"Not a Problem"

Uptosnuff

Whatever happened to saying "You're Welcome" when someone thanks you? Now, all I hear when I thank someone is "Not a problem".

Where did and why did this response come about?

I find this annoying and I'm not even sure why.

I've thought the same thing, Snuffy.

I think it is a turn off because there seems to be an implication that another's request of us was at first, an imposition. But now, it's "no problem".

My company banned customer service reps from saying that to customers, but not everyone could stop the habit.

I havn’t heard ‘Not a problem’. just ‘No problem’ , it dosn’t bother me personally...:)

Last edited:
I have heard it , it does irritate me slightly, because I feel that when they're saying this, it's as if I've imposed on their day, and they've gone out of their way to get me a coffee or whatever it may be.. out of the goodness of their heart!! ..However I'm getting used to it, I suppose we have to accept changing language all the time.

I have heard it , it does irritate me slightly, because I feel that when they're saying this, it's as if I've imposed on their day, and they've gone out of their way to get me a coffee or whatever it may be.. out of the goodness of their heart!! ..However I'm getting used to it, I suppose we have to accept changing language all the time.

I guess so, HD. Good grief, can you imagine Billy Shakes listening to us in this century!

Something you might find interesting ...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-problem-yes-its-a-big-problem/

When did everyone born after 1980 decide that "No problem" was interchangeable with "You're welcome"? Who spread that virus? The Taliban?
Listen, today's young people: If you want to infuriate someone born before 1980, just keep telling him "No problem" when they ask you to do something that is most certainly NOT a problem.
A very nice young man who worked for me used to have a little trouble getting in on time. Like, every day. Once a week I would say, "Look, you really have to be at your desk at 10 o'clock." Did he say, "Sorry, I'll try to do better?"
No. He would just smile and say, "No problem."
That nice young man does not work for me anymore.
Saturday night, I took my wife to a good restaurant. The waitress asked if we wanted sparkling water, still water, or tap water. I said, "Tap water, please." She said, "No problem."
I felt like saying, "Why do YOU think I think it would be a problem for you to get me a glass of water?" Luckily, my wife gave me a look that said, "Don't start."
And of course my wife was right. The waitress didn't mean to be rude. So consider this a public service announcement.
To all the young people of the world: If you want to get good tips or just generally not infuriate older people, PLEASE, only say "No problem" when there is a reasonable expectation that the task you are performing might be PROBLEMATIC.
i.e.: "Thank you for stopping your car in the rain to help me change a flat tire."
"No problem." Appropriate.
"Thank you for lending me ten thousand dollars to stop the bank from foreclosing on my house."
"No problem." Gracious.
"Thank you for giving me your kidney."
"No problem." Classy.
That's what "No problem" is for! It's a graceful way of telling someone you've gone out of your way to help, not to feel indebted.
But if you work in a doughnut shop and a customer thanks you for selling him a coffee, don't say, "No problem." He's paying for the coffee!
Just say, "You're welcome."
Try it. "Thank you." "You're welcome." Is that so burdensome?
And look at the bright side -- all of us old people will be dead soon, and then everybody born after 1980 can say "No problem" to each other for the rest of your lives.
Just hold off till then, okay? Okay.
You're welcome.

Something you might find interesting ...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/no-problem-yes-its-a-big-problem/

When did everyone born after 1980 decide that "No problem" was interchangeable with "You're welcome"? Who spread that virus? The Taliban?
Listen, today's young people: If you want to infuriate someone born before 1980, just keep telling him "No problem" when they ask you to do something that is most certainly NOT a problem.
A very nice young man who worked for me used to have a little trouble getting in on time. Like, every day. Once a week I would say, "Look, you really have to be at your desk at 10 o'clock." Did he say, "Sorry, I'll try to do better?"
No. He would just smile and say, "No problem."
That nice young man does not work for me anymore.
Saturday night, I took my wife to a good restaurant. The waitress asked if we wanted sparkling water, still water, or tap water. I said, "Tap water, please." She said, "No problem."
I felt like saying, "Why do YOU think I think it would be a problem for you to get me a glass of water?" Luckily, my wife gave me a look that said, "Don't start."
And of course my wife was right. The waitress didn't mean to be rude. So consider this a public service announcement.
To all the young people of the world: If you want to get good tips or just generally not infuriate older people, PLEASE, only say "No problem" when there is a reasonable expectation that the task you are performing might be PROBLEMATIC.
i.e.: "Thank you for stopping your car in the rain to help me change a flat tire."
"No problem." Appropriate.
"Thank you for lending me ten thousand dollars to stop the bank from foreclosing on my house."
"No problem." Gracious.
"Thank you for giving me your kidney."
"No problem." Classy.
That's what "No problem" is for! It's a graceful way of telling someone you've gone out of your way to help, not to feel indebted.
But if you work in a doughnut shop and a customer thanks you for selling him a coffee, don't say, "No problem." He's paying for the coffee!
Just say, "You're welcome."
Try it. "Thank you." "You're welcome." Is that so burdensome?
And look at the bright side -- all of us old people will be dead soon, and then everybody born after 1980 can say "No problem" to each other for the rest of your lives.
Just hold off till then, okay? Okay.
You're welcome.

I love it! This sums it up exactly. And humorously :)

I don't mind that much because at least they're saying SOMETHING as an acknowledgement. What really drives me up the wall is when people say "GOTCHA" or I get it or I get you instead of " I understand" or "I see".

As long as I understand what's being communicated, I could care less about the exact words used. In a restaurant I frequent, a day manager would use, "No worries," instead of "You're welcome!" While the gf and I found it a little odd, we got used to it. No big deal.

FYI in Australia you are likely to hear "No worries, mate". It means both "You're welcome" and "No problem" all rolled up into one.

Lately I find myself replying to someone thanking me for something I have done with "It is my pleasure," because it really is.

I hear thank you and no problem, don't have an issue with either of them. When you say thank you and there's dead silence, then it's like they don't even acknowledge what you said, so that's a bit rude to me....but I don't think too much about it. I was brought up starting in the 50s to be very polite and have manners, so I often say please and thank you without much thought. But there have been times myself where I've said 'no trouble' or 'no problem'.

I interpret the as "it's OK that you bothered me in order to give you some of my time but try not to make a habit of it." Needlass to say I think it stinks and you will find athletes do it way too often.

FYI in Australia you are likely to hear "No worries, mate". It means both "You're welcome" and "No problem" all rolled up into one.

Lately I find myself replying to someone thanking me for something I have done with "It is my pleasure," because it really is.

That's a really gracious response. I like it and I have used it myself.

In some European languages, the response to "Thank you" is completely different than it is in English. I'm pretty sure in German it's "Bitte," which also means "Please." In French it's "De rien," which means "It's nothing." There are probably a million more variations.

I agree with C'est Moi. We have bigger things to worry about.

Mr. Robinson dislikes it so much that he has been known to let the server know (after he has developed a good rapport with them) that "You`re welcome" is a much better response than "No problem",as "No problem",to him,makes it seem like maybe it IS a problem. Then he tips them very well,so maybe it sticks with them?

Back