OMG!!! My son is playing with a doll- G.I. Joe.

My son had the original G.I. Joe and all the goodies that went with it. I spent a fortune on that stuff and he and his friends had a great time playing all sorts of games with them. I gave it to my brother for my nephew after my son outgrew it all, and I learned my sister-in-law tossed it in the trash. She did not want her son playing with war toys at all. I had and unholy fit, for today that all is a collector's item and worth a small fortune.

Incidentally, my nephew grew up to become a member of law enforcement and carries a weapon at all times. Sigh......................

My huzz said when he was about 5 I guess, he was sitting on the floor playing with some little army men, just having a good ol' time, and when his mom came into the room, he wistfully says, "Mom, do you think I'll ever get to fight in a war like Dad and my uncles?" He said she scowled and said, "Oh, don't you worry about it! Of course, there'll be another war by the time you get old enough! There always is!"

My huzz said when he was about 5 I guess, he was sitting on the floor playing with some little army men, just having a good ol' time, and when his mom came into the room, he wistfully says, "Mom, do you think I'll ever get to fight in a war like Dad and my uncles?" He said she scowled and said, "Oh, don't you worry about it! Of course, there'll be another war by the time you get old enough! There always is!"
OMG When I originally read your post, I read (in error) "My huzz said when he was about 51 I guess, he was sitting on the floor playing with some little army men, - - - "

Amazing what a misreading can do ! :D

Oh yeah, we had some Matchbox Cars too. We mostly got those used from the Salvation Army Store that had old and broken donated toys in the basement. Even so, a lot of what was there was too expensive for us.

We played with the cars in the dirt making roads, houses out of sticks and stones... sort of like Sim City or something.

My nephew, who was almost exactly the same age as my granddaughter, loved to play with her baby dolls.

So for his first birthday, I got him a really nice boy baby doll. He loved that thing til he was close to two and lost interest in it. His father wasn't totally happy about the doll but didn't object.

He grew up to be all boy, then all man. It didn't seem to stunt his masculine emotional growth at all.

If you listen to children playing with dolls, you'll hear them working out societal problems via the doll play.

They can make the doll "say" and act like they'd like to be able to express themselves. They can express love and affection without fear of being repulsed. They can "confide" in the doll things they cannot say to a parent or sibling.

I think if boys could play with dolls (and I'm not talking about G.I. Joe or The Incredible Hulk), it would be better for all of us.

Just my opinion....

A friend of mine was very concerned about one of her grandsons because he loved playing with his sister's Barbie Doll. He was about 7 years old and he loved to dress up in her pink ballerina dresses. She thought maybe he could be gay. I told her not to worry as I'm sure he would grow out of it. Well, he did, he is now very keen to be a successful football player and has a girlfriend as well.

I had a GI Joe, some army soldiers that I would use to "play fight" and a Troll Doll, but my favorite was American Building Bricks because I always wanted to be an architect and I could build whole houses from them. And I still turned out gay. Maybe it was the Troll Doll's fault!

My nephew, who was almost exactly the same age as my granddaughter, loved to play with her baby dolls.

So for his first birthday, I got him a really nice boy baby doll. He loved that thing til he was close to two and lost interest in it. His father wasn't totally happy about the doll but didn't object.

He grew up to be all boy, then all man. It didn't seem to stunt his masculine emotional growth at all.

If you listen to children playing with dolls, you'll hear them working out societal problems via the doll play.

They can make the doll "say" and act like they'd like to be able to express themselves. They can express love and affection without fear of being repulsed. They can "confide" in the doll things they cannot say to a parent or sibling.

I think if boys could play with dolls (and I'm not talking about G.I. Joe or The Incredible Hulk), it would be better for all of us.

Just my opinion....
Here's another way of looking at it too. When little girls play with their dolls (I don't know if they still do), we tend to think of it as a first step towards the day when they will eventually be mothering their own babies. Why is it so awful then to think of our own little boys playing with dolls when they are very little and one day becoming daddies?

Having said that, my grandson got a little doll and he played with it for a day and now uses it as a torpedo.............so maybe that means he's not cut out to be a daddy?

I had a GI Joe, some army soldiers that I would use to "play fight" and a Troll Doll, but my favorite was American Building Bricks because I always wanted to be an architect and I could build whole houses from them. And I still turned out gay. Maybe it was the Troll Doll's fault!
I knew there was a problem with those troll dolls😂! Actually, I had a collection of them when I was a kid and liked them better than the baby dolls. Way more fun to play with with their crazy hair and mischievous smirks. I think my grandson has one of them now by the way. Maybe he'll let me play with it!

They weren’t dolls, but I think I played with early versions of “action figures.” I had hundreds of little green army guys made of molded hard rubber, and staged fantastic battles with them…guy stuff! I also had plastic astronauts and space men that you could put helmets on or remove, and some fanciful space aliens. And don’t forget dinosaurs! I had lots of plastic dinosaurs, loved ‘em, and knew all of their names…

IMG_2061.jpeg

When you find ones that are from the 1960s, they can be beaten up and still be worth a few hundred dollars. At the most, Black GI Joe's from the 1960s can sell upwards of $1,000. A few years ago, one boxed Black GI Joe from 1965 sold for $1,207.50.

Back