Our Obsession With Advertising

Packerjohn

Packerjohn
This morning I finished reading a book by Michael Palin called "North Korea Journal". Anyone here from the UK or familiar with Monty Python shows will recognize the name, Michael Palin. Anyway, in the end of the book, as he is leaving North Korea to fly back to China, he writes:

"I've been quite comfortable here. I've appreciated the neatness, tidiness and politieness of those we're met. I've relished the lack of pollution and not for one moment missed the internet, the smartphone or the jarring, screeching, continuously in-your-face advertising of the west".

Now, I'm not here to discuss politics but I would like your reaction to advertising. Where I live we are "swamped" with massive advertising. It's on cable TV relentlessly, you get it in your mailboxes, the streets are so full of it that I often find it difficult to find the small street signs, the stores are often shouting at you to buy something, the cheap hamburger restaurants have TVs all over their walls with all sorts of advertising, the benches where you wait for buses are full of advertising something or other, the highways have advertising signs that spoil your enjoyment of nature, go to movie you pay for & you have to sit & watch that stupid white bear drinking that Coca-cola that is bad for your health & log on to Face-book & there you are..... more adds for junk you don't need. In the last few years there is a new form of advertising. In the city where I live, nearly all the trucks & cars that have any kind of business are driving around with large advertising signs telling us about their business with a phone number & their websites. It's like there is no more quality of life anymore. Every thing seems to be geared to get every last penny out of the gutless consumer one way or another. It seems everyone accepts this but do you? We talk about climate change & we hear that our land fills are getting full & we are sending our garbage over to Asia but still we shop until we drop, get ourselves up again & again shop until we drop. Have you ever thought that enough is enough when it comes to advertising? This is me talking to you. Me who cut the cable TV 16 years ago because he didn't like the demeaning advertising. What do you think? PS: Don't mean to rant & rave so much but most people in the know call the overload of advertising signs Visual Pollution. There is, of course, noise pollution that we often complaint about in some of the stores/restaurants but visual pollution in cities is a problem because it could conflict with safe driving.

Last edited:
I hate all of it and it is getting worse day by day. Particularly junk mail. I think more than 1/4 of our recyclables is junk mail.
I don't think I've ever bought anything because of the advertisements that come in our mail. They also pack advertisements along with our bills. Yesterday it took me forever to separate our phone bill from the advertisements.

One of the "side effects" of all this advertising is the costs which are almost always passed along to the consumer, when they buy the product. One of the reasons why prescription drugs cost substantially more here, than in the rest of the world, are these endless "Ask Your Doctor" tv ads....which by most estimates vary between 7 to 10 billion dollars per year....which the users of these drugs wind up paying.

A couple of years ago, I started keeping track of how much time the commercials occupied while watching TV....especially the evening network news broadcasts. After several weeks, the numbers showed that the average 30 minute news broadcast had 13 minutes of commercials.

The advertising that I object to most is the advertising that is embedded in the news and various television programs as content.

I read once that Martha Stewart and her advertising agencies made this lucrative type of advertising popular by using and referencing various appliances, products, books, etc... while doing segments on recipes, DIY, personal grooming, pet care, etc...

I see this type of thing on the morning news magazine shows where they will do a feature on a particular issue and then just happen to mention that it will be covered on an upcoming episode of 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, Dateline, etc...

What do I think? I think you need to find another town to live in, get a computer with an operating system that doesn't tie in with major advertising garbage software, and watch commercial-free, Roku TV, like I do.

What do I think? I think you need to find another town to live in, get a computer with an operating system that doesn't tie in with major advertising garbage software, and watch commercial-free, Roku TV, like I do.
I have cut the cable over 16 years ago & have been watching ROKU TV for almost 5 years now. Love Acorn TV & now we have subscribed to Britbox. Love them: subtitles & absolutely no advertising. Couldn't go back to cable if they gave it to me for free............ which they should because of the massive brain washing advertising. With the computer I use Microsoft & Windows 10. Bad mistake. It wouldn't happen again. You live & you should learn. Moving away doesn't help as I have left the big city & love living here in our small town of 2,500. Here you don't live with massive advertising. Better for my heart & my nerves.

I have cut the cable over 16 years ago & have been watching ROKU TV for almost 5 years now. Love Acorn TV & now we have subscribed to Britbox. Love them: subtitles & absolutely no advertising. Couldn't go back to cable if they gave it to me for free............ which they should because of the massive brain washing advertising. With the computer I use Microsoft & Windows 10. Bad mistake. It wouldn't happen again. You live & you should learn. Moving away doesn't help as I have left the big city & love living here in our small town of 2,500. Here you don't live with massive advertising. Better for my heart & my nerves.
I'm really confused: From your original post: "Where I live we are "swamped" with massive advertising. It's on cable TV relentlessly, you get it in your mailboxes, the streets are so full of it that I often find it difficult to find the small street signs, the stores are often shouting at you to buy something, the cheap hamburger restaurants have TVs all over their walls with all sorts of advertising, the benches where you wait for buses are full of advertising something or other, the highways have advertising signs that spoil....etc.,etc."

Then, from your last post: "Moving away doesn't help as I have left the big city & love living here in our small town of 2,500. Here you don't live with massive advertising. Better for my heart & my nerves...."

So, which is it? I only recommended you move because of your op! Is your present city free of massive advertising or does it have massive advertising, that you cited in your op. You can't have it both ways!

Last edited:
I'm really confused: From your original post: "Where I live we are "swamped" with massive advertising. It's on cable TV relentlessly, you get it in your mailboxes, the streets are so full of it that I often find it difficult to find the small street signs, the stores are often shouting at you to buy something, the cheap hamburger restaurants have TVs all over their walls with all sorts of advertising, the benches where you wait for buses are full of advertising something or other, the highways have advertising signs that spoil....etc.,etc."

Then, from your last post: "Moving away doesn't help as I have left the big city & love living here in our small town of 2,500. Here you don't live with massive advertising. Better for my heart & my nerves...."

So, which is it? I only recommended you move because of your op! Is your present city free of massive advertising or does it have massive advertising, that you cited in your op. You can't have it both ways!
Massive advertising is in the big city. I live about 9 km/5 miles from the perimeter. Must go there nearly weekly because of medical issues for me & spouse. Advertising issues is fortunately resolved when we leave the city. Out my window I see a church & a farm field. What a joy!

Most of my T.V. watching is now ad free. Periodically I'll get something in the mailbox advertising a better phone plan or something. The most annoying thing I've noticed is that every other page of the Architectural Digest I subscribed too (it was a freebie) has an advertisement. I noticed that with another magazine I got the same deal with year before last. I decided that I will not subscribe again...even if they are free.

Back