Obesity & Covid-19....risky

With many illnesses, personal feelings & biases are always part of the equation.
Racists blame Asians, Hispanics, Blacks & illegal aliens for Covid. They'll just pick one group they hate the most & blame them for whatever the disease of the month (or year) is. Ignorance abounds.
And people who want to feel better about themselves & don't have a weight problem will blame overweight people - "They did it to themselves."

It's not easy to lose 50 pounds or more fast, though! All those overweight know it by now they are at risk. People with eating problems sometimes need lots of help by counselors and doctors to lose it and not to be pressured by people who are just plain rude. A person's weight is their own personal business and no one else's. So many like to go around judging those overweight because of how they look--no one likes to be judged on how they look for any reason.

Last edited:
Yes, old people are dying & fat people are dying but everyone is being punished!

I don't see us as being punished. I see those who do not want to wear masks or social distance as being forced to do so in public places that require it to help protect vulnerable people. Those who don't practice transmission prevention are punishing vulnerable people by making the world more dangerous to them and also forcing them into further isolation by not helping create the least dangerous public environment possible. I consider that very selfish of them.

In addition those people are also increasing the danger to everyone because every person who is infected by the virus gives us another chance for a mutation to develop which could increase the danger to everyone.

It's not easy to lose 50 pounds or more fast, though! All those overweight know it by now they are at risk. People with eating problems sometimes need lots of help by counselors and doctors to lose it and not to be pressured by people who are just plain rude. A person's weight is their own personal business and no one else's. So many like to go around judging those overweight because of how they look--no one likes to be judged on how they look for any reason.
Counselors? Maybe. Doctors? It's a rare doctor who bothers to study nutrition, thought there are a few.
It's not taught in medical school & doctors' continuing education is funded by pharmaceutical companies & they know where the profit is.

40 years ago, I saw 5 doctors at 405 lbs. Each one gave me advice that ranged from useless to ridiculous. One doctor I never met helped me lose 235 lbs. (Dr. Joel Fuhrman) who wrote a book called, "Eat to Live."
In my photo, I'm at 185 lbs. I'm at 165 now & haven't gained an ounce in 12 years.

That's what they say and I'm fat. My job also has put me inches from Covid patients, I've been diligent at work and have had both vaccines. Haven't worked directly with Covid people in some time.

My weight gain started at 8 from childhood abuse. Nobody cared then. They were discussing nicotine addiction on the radio the other day and stated it's harder to quit than crack. I have actually heard it compared to heroin also. I smoked when young and quit when young. Smoked about 6 years. I was able to kick that. Food is a lifelong battle. It's so ingrained as my comfort and solace, I've never been able to change it. And how I have tried.

Thank you for posting. I've had little therapy. Perhaps 20-25 sessions. Nothing ever seemed to help me though one therapist told me my childhood was "un-survivable." My mother was mentally ill.

I'm not in the mood for putting up with people anymore. I've known for years that you can beat your spouse and kids, kick your dog and if you look good when you walk out the front door, society will treat you better then me.

When they show people on the news who have died from covid, more times than not, they're obese, so a lot of them are probably diabetic. People who let themselves get that overweight probably smoke, too, and just don't take care of themselves.
Some people are overweight because the food they can afford is not quality food. Potatoes are cheaper than squash or asparagus or even green beans these days. The apples we buy are 2 dollars plus a pound. In some cases, the five dollar or four dollar fast food options can supply two meals in a day. High calories so you gain weight.

While I became obese, I did not over eat, I ate poorly. I ate what we could afford. I have lost weight these last few years due to eating better food, and stomach issues, not dieting. But the fact that I lost 25 pounds while taking prednisone is worrisome to my doctor. 25 pounds lost by an obese person who is not dieting or trying to lose weight is not good.

I’ve never smoked, never drank, and generalizations, fat shaming, and presumptions that overweight people willfully don't take care of themselves by other people displays a certain amount of ignorance by the accuser. IMO.

Also a lot of diabetics are either type 1 which has nothing to do with weight, or there is a genetic component. There are a lot of diabetics in my family. I totally agree with @Ruthanne. My weight is my business.

To be my ideal weight I need to lose 30 more pounds, but if I do, the doctors want to start tube feedings which I will not do. Meanwhile I just try and not regain what I have lost so I watch what I eat, and I eat 2000 calories a day. But at my doctors visit on Friday I gave up 8 tubes of blood. She wants to know why I am losing weight.

When they show people on the news who have died from covid, more times than not, they're obese, so a lot of them are probably diabetic. People who let themselves get that overweight probably smoke, too, and just don't take care of themselves.
^^^^ Quite an assortment of mistaken assumptions.
And, I hope they make you feel better about yourself.

Last edited:
For those who were offended by my comment about overweight people, I apologize. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone.

I'm not exactly skinny and have been known to eat a lot of crap -- especially when I'm feeling depressed or pissed off about something. I've also had problems with drugs, alcohol, and used to smoke. In other words, I didn't take very good care of myself and am sometimes surprised that I'm still alive after all the abuse my body has taken, so my comment was from my own self-destructive behavior.

I have been following the McDougal Starch Solution diet since February, and am losing weight (while eating foods that I enjoy), but I am also reading other nutrition books and watching videos.
I have just ordered the book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, “The End of Dieting”, bought the ebook for his Fast and Easy recipes, and have been watching some of his talks.
This short video is about the foods that he calls G-BOMBS, which is an acronym for Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds. It talks about eating foods that are disease preventing (such as anti-cancer), as well as about their benefit for anti-aging.

Even if we have not taken care of our bodies over our life, it is never too late to start taking care of ourself, and having the healthiest body possible. At least that is my opinion.

I have been following the McDougal Starch Solution diet since February, and am losing weight (while eating foods that I enjoy), but I am also reading other nutrition books and watching videos.
I have just ordered the book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, “The End of Dieting”, bought the ebook for his Fast and Easy recipes, and have been watching some of his talks.
This short video is about the foods that he calls G-BOMBS, which is an acronym for Greens, Beans, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries, and Seeds. It talks about eating foods that are disease preventing (such as anti-cancer), as well as about their benefit for anti-aging.

Even if we have not taken care of our bodies over our life, it is never too late to start taking care of ourself, and having the healthiest body possible. At least that is my opinion.

It's not the potatoes and starches that cause us to gain weight, it's the animal products - dairy is a terrible offender - along with fats and oils. Processed foods and fast foods are disastrous to our health but many governments refuse to put their citizens' health above the lobbying dollars of massive food corporations.

Too many doctors and virtually all pharma companies have a vested interest in keeping us sick. A horrible thing to say, but it's the truth.

Too many doctors and virtually all pharma companies have a vested interest in keeping us sick. A horrible thing to say, but it's the truth.

Absolutely! Our Health Care Industry has a vested interest in keeping our people running back and forth to the doctors, hospitals, and Pharmacies....so they can continue to get richer. According to virtually all the data, being overweight is the Number One underlying cause for at least 1/3rd of our nations health issues and costs, About 1/3rd of our people are overweight, and another 1/3rd are Obese....and that is increasingly across All ages....young And old.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cance...ody-weight-and-cancer-risk/health-issues.html

It appears that there is a direct relationship between Obesity, and those who are dying from this pandemic. This should be a wake up call to those who are overweight, as this virus and its "Variants" will probably be an issue for quite some time.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obesity-driving-factor-covid-19-145033591.html
Losing estrogen and testosterone causes the body's metabolism to drop significantly and it is the fortunate few who don't have to battle the pounds as they get into their 60s and 70s.

Back