Now the cardio wants to have tests on my lungs..

Denise1952

..and emphysema was mentioned because my mom had it. I am so bummed, and after I shared this with my sister I am living with, she went out to smoke a cigarette, lol! So I just can't talk to her about how I feel. I just see her as beyond stupid at this point. I'll be honest in telling you it doesn't seem fair either that I'm the one to possibly have lung problems. I smoked a little in my teens, but I grew up in a house full of smoke, had asthma, but it went away in my teens. I'm just angry. I don't want anyone else to get sick, I just planned so many things and now it seems they are all going to be impossible.

I know these are only tests they are going to run, some "nuclear" thing he called it, and then that breathing tube thing where you blow. Some people here know how active I was, and I think I will want to die if I can't do my hikes and kayak. Well, things happen for a reason right.

I know people here deal with much worse, I am sorry to whine, I just needed to talk and sadly, this is all I have right now. The doc gave me anti-depressants which I hate, but he kept encouraging me to try for 6 weeks, I usually won't take them more then a few days because I hate the way they make me feel. But I need to trust him, I don't have anything or anyone else.

Oh Denise,I`m so sorry you`re going through this. Isn`t it rare to have Emphysema if you are not a smoker? My sister has it but she smoked for many,many years. I was a very heavy smoker until age 38 and so far no lung problems. I so hope that is not what it is. When do you go for testing?

I'll find out in the a.m. Mrs. R. I'll let you know and thanks for the reply. It was nice to see as I am struggling to keep upbeat and hopeful about it all:)

Perhaps the test is for the purpose of eliminating emphysema as the cause of any breathlessness you may be experiencing.
Don't assume a bad result before you find out the results.
If it is bad news it is time to deal with is in whatever way open to you, but when you are powerless to do anything, worrying just weakens you further.

This sounds trite, but try to find moments of inner peace using whatever works for you. It can't hurt and it might just help.

Nwlady.....I am hoping for good results for you. An awful feeling when it is as if you are losing control of your own life.

You mention that you fear not being able to kayak and hike....I think deep down you still have a lot of "get up and go" left in you and while you might not be able to do it so often or for so long you will hopefully get to do what you enjoy.

You know Denice, you've always got friends on this forum. I have blown into the plastic gauge thing for years and have watched my breathing decline year after year. Nothing to it. Just see how high you can get the little ball to go up the tube.
Try to cheer up and remember, if you need to, PM ME ANYTIME FOR ANY INFO I CAN HELP YOU WITH.
Pappy

Boy oh boy Denise, you sure aren't getting any breaks here, are you? Hopefully the test will come out negative, keeping my fingers crossed for you. It's rare, but it could be from second hand smoke, chemicals, etc...hopefully that's not the case with you. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400372/Do-NonSmokers-Get-Emphysema.html Please let us know the test result. :love_heart:

Wow, that's the same article that came up for me yesterday, from Dr. Weil? I so like him. Yes, it is rare the doc said, but also, after I calmed down a bit last evening, I remember he said that they had to go test by test to eliminated "the big bad" he called them, lol;) He is an Indian guy, really calm and kind talking, but thorough, I felt he really was talking to me not just at me.

The only chemical thing I thought about was when I lived in my little, rented room, my landlord worked in his shop directly below my room. He made pens out of "stinky" plastic material. He didn't have ventilation except for one window. I "only" smelled it if I went down to see him which I did maybe 5 times total since last of 2011. I couldn't handle the smell and I told him I was worried about him breathing that crap. I "never" smelled it in my room though, and I really think I would have as I smell everything, LOL!

My ears did start ringing while living there, and also, the shortness of breath started as well. I still don't see how that could start overnight like that, the SOB I mean. One day I was breathing fine, and the next I wasn't. That has me stumped, but the tests will reveal what it is I hope, soon I hope:) I am way better about the whole thing this a.m. and like I said, he coaxed me into the lexapro (anti depressant). I think it's a good idea as last night I had nightmares, people were dropping like flies from some disease. Brad Pitt was in the dreams but he wasn't any comfort since he's not my cup of tea, LOL! Oh, and I got my flu shot yesterday, which I am very glad of now, and maybe that was why the dreams as I hadn't started my med. Can't think of another reason I'd have weirdo nightmares like that. Thanks SB:) Appreciate your note a lot this a.m.:) Denise

Perhaps the test is for the purpose of eliminating emphysema as the cause of any breathlessness you may be experiencing.
Don't assume a bad result before you find out the results.
If it is bad news it is time to deal with is in whatever way open to you, but when you are powerless to do anything, worrying just weakens you further.

This sounds trite, but try to find moments of inner peace using whatever works for you. It can't hurt and it might just help.

Yes, you are right about all of that Dame, I appreciate your reply;) I'm feeling better this a.m. and most of all, I was thinking about it only being tests, he is just letting me know what they are going to do to solve it:) Thanks again, Denise

Nwlady.....I am hoping for good results for you. An awful feeling when it is as if you are losing control of your own life.

You mention that you fear not being able to kayak and hike....I think deep down you still have a lot of "get up and go" left in you and while you might not be able to do it so often or for so long you will hopefully get to do what you enjoy.

Thanks Lee, I won't give up, and you are right, it doesn't mean I can't do anything, and like Dame said, just tests to eliminate stuff, so I'll try hard to keep that good attitude. You guys are a real help with that, hugs, denise

Hoping you get good news.

Thanks QS, I'll let you guys know here. I will get a call this a.m. to tell me when to come back in for those 2 tests to start:)

You know Denice, you've always got friends on this forum. I have blown into the plastic gauge thing for years and have watched my breathing decline year after year. Nothing to it. Just see how high you can get the little ball to go up the tube.
Try to cheer up and remember, if you need to, PM ME ANYTIME FOR ANY INFO I CAN HELP YOU WITH.
Pappy

Oh Pappy, I get so self-centered I didn't realize you had a breathing issue, or didn't remember. Thanks for telling me, and I will blow that little ball outa the park, LOL!!

Good to see you are feeling a little better about it all. Most people get a bit wound up when facing medical test of which they know little about what the outcome may be. More often than not, like the doc said process of elimination is what they have to do when they don't have a clear answer staring them in the face or when confirmation needs to be secured. Likely it's nothing. We have so many pollutants in the air these days it's rather common for people to end up needing these types of test.

Will keep you in my thought and hoping for good news for you. When are your test scheduled for? Whenever it is, good luck.

Good to see you are feeling a little better about it all. Most people get a bit wound up when facing medical test of which they know little about what the outcome may be. More often than not, like the doc said process of elimination is what they have to do when they don't have a clear answer staring them in the face or when confirmation needs to be secured. Likely it's nothing. We have so many pollutants in the air these days it's rather common for people to end up needing these types of test.

Will keep you in my thought and hoping for good news for you. When are your test scheduled for? Whenever it is, good luck.

Thanks April, yeah, I go for the worse, case scenario, geesh:playful: I so wanted it to be the pacemaker and just set the dang thing right, but I was wrong. At least after all those tests I have had, they figured out it isn't my heart, I think they covered all that;) Thanks for your note April, sometimes I forget how many caring folks are right here on SF. I want to be one of them and watch for others who need a lift on occasion;) Denise

I`m so glad to see you feeling more positive today. I do have one very big concern though,one I feel you should bring up to your doctor. Brad Pitt is not your cup of tea??!!?? Oh my,Denise! There must be something very wrong with you!! ;)

LOLLLLLLLL!! I don't know what it is about him, but I'm more of a Pierce Brosnan kinda girl, LOL!! Yep, I've been reading a lot today and there are a couple things that make way more sense to me then it being emphysema. But I know I'll just have to jump through the hoops with tests and find out. I did get the note from Pappy, and, my cousin Linda has COPD and she is handling life very well, so I know I can too if it's that;) Thanks again Mrs. R, you and the rest have been super kind to listen to my whining, lol;) hugs, Denise

I`m so glad to see you feeling more positive today. I do have one very big concern though,one I feel you should bring up to your doctor. Brad Pitt is not your cup of tea??!!?? Oh my,Denise! There must be something very wrong with you!! ;)

Yes, good point, I didn't want to say anything till after her next appointment, didn't want to alarm her, but I too was concerned about the Brad comment. I nearly needed defibrillator when I read that. :laugh:

Hey, Denise, I am a late-comer to all of this; but wishing you the best with the tests, too. It is good they are eliminating the worst "suspects" first, and not let something serious get worse, while they are trying to treat a little thing. If it is not serious, you will know and can stop worrying, and if it does turn out to be something serious; the faster they start treating you for it, the better.
As for the Brad Pitt thing; I am totally with you on that, and Pierce Brosnan is much more my type , too ! I loved the movie, The Thomas Crowne Affair. If you haven't watched it------you need to !
(and the rest of you "Brad Pitt people" , if you watch this movie, you will probably forget about Brad Pitt, too.)

Just saw your thread Denise. I hope all goes well with the tests.
I have had them all and was diagnosed with mild emphysema and asthma about 15 years ago.
At first the doctor had me on two inhalers but gradually I felt I didn't need them and now just
have one in case I need it but hardly ever do.
I can get out and walk for about a half hour at a time before getting a little short of breath and can
do my house work but I'm slower than I used to be. :)

I never smoked but was around second hand smoke and used cleaning supplies which I shouldn't have.
I know better now.
Good luck with the tests.

My only question as far as it being Emphysema or COPD is that this came on rather suddenly and severely,didn`t it? It seems either of those come on gradually,usually. I know that was the case with my sister.....

Hey, Denise, I am a late-comer to all of this; but wishing you the best with the tests, too. It is good they are eliminating the worst "suspects" first, and not let something serious get worse, while they are trying to treat a little thing. If it is not serious, you will know and can stop worrying, and if it does turn out to be something serious; the faster they start treating you for it, the better.
As for the Brad Pitt thing; I am totally with you on that, and Pierce Brosnan is much more my type , too ! I loved the movie, The Thomas Crowne Affair. If you haven't watched it------you need to !
(and the rest of you "Brad Pitt people" , if you watch this movie, you will probably forget about Brad Pitt, too.)

LOL, right on HFL, I LOVE that movie! I got my sister to watch it and all she said afterwards was "he's HOT" LOL!!

When are you having this nuclear test Denise?

They didn't call yesterday with my schedule/appt. So, I will call today just to see if I can make sure she has my new number. I am not positive, but I had a CT scan and I think that is what they were talking about. I can't figure why they would give me another of those though? Unless the CT scan only covers a certain area at a time. This one he wants to give me involves injecting me with something, and then scanning my lungs (I hope I have that right) but I know he said nuclear something or something nuclear. I didn't like that first one, felt just like I layed there and pee'd my pants:badgirl:

My only question as far as it being Emphysema or COPD is that this came on rather suddenly and severely,didn`t it? It seems either of those come on gradually,usually. I know that was the case with my sister.....

I can't agree more, that is the part I keep telling them over and over, just so they know that is exactly what happened. Like I said at the appt. "it was like someone just turned off a switch, or disconnected a wire". I walked up that path for 45 minutes one day, and the very next I was gasping for air and had to stop.

They didn't call yesterday with my schedule/appt. So, I will call today just to see if I can make sure she has my new number. I am not positive, but I had a CT scan and I think that is what they were talking about. I can't figure why they would give me another of those though? Unless the CT scan only covers a certain area at a time. This one he wants to give me involves injecting me with something, and then scanning my lungs (I hope I have that right) but I know he said nuclear something or something nuclear. I didn't like that first one, felt just like I layed there and pee'd my pants:badgirl:

The nuclear scan.. aka VQ scan, or Perfusion study, looks for something different than a CT scan. It's looking for lung perfusion... how the blood is flowing throught the vessels in the lung to see how your blood is being oxygenated. It can also be used to detect small PEs (pulmonary embolisms...clots). Which could explain the sudden onset of your SOB.

Hmm, thanks for this, so that's the first time anyone has explained "why" it might suddenly show up, thanks QS. Yes, they did mention testing the oxygen, which of course, is what they would do since I'm not getting enough.

Back