Newark, New Jersey 1940s in color shots from a train, with sound

I never spent any time in Newark. I just took a bus into Penn Station, and hopped the Congressional Express train to Philadelphia when I was a kid. I'd spend the weekend at my cousin's house, and we'd go to Shibe Park to watch the Phillies and the Dodgers play.

One time, I got on that train when I was about 10. It was full of military, as this was during WWII. I sat down alongside a Navy Officer and there were 2 marines asleep across from us. He kept eying me and my little overnight bag. Finally, he leaned down and asked, "are you running away from home?" I told him that I wasn't, and that my uncle was picking me up in Philly. He smiled and told me that he had a little girl, and he hoped that I wasn't running away. He did watch me leave that train and saw my Uncle Bob calling to me.

I never spent any time in Newark. I just took a bus into Penn Station, and hopped the Congressional Express train to Philadelphia when I was a kid. I'd spend the weekend at my cousin's house, and we'd go to Shibe Park to watch the Phillies and the Dodgers play.

One time, I got on that train when I was about 10. It was full of military, as this was during WWII. I sat down alongside a Navy Officer and there were 2 marines asleep across from us. He kept eying me and my little overnight bag. Finally, he leaned down and asked, "are you running away from home?" I told him that I wasn't, and that my uncle was picking me up in Philly. He smiled and told me that he had a little girl, and he hoped that I wasn't running away. He did watch me leave that train and saw my Uncle Bob calling to me.
Fabulous. A real story from the area from back in the day.. thanks Lois... loved that !(y)

Wow that was so eerie, none of the cars were moving and there were no people, it was like the world had stopped, until the very end.

Back