Our Goal is Cheese!

Meanderer

Supreme Member
funny-hockey-comic-4-2.jpg

The Cheese Poet (LINK)
mcin.png

"James McIntyre was a Scottish-born, Canadian poet who became well known as “The Cheese Poet” due to the fact that he lived in, and wrote about, that area of the country famous for its dairy produce. His work was often met with derision but he was never discouraged from writing, despite a lack of genuine literary talent".

"McIntyre was a popular member of the community and much in demand as a public speaker at social functions and the like. He loved the area and was inspired enough to write about not only the dairy industry but also about the natural beauty of the country. One of his most famous poems is the charming Oxford Cheese Ode". Here are the opening two verses and then the final verse:

4700ce9e0f0342ea8e806f00db3d62d6.png

A poet's hope........🧀
Cheesepoetry_ftr.jpg

“A poet’s hope: to be,
like some valley cheese,
local, but prized elsewhere.”

– W. H. Auden (1907–1973)

Sonnet to a Stilton Cheese

Stilton, thou shouldst be living at this hour
And so thou art. Nor losest grace thereby;
England has need of thee, and so have I–
She is a Fen. Far as the eye can scour,
League after grassy league from Lincoln tower
To Stilton in the fields, she is a Fen.
Yet this high cheese, by choice of fenland men,
Like a tall green volcano rose in power.
Plain living and long drinking are no more,
And pure religion reading “Household Words”,
And sturdy manhood sitting still all day
Shrink, like this cheese that crumbles to its core;
While my digestion, like the House of Lords,
The heaviest burdens on herself doth lay.

– G. K Chesterton (1874-1936)
Gilbert_Chesterton.jpg

Chesterton famously said, “poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

Chesterton on Cheese
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese. Virgil, if I remember right, refers to it several times, but with too much Roman restraint. He does not let himself go on cheese. The only other poet I can think of just now who seems to have had some sensibility on the point was the nameless author of the nursery rhyme which says: “If all the trees were bread and cheese” — which is, indeed a rich and gigantic vision of the higher gluttony. If all the trees were bread and cheese there would be considerable deforestation in any part of England where I was living. Wild and wide woodlands would reel and fade before me as rapidly as they ran after Orpheus".

chestertoncape.jpg

G.K. Chesterton died June 14, 1936.

Last edited:
The Cheese Nuns of Connecticut

The Abbey of Regina Laudis, founded in 1947 in Bethlehem, Connecticut, U.S.A., is a community of contemplative Benedictine women dedicated to the praise of God through prayer and work.

Because the Bethlehem CT cheese is made with the raw milk of our hand-milked cows without the addition of commercial cultures of bacteria or fungi, it provides a model for the study of microbial ecology within a natural environment. When our Community made the decision in 1987 to send four of our members to the University of Connecticut for advanced degrees in agriculture, the biodiversity of cheese-ripening fungi became the basis of Mother Noella Marcellino's doctoral research in Microbiology.

With the aid of a Fulbright Scholarship and a subsequent three-year fellowship from the Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA), she was privileged to travel to six traditional cheese-making regions of France to collect native strains of the yeast-like fungus Geotrichum candidum and to assess its biochemical and genetic diversity in her host laboratory.

https://abbeyofreginalaudis.org/index.html

894-header_image.jpg

Mother Noella on the Science and Spirituality of Cheesemaking
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/mother-noella-on-the-science-and-spirituality-of-cheesemaking/#x

In this web exclusive, Mother Noella, a Benedictine Nun of the Abbey of Regina Laudis, talks with correspondent Mo Rocca about enzymes—the catalyst in the traditional cheesemaking process—and how they relate to the spiritual. You can, she says, find the universe in a microbe.

img_9788.jpg

Last edited:

Back