O.J. Simpson Case

From the start, the prosecution killed their own case. There was no reason to arrest him so fast before building their evidence properly. Their case lasted too long and bored everyone to tears. The glove didn't fit, so the jury did acquit.

Aside from myself, is there anyone else who believes the outcome was a farce?

Regarding the judge, Judge Lance Ito was clearly intimidated by Simpson's defense team, and possibly aware that there could be a replay of the L.A. riots after the police were acquitted, in the Rodney King arrest. Simpson's lead attorney, Johnny Cochran (who was Rodney King's counsel as well)
was "in charge" at all times throughout the trial, which I watched gavel to gavel on CourtTV. Judge Ito allowed Cochran to hand pick a synpathetic jury, who apparently committed jury nullification* and voted to acquit despite the evidence on hand.

Jury Nullification

A jury's knowing and deliberate rejection of the evidence or refusal to apply the law either because the jury wants to send a message about some social issue that is larger than the case itself, or because the result dictated by law is contrary to the jury's sense of justice, morality, or fairness.
Jury nullification is a discretionary act, and is not a legally sanctioned function of the jury. It is considered to be inconsistent with the jury's duty to return a verdict based solely on the law and the facts of the case. The jury does not have a right to nulification, and counsel is not permitted to present the concept of jury nullification to the jury. However, jury verdicts of acquittal are unassailable even where the verdict is inconsistent with the weight of the evidence and instruction of the law.

Poor Mark Fuhrman, he's the one who turned out to be the bad guy.

jmo
"Opinion?" If you heard what he said on tape, it wouldn't be an opinion. He is a bad guy; one of many in police departments. And he's more responsible for a double murderer's acquittal than O.J.'s attorneys. They simply used what he provided for them on a serving platter.....along with the prosecuting attorney's apathy & incompetence.

Judge Ito never had control of the trial. There were way too many sidebars allowed by the defense. This was done to manipulate the judge’s mind, what little he had. By the time Cochran and Shapiro took turns working over the judge and then when Ito looked out at the defense table and saw Kardashian, Dershowitz and Bailey still sitting in the bull pen, he had to be so intimidated that he probably couldn’t spit, even if he had wanted to.

Just 3 years prior, Rodney King had his clock cleaned by the LAPD. That was followed by rioting and beatings in the streets. Keeping this in mind, it was (is) my opinion that the jury was very much intimidated that if O.J. was found innocent, L.A. may again suffer the same consequences.

I don’t think the jury was going to need a lot of testimony that may have been tainted to find “reasonable doubt” and allow him to go free. I believe that to some degree, the jurors felt they were doing the people of L.A. a favor.

Mr. Goldman and the Brown family never received justice for the killing of their family members.

Poor Mark Fuhrman, he's the one who turned out to be the bad guy.

jmo
I doubt if anyone would argue that Fuhrman was a true racist. This made him easy meat for Cochran.

Fuhrman was also involved in the Martha Moxley case a few years later. Some credit him with solving it and some don’t. That was another case that got all messed up due to a mixture of law enforcement and legal errors. This can happen when a relative of a Kennedy is involved.

I doubt if anyone would argue that Fuhrman was a true racist. This made him easy meat for Cochran.

Fuhrman was also involved in the Martha Moxley case a few years later. Some credit him with solving it and some don’t. That was another case that got all messed up due to a mixture of law enforcement and legal errors. This can happen when a relative of a Kennedy is involved.
I read Fuhrman's book about Moxley's murder years ago. "Murder In Greenwich" and the mistakes made by the Greenwich police.

Connecticut prosecutors are closing the door on the 45-year-old murder case involving Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel, who was previously accused of bludgeoning to death his 15-year-old neighbor Martha Moxley in Greenwich.

Chief State's Attorney Richard Colangelo Jr. said Friday — exactly 45 years after Moxley's death — that the state will not seek a second trial for Skakel.

During a hearing in Stamford Superior Court, Chief State's Attorney Richard Colangelo filed what is known as a "nolle" — a legal declaration allowing for the case in question to be dismissed after 13 months, his office confirmed to NPR.

A Connecticut prosecutor says the Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel, shown here, will not face a second trial in the 1975 murder of teenager Martha Moxley in Greenwich.
Seth Wenig/AP

Coincidentally, this occurred just day before yesterday,10/31/20

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/30/9294...y-kennedy-cousin-in-martha-moxley-murder-case

I read Fuhrman's book about Moxley's murder years ago. "Murder In Greenwich" and the mistakes made by the Greenwich police.

Connecticut prosecutors are closing the door on the 45-year-old murder case involving Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel, who was previously accused of bludgeoning to death his 15-year-old neighbor Martha Moxley in Greenwich.

Chief State's Attorney Richard Colangelo Jr. said Friday — exactly 45 years after Moxley's death — that the state will not seek a second trial for Skakel.

During a hearing in Stamford Superior Court, Chief State's Attorney Richard Colangelo filed what is known as a "nolle" — a legal declaration allowing for the case in question to be dismissed after 13 months, his office confirmed to NPR.

A Connecticut prosecutor says the Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel, shown here, will not face a second trial in the 1975 murder of teenager Martha Moxley in Greenwich.
Seth Wenig/AP

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/30/9294...y-kennedy-cousin-in-martha-moxley-murder-case

I remember the Moxley case.

Thanks for posting this, RR.

From the start, the prosecution killed their own case. There was no reason to arrest him so fast before building their evidence properly. Their case lasted too long and bored everyone to tears. The glove didn't fit, so the jury did acquit.

I agree -- way too much detail about the DNA issue (probably fascinating to forensics guys, but unintelligible and boring to the jury). I also think the biggest mistake the prosecution made was the glove thing. They should have known that a leather glove that had once been soaked with blood would shrink when it dried and wouldn't fit if it had been OJ's.

As to Judge Ito, I seriously doubt he was "paid off" as some have suggested. People always want to think judges are paid off, but in actuality it almost never happens. WAY too much at stake for the judge involved, who would be risking his career, his license, his family, his reputation and, of course, jail to boot, as well as the career of his wife, who was a high ranking office in the police force. It would have taken one hell of a lot of money to pay him off in the first place, and would have been relatively easy to discover via scrutiny of his finances. And you can bet that there were people looking.

I think he made a lot of mistakes in the trial, which have been documented in the press ad nauseum, but I don't think for a minute he was paid off.

Seth Wenig/AP

Her mother moved to NJ later and was still bothered by the press if it slipped out where she lived. We tried to shield her from them whenever they snooped around. I read the article a couple of days ago, Radish that he's off the hook.

Back