Oil and Vinegar Dressing and Chicken Scallopini recipe

Where we are it’s claimed to be the best whiting fishing in Australia @Pinky of course I’m only going on what the locals brag about :):)
Its a long weekend next weekend so The boat parking area / the sides of the road leading to,the huge parking area will be full to the brim with visitors boat trailers of all shapes and sizes.
There is some huge snapper caught here as well ,I like snapper but hubby likes whiting
Whiting is mild, so I wasn't allergic to it. Such a bounty of seafood in SA/Au.

Camper, I'm sorry you seem offended by my suggestion for the wording of your recipe, but I tried to explain. Yes, I'm new here but you seem to feel I've stepped on your toes, and that was never my intention. I also am an experienced cook, and I'm sure there are many here. I'm a long time active member on a cooking site where I've learned how to write a recipe correctly, and how important it is to be very clear to even someone who has no experience in cooking.
You did not say to save the dressing before marinating the chicken.

This is the way it should read.......Save some of the dressing for the salad. Then marinate it in the remaining dressing for about two hours..
It's o.k. I have a hard time expressing myself in writing. I'll edit the post.

But in my younger days I used to write do it yourself step by step articles for magazines along with photos on how to do it and I got paid for it.

Now that's why I present recipes here instead of just linking to a website. I don't present recipes I haven't prepared myself.

Well now. I went back to my original post and it must be too old to edit because there is no edit option now.

So we will just have to let everyone read your suggestion. So far no reports of food poisoning. (y)

Last edited:
It's o.k. I have a hard time expressing myself in writing. I'll edit the post.

But in my younger days I used to write do it yourself step by step articles for magazines along with photos on how to do it and I got paid for it.

Now that's why I present recipes here instead of just linking to a website. I don't present recipes I haven't prepared myself.

No worries Camper. I also don't share recipes I havn't tested, or written myself. Happy cooking to all of us... 🥳 🍸🍸🍾

By the way, I'm making your delicious recipe this week. ;)

Camper, I made your recipe tonight, as promised.
This is a cruet that we have had for years to make oil and vinegar dressing. Can be used for salads.
So I am giving the proportions shown in the picture. I also use it as a marinade and will give a recipe for chicken which turns out really tender and tasty.

For the dressing.
2 ounces of vinegar
2 ounces of water
4 ounces of vegetable oil. Olive oil. Whatever oil you have. Shake it and mix it up. I think that's where the water comes in. It emulsifies the oil.

For the chicken recipe. Scallopini means a thin cut. Sometimes the market has it. Chicken breast cut thin. Otherwise just cut the breast in thin strips about 1/4 inch thick. Breading of your choice. Sometimes I use crushed potato chips.

Using a serrated mallet. Pound the strip to tenderize it. This breaks down the fibers.
Then marinate it in the dressing for about two hours. Save some of the dressing for the salad.
Next coat the chicken fillets with flour.
Next. One egg with a bit of milk beaten.
Dip the fillets in the egg.
Next. Dip the fillets in the breading mix and coat them well.
Spray aluminum foil or coat the foil with oil.
Place the fillets on the foil and bake it in the oven.
I usually like to heat the oven to 400 degrees because it crisps the breading.
Ovens are different so I don't know the time. I used my toaster oven. View attachment 110456I just cook it until it's done to about 165 degrees. You can measure if you have a thermometer. It should be nice and white inside.

Enjoy one of the most tender chicken recipes you will encounter.
Camper, I made your recipe tonight as I promised. I made your dressing/marinade just as you said and since you didn't mention any seasoning at all, it was too bland for my taste. I added Kosher salt, garlic powder, white pepper, and a mix of Singapore Seasoning I really enjoy from myspicesage.com. I saved some of the dressing before marinating the chicken and followed you further directions, using Panko bread crumbs for the final step. I used your oven method for the cooking, but cranked the temp to 450, for better browning and they were done in 15 min. they were so thin. I think they would be even better, shallow fried, but your way is much easier.
Anyway, it's a good recipe I think and well worth doing again. I served it with a rice pilaf containing the mentioned seasonings, and adding chopped fresh spinach.
I hope this is well received, as I love discussing recipes, and hope you do too.

Last edited:
Camper, I made your recipe tonight, as promised.

Camper, I made your recipe tonight as I promised. I made your dressing/marinade just as you said and since you didn't mention any seasoning at all, it was too bland for my taste. I added Kosher salt, garlic powder, white pepper, and a mix of Singapore Seasoning I really enjoy from myspicesage.com. I saved some of the dressing before marinating the chicken and followed you further directions, using Panko bread crumbs for the final step. I used your oven method for the cooking, but cranked the temp to 450, for better browning and they were done in 15 min. they were so thin. I think they would be even better, shallow fried, but your way is much easier.
Anyway, it's a good recipe I think and well worth doing again. I served it with a rice pilaf containing the mentioned seasonings, and adding chopped fresh spinach.
I hope this is well received, as I love discussing recipes, and hope you do too.
Well my focus was on the chicken and not really on the dressing. It's main purpose was to marinate the chicken to make it tender. Chicken is bland and the taste for this recipe comes from the breading. If you read through the thread I recommended adding lemon pepper to the breading. I had the temperature at 400 which in a toaster oven seems to work much faster than a regular oven at least in my experience. But thanks for trying out the recipe. I don't like chewy chicken. Thin slices cook up better.

In this neck of the woods a side dish would be french fries or baked potato with sour cream.
As Homer Simpson would say :"You can't make friends with salad".

Back