News on Shingles Vaccine from Medicare

Owlivia

Just got an email from Medicare, and of note is this,

" Also, starting in 2023, people with Medicare Part D drug coverage will pay nothing out-of-pocket for even more vaccines, including the shingles vaccine, that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)."

Will have to see what the specifics are on the "recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)."

Anyone else received this bit of news from Medicare?

I also noticed they didn't mention how people with Advantage plans would be covered or not on this. I currently have Part D, husband has Advantage and had Shingles once already.

I had the old shingles shot, too, but just started part one of the new better one last month. I'll get part two of it next week.

Be sure and get these shots, they hurt a little bit, but my brother just finished a two month stint of actual shingles and it was horrifically painful.

I had both Shingles shots (the two parted) beginning of this year. Out of all or any
vaccines I have had and including covid jabs, the Shingles was hardest for me with
side effects. Very glad I had them though because having Shingles is so painful,
I know quite a few in my life over the years who suffered with it.

Just got an email from Medicare, and of note is this,

" Also, starting in 2023, people with Medicare Part D drug coverage will pay nothing out-of-pocket for even more vaccines, including the shingles vaccine, that are recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)."

Will have to see what the specifics are on the "recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)."

Anyone else received this bit of news from Medicare?
This is the first I've heard about this......good to hear.

I hope it will be the case, because it's one of the more expensive ones, that plenty of people cannot get, due to the price.

Please get the shots. Unless you've experienced it first hand you have no idea what you are dealing with. IF then you get a rash/outbreak, drop everything and immediately go to an urgent care clinic and get on antivirals faster than the speed of light. You can thank me later...OR procrastinate, wait 2 or 3 days after it first appears, rub calamine lotion on it, and experience pure Hell for the next 3 weeks. Your choice.

I didn't get that notification either. I remember when the shingles vaccine which was being touted was covered by my insurance (Aetna), then it wasn't anymore. I'll wait and see what my Aetna member's handbook says. Still not sure I want to get that vaccine.

@OneEyedDiva
I don't know if it's a factor in your coverage or your decision,
but it is the newer version, that has been out for a while now,

that is not a live vaccine, (as the previous one was live)
so this one (Shingrix) is safer,
and in addition, more effective,
that will be covered by more programs, starting in January.

I did not receive any notice, but have seen news reports regarding the change.

@OneEyedDiva
I don't know if it's a factor in your coverage or your decision,
but it is the newer version, that has been out for a while now,

that is not a live vaccine, (as the previous one was live)
so this one (Shingrix) is safer,
and in addition, more effective,
that will be covered by more programs, starting in January.

I did not receive any notice, but have seen news reports regarding the change.
Thank you Kaila. From what I've heard from people who have had shingles, I know it's no joke! My niece got it when she was probably in her late 40's early 50's and she couldn't work for months. A couple of online friends had it and talked about how painful it is. Despite that, I believe I decided not to get it when it was covered because I wasn't impressed with the efficacy and decided that ramping up my immune system might work just as well. Also I didn't know if any pork byproducts were in it and at the time, no one seemed to know the answer. I had seen something about Shingrix before and I just might reconsider getting the shingles vaccine.

Thank you Kaila. From what I've heard from people who have had shingles, I know it's no joke! My niece got it when she was probably in her late 40's early 50's and she couldn't work for months. A couple of online friends had it and talked about how painful it is. Despite that, I believe I decided not to get it when it was covered because I wasn't impressed with the efficacy and decided that ramping up my immune system might work just as well. Also I didn't know if any pork byproducts were in it and at the time, no one seemed to know the answer. I had seen something about Shingrix before and I just might reconsider getting the shingles vaccine.
No, it isn't funny. I had a mild case a few years ago, and it was awful. I couldn't get the injection before as it was live vaccine, but now I am able to have it.

Back