Okay to Keep Modem, Computer CPU, and Tesla Solar Panel Box Inside a Cupboard?

officerripley

Hi, got a new computer desk and am storing my Xfinity modem (1.5" wide by 7.5" high by 6" deep), my CPU (4.5" sq.x2"h), Tesla box (5" sq.x 1/2"high) that controls our solar panels through the internet, and an exterior hard drive and a USB hub (both of which aren't much bigger than a credit card in a cupboard that is 11 inches wide by 19.5 inches deep by 15.5 inches high. There is a 1.5 inch cord hole in one side of the cupboard but some of the air coming through that is blocked due to the cords running through it. Will it be okay to have the cupboard door closed, or will it get too hot for those items? (The door to the cupboard is easily removable.)

Thanks for any advice. I tried searching online and the consensus seemed to be split about 50/50.

My opinion. (40 years in IT if that matters.) If they are relatively new/modern devices, and if they have been in service for while (well broken in), then most likely they are set in their ways and will tolerate the heat ok. I've had a small format PC, a UPS power supply, and a couple of external hard drives tucked into a similar space in the console underneath our TV for several years. You can always stick a small thermometer in there and see just how hot it gets.

My opinion. (40 years in IT if that matters.) If they are relatively new/modern devices, and if they have been in service for while (well broken in), then most likely they are set in their ways and will tolerate the heat ok. I've had a small format PC, a UPS power supply, and a couple of external hard drives tucked into a similar space in the console underneath our TV for several years. You can always stick a small thermometer in there and see just how hot it gets.
Thanks, Dr. J.! How hot is too hot, do you think? Oh, and what are the signs of a modem, etc. getting too hot: "no connection" maybe?

I just looked up the specs on several of my pieces of gear and they all list an operating temperature up to 104 degrees. My external drives list a range up to 133 degrees. So anything under 100 degrees and I'm sure you will be fine. If you have the manuals or if you want to google the model number of the equipment you can find the specific range for each piece - it's generally called the operating temperature range.

I just looked up the specs on several of my pieces of gear and they all list an operating temperature up to 104 degrees. My external drives list a range up to 133 degrees. So anything under 100 degrees and I'm sure you will be fine. If you have the manuals or if you want to google the model number of the equipment you can find the specific range for each piece - it's generally called the operating temperature range.
Thanks, Dr. J!

Back