New Scam

Don M.

SF VIP
Earlier today, our phone rang showing a number from Miami, FL. Instead of just ignoring it, I answered. It was a recording asking for donations to help those who are victims of this recent building collapse, and "press 1 to speak to an operator". Feeling a bit bored, due to it continuing to rain this morning, I pressed 1. In a few seconds a person with a heavy "India" accent answered, and began to launch his spiel. When he paused, I asked him if he ever thought about seeking an honest job, hung up the phone and added that number to my call blocker.

I'm sure there will be more scammers using this building collapse as an excuse to fleece people out of money...so, be aware.

I also got a suspected scam call this week. I didn't answer it. I checked the number online and they were reported as scammers out of India and there was a warning to beware of what they are doing there trying to swindle money out of people by all kinds of threats.

They did leave a voice mail message, but I did not listen. Just deleted the whole thing.

Same here. If it really is important, they can leave a voice message. If it still isn't important, I block the number.

For certain. Once it's determined its an active number, it's sold and resold, only to be sold again. Spam calls and junk mail - ugh!

Earlier today, our phone rang showing a number from Miami, FL. Instead of just ignoring it, I answered. It was a recording asking for donations to help those who are victims of this recent building collapse, and "press 1 to speak to an operator". Feeling a bit bored, due to it continuing to rain this morning, I pressed 1. In a few seconds a person with a heavy "India" accent answered, and began to launch his spiel. When he paused, I asked him if he ever thought about seeking an honest job, hung up the phone and added that number to my call blocker.

I'm sure there will be more scammers using this building collapse as an excuse to fleece people out of money...so, be aware.
I'm surprised you didn't donate.

One of the recent calls was from Italy. Since I don’t speak the language, I’d didn’t answer.

It’s very common for scammers to use a recent tragedy to solicit funds by phones or even fund raisers.

I got that one also, fmdog. It's one of the most "popular" scams going around. You should feel honored.

Maybe one answer would be: "Thank you for informing me! Will I have time to serve them some doughnuts and coffee before they take me away?"

Yeah, I get the calls saying that my car's warrantee is going to expire soon, (I drive a 2009 Hyundai ), and they just happened to have an extended warrantee plan. And yeah, that building collapse fits into a scammer plot, well. I figured I wanted to bug them as much as they bug me. So when it is a person, and not a recording, I say : " I am so glad you called. Have you ever hear of the ACLU. They do great work in protecting our rights. But that costs money, can we count on you for support?" That's when you hear 'click'. It may not be much, but I did get to bug them.

I'm pretty sure these scam calls are coming from some other country. Otherwise, this constant annoyance of people with this nonsense would have long ago been put to an end. I'm sure they must be in violation of some law or other regulating telephone communications.

They only scam because it is profitable. One sister in law, about 15 years ago, got an online message from a stranger that she responded to, and over the course of a couple of years, sent this person over $250,000 because they were in love. She was in her mid 70s at the time. Lost her house and a paid for condo. Sent so many wires to various overseas addresses that even the local walmart would not do any more wires, and the SIL tried to con friends in doing it for her.

Ain't love grand?

I get those

Kinda fun

My newest vehicle is my '99 Wrangler
Yeah, last time I got one of those calls, I asked him which of the 6 vehicles of mine was he referring too. Silence, so I carried it a bit further when I said well, just give me the VIN number and I'll see which one it is. Click hummmm. :ROFLMAO:

I get calls about nonexistent car warranties, student loans, accounts in collection, mystery nephews in foreign jails, and so forth. I don't answer unfamiliar numbers and delete the messages, but don't bother blocking their numbers because they're nearly always spoofed.

Obviously they catch enough fish in these nets to make it worth their while. Case in point:

About five years ago a Jamaican ring started fleecing my widowed father-in-law with a "you've won millions, but it's going to cost a bit to get the money released" story. They got at least $10,000 in cash from him before a daytime caregiver became suspicious of the increasing number of incoming phone calls. He listened in on an extension, realized what was happening, told my FIL to hang up NOW, then called my husband. Between the three of us, my FIL, the bank and the police, we patched together what was happening.

We immediately forwarded my FIL's phone calls so they would only ring on my number because these creeps called relentlessly - all hours of the day and night. They were threatening, frustrated that I wouldn't let them talk to my FIL and furious with me. Their clumsy tactics and lace of sophistication would have been laughable if it weren't apparent that they were more sophisticated than my dear, sweet FIL.

Clearly their prey were the trusting, confused, and folks with diminished cognitive capacity. Truly slimy.

Desperate to keep the money flowing, a couple of their operatives brazenly showed up at my FIL's house with the story that they were delivering (an unordered) pizza and needed to take my FIL to the bank. My FIL's caregiver - a quite large man - wouldn't let them in or my FIL to the door, and threatened to call 911 if they didn't leave immediately. At that point we knew my FIL could no longer live alone or remain in that house. He was terrified by the incident and agreed. He chose a beautiful nearby assisted living facility where he thrived, found a girlfriend ;) and was never again bothered by those creeps.

On an aside: A bit into this, a NY postal inspector investigating this fraud ring caught an envelope my FIL had sent to a known scammer address. My FIL's phone number was publicly listed so he called and left a message, which went to my phone. Of course I checked this guy out ten ways from Sunday before talking to him.

He was very illuminating, explaining the nature of the scams, how they first hook people in, slowly suck them dry, then get these now-desperate folks to do some of the ring's monetary collecting and forwarding work for them. Among the victims he'd talked to were doctors, lawyers and psychiatrists.

The unopened envelope containing several hundred dollars in cash was returned to us and required picture ID to get it released.

A couple of years later an unordered pizza came to our house in my FIL's name. The Domino's delivery guy - obviously not part of the scheme - said the order had been called in but no payment made (so no CC info to track). We gave him a tip (this wasn't his fault), briefly explained the situation and declined the pizza. When we called the police the officer said the Jamaicans probably had someone parked nearby, watching to see if we'd accept the pizza or if my FIL appeared.

We were incredibly fortunate. As @Buckeye attested, many are scammed out of everything they have.

p.s. LAPD's classification for this kind of crime is "defrauded by trickery."

This morning I received a text that I assume is a scam of some sort.

The message had a Texas telephone number and a message saying that the most recent AT&T bill has been paid. Here is a little gift for you.

Has anyone else received a similar text?
I did and also that I have a 900.00 credit for another account. I just need to type in a link. Deleted!!

Back