NHRA Drag Racing

i'm a lover of quarter mile drags in hotrods. 😁

oh & monster trucks.

Caught the bug when I saw Don Prudhomme and Tom McEwen race. The Mongoose beat the Snake 3 times in their very first competition. Eventually Don would become the greatest of the greats. In New York I used to hang out at Englishtown now it's Gainesville. I went to Atlanta for the Monster Truck Jam but that city is way too hard core.

tom-mcewen-drag-racer-81ac9d87-ac58-4d5a-a1b9-ef312f0e226-resize-750.jpeg

Bad to the bone.

Yup, I've been a fan of drag racing since before I even got a drivers license. I hopped up my first car, a 1956 Ford Fairlane, and ran it many times at the local drag strip south of Denver. I never won, but I did "place" a few times. I had dreams of being in auto sports at that time, but getting married and having children moved my priorities. I still like to watch the runs on TV, and every couple of years we go to a race. These modern Funny cars and dragsters would scare the H@#$ out of me if I hopped into one today.

Yup, I've been a fan of drag racing since before I even got a drivers license. I hopped up my first car, a 1956 Ford Fairlane, and ran it many times at the local drag strip south of Denver. I never won, but I did "place" a few times. I had dreams of being in auto sports at that time, but getting married and having children moved my priorities. I still like to watch the runs on TV, and every couple of years we go to a race. These modern Funny cars and dragsters would scare the H@#$ out of me if I hopped into one today.

The're unbelievably fast nowadays. I've seen some videos of the most disturbing crashes but like boxing it's totally mano a mano. No team mates, just you and him. My first car was a Duster 340, the second was a Roadrunner 383, the third was a Barracuda 383 and the last and best was a Chevelle Supersport 454. After that I got married and got a Dodge Dart.

i think it would be a blast to have a hot rod & drag race.

In between my first and second marriage and an ensuing midlife crises I thought that would be a good idea too so I bought a Mustang GT then if that wasn't enough I had a blower and NOS installed until my second wife vigorously convinced me to sell that and get an Isuzu Ascender SUV. Can you believe that? You women, I mean seriously.

Am I seeing things or did you just change your avatar?

In between my first and second marriage and an ensuing midlife crises I thought that would be a good idea too so I bought a Mustang GT then if that wasn't enough I had a blower and NOS installed until my second wife vigorously convinced me to sell that and get an Isuzu Ascender SUV. Can you believe that? You women, I mean seriously.

Am I seeing things or did you just change your avatar?
lol!! i change my avatar more than folks change their underwear. you'll get used to it.
us damn women. lmao!

Believe it or not in Chicago around 1963 they held indoor drags. Me and a friend went to a couple of the events. I think it was 1/16 of a mile. I think it lasted only for two years. It was at the Amphitheater. One car stands out in my memory was a 62 Pontiac named "Alcoa Presents". It was sponsored by the Alcoa Aluminum Company. What a beauty it was. Lots of Mopar Ramchargers as well. We often went to US 30 Dragstrip in Indiana as soon as I got my DL. Back then the times and speeds of todays dragsters was only a dream.
chicago-indoor-drag-strip-in-the-60s.jpg

Last edited:
I dabbled in drag racing in the mid 60's. Ran my 33 chevy in c/a. Later on, I took my high school sweetheart (the 55 chevy) to the drags and managed to run a 10.9. (no easy task back then). The 55 ran c/mp not c/gs because the straight axle moved the front wheels forward about an inch.
By the end of the 60's, bracket racing was formed (run too fast and you lose), and I found I liked circle track racing better.

33 chevy 4.jpg blk55.jpg

Believe it or not in Chicago around 1963 they held indoor drags. Me and a friend went to a couple of the events. I think it was 1/16 of a mile. I think it lasted only for two years. It was at the Amphitheater. One car stands out in my memory was a 62 Pontiac named "Alcoa Presents". It was sponsored by the Alcoa Aluminum Company. What a beauty it was. Lots of Mopar Ramchargers as well. We often went to US 30 Dragstrip in Indiana as soon as I got my DL. Back then the times and speeds of todays dragsters was only a dream.
View attachment 115188
Yep! I think it was a 62 Catalina with red and white stripes. Two other cars I remember were the Ford Thunderbolt and the hometown favorite Shake, Rattle and Run 57 Chevy. Just happened to be there when these three were there. Often wondered what happened to that Pontiac.

Yep! I think it was a 62 Catalina with red and white stripes. Two other cars I remember were the Ford Thunderbolt and the hometown favorite Shake, Rattle and Run 57 Chevy. Just happened to be there when these three were there. Often wondered what happened to that Pontiac.

The only "Alcoa Presents" I could find was a Plymouth built back then with aluminum body parts. :) :)
Now, the shake, rattle, and run 57 was and is dear to my heart. (y)(y)

Alcoa Presents.jpg R.jpg

A sad day for drag racing. Final race Bandimere Raceway and the NHRA Mile High Nationals. Bandimere was a name in racing when USAF had me based at Lowry Field in the '60s. For me it is like a part of my racing memories is dying.

Don't follow NHRA drag racing all that much anymore, but still pangs of days gone by tug at the memories.

RIP Mile High Nationals. Never be the same again for me.

I went to Gainesville in March to watch the Gatornationals this year. I attend a lot of the big NHRA races. I also attended the 2023 Spring Nationals in Pomona. The smell of Alcohol or Nitro gets my blood racing.

I was involved in drag racing during the 70’s and 80’s. The very first thing I learned is that if you want to compete, you either need deep pockets or a major sponsor. I spent over $80,000 my very first season. That included the price of the enclosed trailer and spare parts, including a second engine and rear end completely assembled and ready for swapping if the need be. Most other parts are available locally.

I read that the NHRA is going to stream 37 of the Lucas Oil Races this season for free. I have 4 more races I would like to attend. I have to make sure I can travel due to my pain concerns.

Back