Only adult in the room

gennie

In dealing with your children, do you sometimes feel that you are still the only adult in the room although you are 75+ and the children are 50+? Do you or should you ever stop feeling that it is 'your room.'

In dealing with your children, do you sometimes feel that you are still the only adult in the room although you are 75+ and the children are 50+? Do you or should you ever stop feeling that it is 'your room.'

Hang in there, it ain't over 'til it's over!

images

Sorry, Poorly worded. By 'your/my room' I mean a time that you are witnessing someone you love doing something childish, stupid or dangerous and you feel like it is your responsibility to try to stop it but you know it is not your job or place to have to or even try to stop it. Where is the line between being supportive and enabling?

Edit: When do you condone and support irresponsible behavior? When is it your place to even know it? When should you be the adult and stop it or when do you say "not my place/problem" and close your eyes?

Last edited:
If it's something really important I say, "I'm only going to mention this once..." then I say what's on my mind and I don't bring it up again. If they are receptive, they'll get it the first time. If not, I'm not going to nag.

Sorry, Poorly worded. By 'your/my room' I mean a time that you are witnessing someone you love doing something childish, stupid or dangerous and you feel like it is your responsibility to try to stop it but you know it is not your job or place to have to or even try to stop it. Where is the line between being supportive and enabling?

Edit: When do you condone and support irresponsible behavior? When is it your place to even know it? When should you be the adult and stop it or when do you say "not my place/problem" and close your eyes?

Go with your gut!

"Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it."- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the explanation.

Sure there are times when I want to (and sometimes do) chime in with advice. It may fall on deaf ears and it may not. Their choice. As a parent, it will never stop being my job to try to watch out for my kids.

Likewise, my children sometimes give me advice. Sometimes I follow it, sometimes I don't, but I always thoughtfully consider it. These are people who want what's best for me, just as I do for them.

We have an understanding with our sons. Don't interfere in their lives and only offer advice when asked.

Included in that understanding if the advice isn't followed no hard feelings. They were raised to think for themselves & be independent. They are & don't ask for money

Back