New Writing Activity Proposed: Enhance this Statement

Em in Ohio

The original poster writes a simple sentence in a new thread.
Responders rephrase and elaborate on that sentence to express the same concept.
They all mean the same thing, but say it in different ways.

Example - OP starts thread: "Enhance This: It may rain a lot."

Respondents posts might be:

There may be rain aplenty.

We have the expectation of prolonged rain in the forecast.

Precipitation is expected for the rest of the day.

We can anticipate long periods of precipitation throughout the day.

There will be extensive precipitation for the next 24 hours.

We have the possibility for continuous liquid precipitation through tomorrow.

On Tuesday, precipitation in the form of rain may be constant.

Meteorologically speaking, the weather is wet!

Rain may be non-stop for a prolonged period today.

@Pepper @Judycat : This was just a test!

Haha - I just realized my mistake in trying to describe this new idea... You both captured the concept perfectly, but I was trying to prompt use of a thesaurus - having folks use synonyms and different sentence structures to convey the same message, not sayings that express the same concept.

'My bad' in not being clear! On the other hand, these sayings need a place to call home! Would folks outside the USA know what they mean? Do they have equivalent expressions?

So, I'm torn. Perhaps they need separate threads labeled "Explain this Expression."

Or, they stay here and get labeled something like "Common Sayings."

I'm talking to myself, haha! Okay, I think that they stay here but get labeled as "Common Saying." My rationale is that, as separate threads, there would likely only be one response explaining what the expression means. So, I will add to the instructions to ask folks to label such posts as "Common Saying." (At least until I find a flaw in that idea as well!)

The original poster writes a simple sentence in a new thread entitled "Enhance this Sentence: (Your sentence goes here)"
Responders paraphrase and elaborate on that sentence using different sentence structures to express the same concept.
Responders might also post a common saying that means the same thing. (These should be labeled "idiom.")
They all mean the same thing, but say it in different ways.

Last edited:
Sounds like this should be in the games section....for those who are "game".:unsure:
It was just a test to gauge interest; Word of the Day is a sub-forum under Games, as it isn't very challenging. This one requires more effort and was aimed at improving language skills for everyone, including those for whom English is a second language. Neither has drawn as much attention as Matrix hoped.

Anyone could have posted a new thread with the new format - just the simple starting sentence would be all that was required. It is hard to guess people's comfort levels or desire for academic challenges. We are a mixed batch!

It was just a test to gauge interest; Word of the Day is a sub-forum under Games, as it isn't very challenging. This one requires more effort and was aimed at improving language skills for everyone, including those for whom English is a second language. Neither has drawn as much attention as Matrix hoped.

Anyone could have posted a new thread with the new format - just the simple starting sentence would be all that was required. It is hard to guess people's comfort levels or desire for academic challenges. We are a mixed batch!
Their are reasons some members flock to games and others avoid games. You can't force people to participate. To imply that non-gamers do not desire academic challenges, is insulting. Be content to keep games in the games section.:)

@Em in Ohio
Correct me if I am wrong, but this thread was directed at “non-gamers” in a recruiting effort to have more of us join in the games. It is also a test to gauge our interest. So when a member posts a differing opinion about games, why are we told “Then why not quietly pass the topic by? Why drop-in with intent to sully someone else's started topic that has meaning to them”? We did not “drop by”, we were invited…attracted, really by the “language exercise” hook. Aren't all replies a part of the "test"?

@Aunt Marg said:

“Precipitation will fall on the hard terrain in a way that resembles bovine urination”.

“Cloudburst will saturate the hardscape similarly to that of micturate erupting on a plumb boulder with a homoloidal plane”.

I loved your two examples of “English on steroids”, that you came up with!😍 Perhaps that would make a good title for the thread, in the Games Section.:unsure:

Their are reasons some members flock to games and others avoid games. You can't force people to participate. To imply that non-gamers do not desire academic challenges, is insulting. Be content to keep games in the games section.:)
No insult was intended. This proposed activity wasn't listed in games for a reason. It was listed under English language. It is a mental challenge, which some folks do find to be fun. The goal is educational - to promote language development and creative writing.

Back