Note to Our Canadian Members/Friends

Like mrstime, things in BC are reasonably stable right now. There are some fires and had some in May that put us in extreme air quality conditions. These fires used to be rare, now we just expect them and hope they’re not too close to burn communities. Most people live in the valleys and that’s where the smoke settles.

We keep our emergency To Go bags packed for evacuation year round. The biggest danger is fire.

Like mrstime, things in BC are reasonably stable right now. There are some fires and had some in May that put us in extreme air quality conditions. These fires used to be rare, now we just expect them and hope they’re not too close to burn communities. Most people live in the valleys and that’s where the smoke settles.

We keep our emergency To Go bags packed for evacuation year round. The biggest danger is fire.
Glad you and @mrstime are safe Jules! You are wise to keep your "go bags" ready.
Thousands of people have been evacuated from their homes so far. The photo included in this article looks very similar to what I was seeing out my window earlier today.
https://www.reuters.com/business/en...lerts-canadian-smoke-drifts-south-2023-06-07/
@Pepper It got dark for a while here too. Even the inside of my apartment took on an amber hue which got darker. I didn't get the smell of smoke though.

Get used to it! It will only get worse next year. This is the price everyone has to pay for flying around to some exotic island to get married, living in monster homes, driving big SUVs, driving big 4X4 trucks, driving snowmobiles, motorcycles for fun, personnel water crafts for more fun and keeping those 2nd homes and monster cottages in the bush where you can drink your beer while driving around on a huge pontoon boat. Oh, dear! I forgot! Overpopulation too. Good luck; your gonna need it because what goes around comes around.

Attachments

• High Lifers.jpg
    High Lifers.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Toys for Boys.jpg
    Toys for Boys.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Wild Child.jpg
    Wild Child.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
It is a sad state of affaires, no matter how or where it started,
Canada is a big sparsely populated country, so it must be hard
to even find the fires early enough to stop them quickly.

I hope you can get some real rain to help the situation!

Stay safe if you can and keep out of the smoke, this applies to
all affected, I include all Americans too.

Mike.

Get used to it! It will only get worse next year. This is the price everyone has to pay for flying around to some exotic island to get married, living in monster homes, driving big SUVs, driving big 4X4 trucks, driving snowmobiles, motorcycles for fun, personnel water crafts for more fun and keeping those 2nd homes and monster cottages in the bush where you can drink your beer while driving around on a huge pontoon boat. Oh, dear! I forgot! Overpopulation too. Good luck; your gonna need it because what goes around comes around.
Update: Yesterday the Governor of the Bank of Canada raised the interest rate up another 25 points. He said Canadians are just spending too much money and causing the inflation rate to be higher than acceptable.

I say they are just living way "too high off the hog" and they are spending money they ain't got. If you ask my humble option, the day of reckoning is coming and it's coming faster than some folks figure! Yap! For those folks that took part in the bidding war for monster houses, your future is starting to look mighty grim!

OH! I don't know what all the fuss and sweat is about? I live right in the middle of Canada. This morning I went out for a walk. It was a beautiful morning with just the right temperature. Air was very clear. I am going hiking in one of our provincial parks this Saturday. Wear a mask? You gotta be kidding. Maybe if you live in New York or Toronto (both Monster Cities of ill repute) and out west there in La La Land (BC), you better stay inside or wear a couple masks on your face.

Living in the middle of Canada, I just say, "We're not SEXY but we're GOOD!

I haven't watched much news lately, but I'm in Colorado and the skies have been smokey from the Canadian fires for at least a week now. I hope all our Canadian friends are okay and able to deal with this situation until it passes.

We had some intense wildfire smoke by me years ago, and it was eerie the way the smoke blocked the sun and gave everything outside on orange hue. I saw images from New York yesterday, and they were intense. Very unfortunate to need N95 masks just to breathe.

My heart goes out to those in Canada who are affected and the folks in close distances. Fires are scary and deadly for humans and animals, smoke can be deadly for those with health conditions.

I hope all fires are contained and the air clears quickly as possible.

Thanks for thinking about us, Kate. We are very fortunate here in New Brunswick because the wind is blowing the other way! Not a trace of smoke! Thank God, the weather has been dismal lately. I am losing track of time, but it must be a week since last we saw the sun! Nothing but rain, showers and mist! In the past I would have never said: What a blessing! And rather than being depressed the folks around me are quite happy with the current soggy weather!

It is a sad state of affaires, no matter how or where it started,
Canada is a big sparsely populated country, so it must be hard
to even find the fires early enough to stop them quickly.
In Nova Scotia's case the opposite is true, except for the huge one in the southwest of the Province! The majority of fires started close to new subdivisions near the city of Halifax and burned down 155 homes with another 50 damaged. And it's not hard to believe that some idiots started the catastrophe by burning things in an extremely dry late spring, when we had 33 degrees Celsius and very gusty winds on the day they started!

Back