Old photo of Wyatt Earp

TV Earp Hugh O'Brian; looks like my father.

iu

Last edited:
Wyatt Earp famously delivered justice the American way—except it’s all a lie, says biographer Andrew Isenberg.

130719-wyatt-earp-isenberg-tease_b1tntq

As a young man, Earp was arrested for horse theft and consorting with prostitutes. He was run out of a Texas town for trying to sell a rock painted yellow as a gold brick. He was drawn to police work not because of a devotion to the law but because, during the Gilded Age when public corruption was rampant, it was an easy source of cash. He went to court in 1896 for having refereed a fixed heavyweight championship prizefight, and as late as 1911, at age 63, he was arrested by the Los Angeles police for running a crooked card game.

In January, 1870, Wyatt married Urilla (Aurilla) Sutherland in a ceremony in Lamar, Missouri by Wyatt’s father just after Wyatt turned 22. Born in 1869 in Monmouth, Illinois, little is known about Urilla, except that she died nine months after the wedding.

Official records show she died of typhus, but lore indicates she died in childbirth; possibly both.

The family blamed Wyatt for her death, believing he had seduced her and gotten her pregnant before the wedding which cost her her life. She died in 1870.

iu

https://www.grunge.com/173143/the-incredible-life-of-wyatt-earp/

Wyatt Warp was never hit with a bullet despite being shot at on many occasions. He preferred to hit guys over the head with his pistol instead of shooting them. He seldom took a drink and some say he never took a drink. He was known to be more than brave, backing down from no one and standing down small angry crowds with no shots fired. He was close friends with Bat Masterson who was very sharp with a pistol.

When I was a little kid he was still spoken about as if he was a Super Hero. Years later numerous books came out about what a crook he was. He used his gun not to stop crime and bring justice but to bring about greater $$$ gain for himself. Just a few year ago I came across his story and Deadwood. Tough guy that he was, he finally met his match on the soft spoken but tough Canadian Seth Bullock. It was the only time he backed away from a fight because he knew he was not the match of the strong but silent law enforcer nicknamed Nanticoke.

images

When I was a little kid he was still spoken about as if he was a Super Hero. Years later numerous books came out about what a crook he was. He used his gun not to stop crime and bring justice but to bring about greater $$$ gain for himself. Just a few year ago I came across his story and Deadwood. Tough guy that he was, he finally met his match on the soft spoken but tough Canadian Seth Bullock. It was the only time he backed away from a fight because he knew he was not the match of the strong but silent law enforcer nicknamed Nanticoke.

images
Do you mean Wild Bill not Wyatt??

Do you mean Wild Bill not Wyatt??

IIRC from my readings, Deadwood was still not formally incorporated as a city and did not have an actual sheriff at the time of Wild Bill's murder. Seth Bullock and Sol Star only arrived there one day before that fateful day. When the murderer was acquitted in the sham trial Bullock took it upon himself to move him to Montana (?) where he got a rightful trial and was hung later on.

images
Wrong. First as sheriff Bullock failed to arrest many killers in Deadwood. To say Earp was crook is a joke. He never set out to be a lawman. In those days people did what they did to get by. He took jobs for money. Many famous bad guys were at times, lawmen. All one had to do is say yes and he became a lawman. There were no white hats and white horses. As fas as "backing down" from Bullock Earp just wanted his job and Bullock was not about to give it up. There was no backing down from a fight.

Wrong. First as sheriff Bullock failed to arrest many killers in Deadwood. To say Earp was crook is a joke. He never set out to be a lawman. In those days people did what they did to get by. He took jobs for money. Many famous bad guys were at times, lawmen. All one had to do is say yes and he became a lawman. There were no white hats and white horses. As fas as "backing down" from Bullock Earp just wanted his job and Bullock was not about to give it up. There was no backing down from a fight.

LOL. I guess Earp must have been your hero.

Bullock's business still exists in Deadwood, SD:

OIP.xKLt1MlPi7mHWf56arnDwAHaEn

Earp forgot to leave his mark there. Must have skipped town real fast.

LOL. I guess Earp must have been your hero.

Bullock's business still exists in Deadwood, SD:

OIP.xKLt1MlPi7mHWf56arnDwAHaEn

Earp forgot to leave his mark there. Must have skipped town real fast.
A business thriving in Deadwood a town known for being Hell on Earth. Much to be proud of. If you were literate of history you would know the reason he left.

Wyatt Earp famously delivered justice the American way—except it’s all a lie, says biographer Andrew Isenberg.

130719-wyatt-earp-isenberg-tease_b1tntq

As a young man, Earp was arrested for horse theft and consorting with prostitutes. He was run out of a Texas town for trying to sell a rock painted yellow as a gold brick. He was drawn to police work not because of a devotion to the law but because, during the Gilded Age when public corruption was rampant, it was an easy source of cash. He went to court in 1896 for having refereed a fixed heavyweight championship prizefight, and as late as 1911, at age 63, he was arrested by the Los Angeles police for running a crooked card game.
You left out he & his brothers were tried for murder after the OK Corral gunfight.

Back