Overloaded Deck Collapses On California Beach

WhatInThe

An over loaded deck collapsed when over a dozen party goers were on a small residential deck attached to a home on a California beach.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/balcony-collapse-sends-people-plummeting-15-feet-rocky/story?id=77585097

No one killed. The home now being assessed for safety. Participant said 10 people on deck but you can count more than that in the photos/videos. Officials said there could've been structural integrity issues along with being overloaded being a residential deck.

The home where the deck collapsed was rented and the landlord said they told the renters no more than 6 people in the house or in the property.

https://www.insideedition.com/homeo...hurt-in-deck-collapse-broke-6-person-capacity

The lease also said no parties or events. The owners has video of all the alcohol bottles left behind.

I get wanting to have a party but to rent a house for one? Several years ago when Air BB cameout I think they problems with house parties in Florida but after it hit the news I thought they cracked down on entertainers. Some people have to accept the fact that they live in a small house and/or apartment and realize there are certain things they won't be able to do.

Makes me wonder just how well engineered the deck was.

Seems awfully shoddy to have a deck with a max capacity of 6 people at any given time on it.

Makes me wonder just how well engineered the deck was.

Seems awfully shoddy to have a deck with a max capacity of 6 people at any given time on it.
The house was limited to 6 people at once I guess to disincentivize partying since it's against the contract. I think fire rescue said the deck was compromised and over loaded because it was considered a residential deck.

I did notice the wood had little color which usual means it's dry or one the verge of dry rot. They say the fasteners ie screws/nails etc tend to fail first which then creates movement then a collapse.

Being rented and they were violating the rules it's unclear who will eventually pay for this party.

I’m sure there‘ll be lots of lawsuits happening, including against the owner.
Would they have a solid case though? The renters violated the contract by having the party in the first place then having more people on the deck than was stipulated. The owner may have a case. It's a good thing nobody was killed.

Not that any of those fools were engineers but I have to shake my head seeing all those people gathered on a small area. Didn't anyone think to question how smart this was?
Another case of not me syndrome. Nothing can go wrong nor will they do anything wrong.

Im still working on renting a HOUSE to throw a party, a freaking party. They can drink beer and get high anywhere. But rent a house? Rent a hotel pool and set of rooms or wing.

Also a legit victim but a lousy witness said there were only 10 people on the deck

The renter is subject to all lawsuits in most states.
I guess all parties will wind up being sued. The insurance company will have to pay but they might try to get reimbursed. The owners will sue the renters. The renters will sue the owner. An antendee/victim or two might even sue the renter/host of the party. Unless somebody is really rich here insurance companies will wind up paying for it all.

I guess all parties will wind up being sued. The insurance company will have to pay but they might try to get reimbursed. The owners will sue the renters. The renters will sue the owner. An antendee/victim or two might even sue the renter/host of the party. Unless somebody is really rich here insurance companies will wind up paying for it all.
We‘d better add the company that built the deck to the lawsuit.

A year from now I’d love to see who was sued and what the results were.

(I sure made a lot of typos that I had to fix.)

Last edited:
We‘s better add the company that built the deck to the lawsuit.

A year from now I’d love to see who were suited and what the results were.
Have to wonder how far back they can go and if it was permitted/legal deck that passed inspection over a decade ago let's say there might not be a way to sue the contractors.

Read about a collapse in the same town in the 90s and that one had just passed an inspection. Problem is the salt air starts eating away on things like steel beams in the deck might be attached to or metal fasteners ie screws, bolts, nails etc..

You figure if the person is permitted to rent there would a yearly inspection since it's a business.

This happened at a party my grandson went to a couple of years ago. We were a few blocks away at my sister`s and heard all the sirens but,of course,had no idea what had happened. I can`t remember now how many kids were on the deck(there were quite a few) but none suffered anything more than bumps,bruises and scratches. My grandson had all of the above. Very scary.

Back