sneakers for one. Many senior communities have their own programs for residents, with instructors who come to the place to hold classes. I have known at least one aerobics instructor who was learning how to work with seniors to do Silver Sneakers.

As for Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, I would imagine classes for those groups would have to be led by someone specifically qualified to work with people who have those conditions, for liability issues, etc.

I exercise at home. I walk 20 minutes each day and do 20 minutes of yoga exercises. I have no need to go to a gym. Home is much more peaceful. Who wants to go anywhere?

Guitarist,

Thanks for the free tips for my research :D

Phoenix,

Thats really nice ! You are self-motivated. Walking with yoga exercises is a great combination for the body and distress the mind too.

Guitarist,

Thanks for the free tips for my research :D

Phoenix,

Thats really nice ! You are self-motivated. Walking with yoga exercises is a great combination for the body and distress the mind too.

I do yoga to a Rodney Yee CD. I do it so I won't have to take all the drugs that most people have to take when we get to be this age. Obesity and lack of exercise contribute to all kinds of health problems, and the drugs we take for them cause even more. So I do what I can to stave it off.

Hi Glei, We are not yet retired but are planning on a big move from the Southeast to the Northeast, when we do. One of the things we are excited about, in our new city, is a place called the United Medical Gym. It used to be a "Medically Oriented Gym (MOG) but has spun off and is hoping to create its own franchise. ( If you look up MOG, you will find they are across the US.) They are similar to physical therapy but do not require a Dr's referral, however a lot of local Drs send their patients there. They cater to Parkinsons, movement disorder patients and cardiac rehab patients but ANYone can join. The classes are inexpensive and the staff highly trained. I would much rather go there than someplace like Gold's Gym or the 24Hr Workout with all the young folks running in and out. We are also looking for a neighborhood with sidewalks or trails so we can walk.

Phoenix,

Well done ! It is always better to prevent than remediate.

Myquest55,

It seems to be a good place to exercise, but my curiosity is that the Southeast is so famous for being a retirement place - correct me if i am wrong - I have lived in Florida and I have seen many facility exclusive for seniors.

Glei - It is cheaper to live and warmer. Most people seem to love the heat but here in SE Tennessee the heat and humidity are killing us. Neither one of us can take it - it is like winter in reverse. We stay in the A/C all summer, so we are headed north! There are several other couples working our their careers here and waiting to go back north as well. Not everyone embraces the heat. PLUS, we are not fans of the southern lifestyle, we are just northern Yankees that don't seem to fit in. :)

Someone else mentioned community Senior's Centres .. ours offers classes focusing on classes specialized for Parkinson's and Alzheimer's patients, so it's worth looking into in your community.

I am in Toronto, by the way.

Klove11256,

Haha… thats funny!

Knighttofalbion,

Thank you!

Pinky,

Sounds like a good place. I am looking for places to provide health and gathering of seniors…

Myquest55

Thanks for the explanation. I hope you guys have a great life in the North.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back