Ovens. To clean constantly, or not to use, that is the question

Denise1952

I use my oven a lot, but what dirties it the most is roasting my beloved, crispy vegetables. Especially reaching the ceiling of the oven is hardest, but I've learned that if I don't clean it often, it builds up so fast, into something like road-tar. Some of it would never come out as this is an apartment, and wasn't cleaned well by previous tenant. Then it totally fizzled out and I have a brand new one.

I clean my oven with vinegar and baking soda. Can't handle the chemicals. It is a self-cleaning but I don't want to use that at all. But I either have to find a good, long-handled tool to clean with, so I can reach easier, or not use my oven. I don't think the latter is really going to be an option for me.

Has anyone else found a good way to either keep your oven clean while still getting those yummy roasted vegies, or, something to help me clean it out more easily?

I did search Amazon, and Walmart but only found bathroom, long-handled type brushes (battery powered). I could use one of those, but not sure how stiff the brushes are and just want something gentle for oven.

Any help appreciated, Denise

PS I do use a slow-cooker for as many things as possible, or chicken/turkey I use the oven-bags. I bake my fish in foil, etc.

Camper!! Yes, the oven-door does come off as I watched them put it on. I can't remember how they did it but I will look at the manual. Thank you, never even though about that, geesh!

Still like to find a long-handled cleaner that runs on battery too, just to help me with the "ceiling" of the oven ;) I've been wanting a drill, and they have attachments for those sort of jobs I think too ;)

Be careful if you DO use the self-cleaning function. I didn't get all the stuff off the oven floor that had run over the side of a casserole and it caught on fire during the self-cleaning function. Unfortunately, the oven door automatically locks during the cycle and won't unlock until the temperature goes down. So here I can see the fire blazing merrily through the oven door window and can't do anything about it.

On hindsight, I probably could have pulled the stove out and unplugged it.....maybe that would have overridden the door lock. On the other hand, did I want to pull out a blazing stove?

So I had to just let it burn itself out, smoke alarms screeching away, windows open, me in hysterics.

I've used the self-clean function several times since then, but I'm very careful to make sure there is no combustible stuff on the oven floor.

Hi Denise! ... I've got a new Whirlpool stove/oven in my apartment, and to this point have not had to clean it. Use the oven very little.
So no other ideas than what's mentioned above.

My question ... I fully understand the concern about self-cleaning. ... (not to mention the toxins emitted that linger.)
Where are the regulators when these appliances are made? I just don't get the fact that manufacturers put the feature on ovens, and charge more for it!, knowing full well that it can burn out the unit if used.

Be careful if you DO use the self-cleaning function. I didn't get all the stuff off the oven floor that had run over the side of a casserole and it caught on fire during the self-cleaning function. Unfortunately, the oven door automatically locks during the cycle and won't unlock until the temperature goes down. So here I can see the fire blazing merrily through the oven door window and can't do anything about it.

On hindsight, I probably could have pulled the stove out and unplugged it.....maybe that would have overridden the door lock. On the other hand, did I want to pull out a blazing stove?

So I had to just let it burn itself out, smoke alarms screeching away, windows open, me in hysterics.

I've used the self-clean function several times since then, but I'm very careful to make sure there is no combustible stuff on the oven floor.

Thanks for the heads up Jujube, I've read a lot of negatives about the self-cleaning, that's why I want to avoid it. Glad you didn't get that door open, but how scarey that must have been

Hi Denise! ... I've got a new Whirlpool stove/oven in my apartment, and to this point have not had to clean it. Use the oven very little.
So no other ideas than what's mentioned above.

My question ... I fully understand the concern about self-cleaning. Where are the regulators when these appliances are made? I just don't get the fact that manufacturers put the feature on ovens, and charge more for it!, knowing full well that it can burn out the unit if used.

Hi Bonnie, this oven gets so hot on the temps I "use" to use, that I have to make sure to set it lower. I just think we're on our own getting to know all we can about appliances, and everything we buy. Even the manuals are lacking in information, extremely lacking :(

I don't think taking the door off is going to be an option for me either. Just too hard, and heavy. I even checked out some reviews on those Air Fryers and many were pretty negative. I thought an oven got dirty "only" from spills and splatters (never have been very domestic) but read that the steam from cooking is what is accumulating into that hard crusty crud.

I wonder if there isn't some sort of small appliance that would roast your veggies that wouldn't be as hard to clean as the big oven. Buying one would probably be cheaper in the long run considering time and cleaning supplies for the big oven. I have a large toaster oven that broils. Easy to clean. Just read all the reviews and ask around.

I wonder if there isn't some sort of small appliance that would roast your veggies that wouldn't be as hard to clean as the big oven. Buying one would probably be cheaper in the long run considering time and cleaning supplies for the big oven. I have a large toaster oven that broils. Easy to clean. Just read all the reviews and ask around.

Now that's an idea I didn't think of yet. Just like a mini-oven!! I'll check some out and thank you much Ruth :)

I use a countertop oven (Breville) more than my regular ovens these days.

I used to have one at the house I sold. It was my 'go to' every evening for making meals for my husband. With temps reaching 100 around here in the summer, my double oven wall unit would heat up the house too much!

But alas, the countertop oven went the way of most household items when I sold the house and moved.
Time to get a new one for my apartment! Thanks for jarring my brain CM ... they come in so handy. :)

​Mine is self cleaning. Because I have a convection oven, and a hot air cooker, I actually use my main oven once a year...Thanksgiving. So, I am not sure the last time I cleaned it. But I do scrub down the stove top often.

The last time I used my oven was Easter.

I have an inexpensive Oster convection toaster oven that I purchased from Walmart for approx. $50.00.

I use it a couple of times a day, I wipe it out and clean the inserts about once a week.

I intentionally bought an inexpensive model because I've never seen a toaster oven that does not eventually become disgusting, when that time comes I'll replace it.

​Mine is self cleaning. Because I have a convection oven, and a hot air cooker, I actually use my main oven once a year...Thanksgiving. So, I am not sure the last time I cleaned it. But I do scrub down the stove top often.

Sounds good Marie, and a used to have a room-mate that did the cooking, and I'd do the clean-up. She taught me, and got me in the habit God bless her, to clean the stove top every time. Including lifting the burners out and cleaning those and under the top ;) Good habits/routines pay off don't they ;)

The last time I used my oven was Easter.

I have an inexpensive Oster convection toaster oven that I purchased from Walmart for approx. $50.00.

I use it a couple of times a day, I wipe it out and clean the inserts about once a week.

I intentionally bought an inexpensive model because I've never seen a toaster oven that does not eventually become disgusting, when that time comes I'll replace it.
Yes, things can take me awhile to figure out, lol, but still learning new ways at 66. I am going for some type of Toaster Oven, or I guess they're called "convection", and that is so smart as I read you gals replies. I live alone, there is no reason for me to dirty that huge oven for one person!!

I hope I can find one that will cook and brown my vegies :playful: and reheat my freezer meals I save, like roasts, chicken, etc ;) Sure am grateful for all the input I'm getting ;)

Toaster Oven, that's a great idea for us also. It get's way to hot here in the summer to use the oven, but a toaster oven sounds like the ticket for us. Thanks all for the tip, I've never thought about trying that before. :encouragement:

The new countertop/convection ovens do everything. .... bake, roast, broil, grill, along with toasting, warming, etc.
The one that I just ordered has enough room to make a 13" pizza.

Hi ladies, I don't think any fellers replied, but if so, good morning to you too ;)

I am shopping (online) today, and checking out the different counter-top ovens. What I really what first and foremost, is one I can roast my vegies in. The only other thing I need the oven for is things like roasts, and whole chickens, or foods I can wrap in foil to cook like trout, etc.

I see the prices go from around 250.00 (maybe more) and I know there are some for around 50.00 some of you mentioned. My budget is definitely 50 to 100, and be thrilled to find one near the lower that can roast diced vegies, sometimes I like them larger. I can't think right now, what else I might use the conventional for, well, maybe anything else small that I would not want to wrap in foil to cook :confused:

Any suggestions on brands or exact types? I see digitals, etc. I guess I want to find out what you like about yours, pros and cons etc. Reviews!! That's what I need, and I sure would rather listen to yours than get a "paid" one from Amazon :)

Ok, I went ahead and picked one to get your opinions on. I can see if I want one I'm going to have to pay more than I thought, but this one is in the 60 dollar range at least:
https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Counte...top+ovens&qid=1559403544&s=home-garden&sr=1-8

The new countertop/convection ovens do everything. .... bake, roast, broil, grill, along with toasting, warming, etc.
The one that I just ordered has enough room to make a 13" pizza.

Hi Bonne, the one I just posted is pretty big! One I looked at for around 40 bucks, was smaller than a bread-box ;) Yes, those are all features I want, that you have! The Oster seems to have all I need, but the price surprises me. It can't be too flimsy if it can bake at 400 some degrees:confused:

Toaster Oven, that's a great idea for us also. It get's way to hot here in the summer to use the oven, but a toaster oven sounds like the ticket for us. Thanks all for the tip, I've never thought about trying that before. :encouragement:

I hadn't either Davey, but glad I am finding out now. I about killed myself every time I had to clean that darned oven. Amazing how food for one person can dirty an oven :upset:

Hi Bonne, the one I just posted is pretty big! One I looked at for around 40 bucks, was smaller than a bread-box ;) Yes, those are all features I want, that you have! The Oster seems to have all I need, but the price surprises me. It can't be too flimsy if it can bake at 400 some degrees:confused:

I probably spent too much, although I got $40 cash back w/Amazon card. :)
The new one I have coming ... https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001L5TVGW

They advise precautions w/foil in the ovens. Parchment Paper is a good alternative.. it's safe to 420.. works for roasting vegetables and all baking.

Denise--I'm not familiar with the Oster, but that is usually a dependable brand. It has good reviews, too. I'm sure it will get the job done as far as roasting your veggies.

I use my Breville several times a week; my full-size ovens hardly ever get used anymore except for around the holidays.

I've heard Breville is a high quality brand.

I've considered a toaster oven, but I don't use my oven all that much and when I do, I would rather have the room to make more to freeze for another time.

I have a toaster oven but I was told to think of it as a disposable .

When I need to clean it. I take it outside and use oven cleaner and leave it out overnight.

Wipe it clean with paper towels. Use a spray bottle of water to rinse.

Never use my stove oven. Not working. Use it for storage. Not worth fixing for one person.

Back