Older People Are Pretty Cool

iu

"The actual Eleanor Rigby was born in 1895, lived in Liverpool and worked as a scullery maid. She was married to a man named Thomas Woods and died on October 10, 1939, at age 44. Due to the inspiration of the song, her tombstone has become a popular landmark for Beatles fans visiting Liverpool".

"The title of this song was composed of actress Eleanor Born's name and the name of a store "Rigby and Evens Ltd Wine and Spirit Shippers". The combination sounded pleasant for Paul McCartney, who mostly wrote this song".

Last edited:
"The actual Eleanor Rigby was born in 1895, lived in Liverpool and worked as a scullery maid. She was married to a man named Thomas Woods and died on October 10, 1939, at age 44. Due to the inspiration of the song, her tombstone has become a popular landmark for Beatles fans visiting Liverpool".

"The title of this song was composed of actress Eleanor Born's name and the name of a store "Rigby and Evens Ltd Wine and Spirit Shippers". The combination sounded pleasant for Paul McCartney, who mostly wrote this song".

So, "Actual Eleanor Rigby" is actually Mrs. Thomas Woods? But in the picture, the gravestone of her husband says his name was John Rigby. So the gravestone is not actual either I take it? Is the photo of her actual? I'm not trying to be difficult lol...just curious.

So, "Actual Eleanor Rigby" is actually Mrs. Thomas Woods? But in the picture, the gravestone of her husband says his name was John Rigby. So the gravestone is not actual either I take it? Is the photo of her actual? I'm not trying to be difficult lol...just curious.
You have to look further down the stone to find Eleanor, wife of Thomas....grand daughter of John.

iu

Last edited:
But her name wasn't Eleanor. The name came from a combo of Eleanor Born and the Rigby Store concocted by Paul McCartney. So the photo is a model...not actually Eleanor Rigby...right?
Growing up, Paul hung out close to the cemetery and Catholic church. He said it was either an amazing coincidence or his sub-conscience at work. He did not know she existed when he wrote the song.
It is about loneliness that older people experience.

Last edited:
The Old Woman… Is Down The Road – A Short Story by Seftimor

"She sits in her dining room chair at the table. The woman is eating dinner. A clock above her head reads 6:00 PM. It is the same time she has eaten for 65 years since she married all those years ago".

"The woman is now 85 years old. Her husband passed away a decade ago. She sits alone now like she does every night. The old woman lost her companion and her best friend. She doesn’t leave the house except for groceries or doctors appointments. The problem is she has to rely on others for those things. She’s never had a driver’s license. Now she sits with no one to talk to, no one to listen or gossip with". (Read More)

816px-Elderly_Woman__BW_image_by_Chalmers_Butterfield.jpg

millwall.jpg
\you can date this photo by looking into the top right hand corner. The phone number starts 01, then three digits followed by four more.
That is Westferry Road and my guess is that the queue is outside a post office. Back then the state pension was paid in cash every Tuesday (I think.) Pensioners had a pension book, about the same size as a cheque book, each coupon could be cashed on the said date.

Back