Old fashioned or Odd names you don't hear much anymore

Toomuchstuff

Old fashioned names are/were in style for kids now. My neighbor named her kids Lydia and Emily . Pretty ! But there's alot of them you don't hear anymore ,like some in my family . They're really old , but maybe not considered "pretty" . Hilda. Ida. Olive. Enid . Crescence ...... all on my Grandma's side. I'm sure there's plenty more , but I can't think of them. My mom's name was Eugenia . I've only heard that a handful of other times , but I don't think it's that rare.

Any "odd" or really old fashioned names in your family ?

My first name is ALONZO and you will not find too many CAUCASIANS with that name. Jazz musician LONNIE HEWITT (deceased) & I were in high school in Oakland, California together. It was funny when some one would call out "Hey Lonnie" and one or the other of us would respond and the caller would say "no the white one"

Not too many weird names, but my great grandmother was named Violet. I had a great aunt Georgiana, a great aunt Pauline, & Lillian, & Louise, and Florence. Just to name a few.

The weird names today are really weird. I can't even spell them.

My grandfather was Oscar, my grandmother was Cora, and my aunt was Corina. Another aunt was Flora, her brother was Calvin My aunt Virginia lived in Virginia.

I've disliked my name even as a preschooler. To me it was so boring, so corny. One day as my mother was walking past a girl a little younger than me, the girl asked her, "Are you Elsie The Cow's mother?" lol I don't know what my mother said in response but when I heard about it I wanted to clobber that girl. \

"Elsie The Cow," was a picture of the head of an almost human-like sweet faced cow used as the icon of the Bowman Milk Dairy back then in Wisconsin.

A distant cousin named his daughter Corsicana. Yes, she was actually born in Corsicana, TX. Another cousin named several of his children after states. Virginia and Georgia were OK but I thought Tennessee and Alabama were just asking for a teasing by classmates.

Grandmother = Edith Mae, Mother = Eunice Theodora, Aunt=Theora (none of us children could pronounce this correctly so she always told us to just call her Toots), Aunt=Beatrice. Two years ago my granddaughter named her first child "Stella"...so the OLD names are back in play.

Names like Ethel, Bertha, Gertrude, Mabel come to my mind as old fashioned names. ... and from Carol Burnett's show .. Eunice.

I've disliked my name even as a preschooler. To me it was so boring, so corny. One day as my mother was walking past a girl a little younger than me, the girl asked her, "Are you Elsie The Cow's mother?" lol I don't know what my mother said in response but when I heard about it I wanted to clobber that girl. \

"Elsie The Cow," was a picture of the head of an almost human-like sweet faced cow used as the icon of the Bowman Milk Dairy back then in Wisconsin.
I'm in Wisc and 'Elsie the cow' is the mascot / logo / icon of Borden Dairy.

My grandfather was Aloysius, he went by Allie (I thought is name was Olly for many years). My dad was Alfred, he went by Al.
My grandmother was Julia but went by Julie.
My other grandmother was Leonilla, she went by Nilla. Her twin sister was Armella, she went by Milla.

My granddaughters are; Tatym, Ramsey, Paxton and Bentley.

Not only are old-fashioned names like you guys mentioned gone, but so are the average names I grew up with. Doesn't seem there are many children these days with names like David, Jean, Mary, Bob, etc. Also seems the trend of naming boys after their fathers, with "Jr." tacked on, has fizzled out.

Modern and trendy can be a little unusual, but the trend I dislike is intentionally misspelling names- I think it's a disservice to kids that'll cause unnecessary difficulties throughout their lives.

My dad had a sister named Maude but she died in childhood.

You are right JaniceM,not too many kids being named the names we grew up with-David,Mary etc. Our son is a Jr. but I would never do that again-too confusing. I always have to clarify which Wes I am talking about. As a kid,we called him Wesley mostly,but he`s 37 now so we call him Wes,same as his dad.

Names they say are disappearing .....
Here are some names that apparently are in danger of going extinct in the near future:

To be replaced by:
[h=2]Boys[/h]
  • Kyd, +4141%
  • Benajah, +2300%
  • Sulien, +1656%
  • Koa, +322%
  • Gunther, +307%
[h=2]Girls[/h]
  • Tatjana, +1508%
  • Alizeh, +748%
  • Tahiti, +551%
  • Moana, +467%