Oz Life - where I live and more!

gumbud

just had an idea after eating some canny cookies! it would be nice for me at least to hear about were others live; how and why?

I live way way up north in OZ - west oz to be precise in an area that we call 'the top end' and which stretches from the far west - our place to the far east - their place - queensland to be precise.

Up here we only have two seasons - the dry and the wet - right now it is dry [winter] best weather with very cold 14C mornings and not so hot 30 C middays but no rain for a few more months until the rainy season and the cyclone season too.

I live in a small outback town called Derby - pronounced derby and NOT darby - of 9,000 souls approx probably 50-50 of black and white - yes we still can use black and white at least locally. I have worked with Aborigines all my working life out here - live with them and among them ; party with them and bury them sometimes!

We have one WW store and one IGA store and then a smattering of useful businesses from garages to haberdashery - enough to survive on. I live on an 8 acre block with my own flock of kangaroos who don't believe they belong to me - 4 dogs who can never catch a kangaroo and one cat. We have a main house and one granny flat where you can stay with us - BUT it is full at the moment with rellies NO not wellies - rellies!

I have been to CA once so I know what you all look like and driven down what my BIL calls Ho Chi Min avenue in downtown Richmond! I have also crossed chopsticks in their amazing Chinese emporium.

Our main hobbies here are fishing [we live on the coast I think?] - footie watching of course [that is AFL not soccer] and hunting bush tucker - in season!

Your turn now - oz oz ozzie cum on!

yes got pics but being new here have to work out how to upload - any simple instructions??

Yes. See the square window beside the globes to the right ..............^^
Click that and a square will open up asking where you’d like your pics to come from. There’s a button you press called ‘ ‘computer’ . Pressing that brings up your own photo library. Choose your photo and just under that tab is another tab that uploads them here to the site. Remember that they have to be a certain size so you may want to copy them before cropping. I usually go with the ‘advanced’ option.

I want to see pics of your kangaroos and 4 dogs
please. :grin:

first I'm not a fishing buff - but our major river is the mighty Fitzroy but it seems to be quite muddy and has crocs in it too - but I think they do fish salmon from there?

ps: how's the floods at the moment??

Interesting to hear about you and OZ, Gumbud. Wish you could post some photos. Keep trying.

Crocs in the waters with salmon? You've got some scary critters down there I've heard. You're a brave people!:)

nZcdGPn.jpg

Last edited:
bugger all the kangas have disappeared - they were there a minute ago? Snakes - well they don't do chorus shows if that's what ya mean - often come out at night and if you go out without any lighting you can step on them . Dogs coming up next!

bugger all the kangas have disappeared - they were there a minute ago? Snakes - well they don't do chorus shows if that's what ya mean - often come out at night and if you go out without any lighting you can step on them . Dogs coming up next!

Glad you got the pic thing in hand.
Imgur?

Z

couldn't get my herd of kangas - it's winter know around these parts and they are hibernating deep in the bush - so here's a few from the east were it is warmer!

kangas.jpg
Z

Z

Z

Back