Parents caught in school entrance bribery cases.

treeguy64

Hari Om, y'all!
This whole fiasco has disgusted me. I find it outrageous that these parents did what they did. Further, how gullible is the public at large to believe these parents when they say their kids knew nothing about the scam?

I can vividly remember my high school years. I had a very good idea, based on the type of student I was, what my college entrance exam scores would be. Can anyone honestly believe that a student who conned his/her way through high school, doing the bare minimum, getting barely passing grades, would score in the top quadrant on the college boards, and not have, at least, an inkling that something was very fishy?

Also, are we to believe that a student who never played a sport, in high school, would simply accept that he/she was admitted to a major college, on a sports scholarship, and not have a clue, again, that something was "strange?"

I guess if the children of the rich and famous are intellectually one-off, the above might, in fact, be possible, but I would give that the same chance as a snowball in hell!

While I'm on the subject: What good is it to send these conniving millionaire/billionaire parents to prison? Why is this country so prison-obsessed?

I think it would be a far better sentence to have these scammers ordered to fund economically disadvantaged students, with full-ride scholarships, for their complete college programs, and to lecture to parents on the importance of being involved with your high school students' academic programs before they get in trouble, and need help getting into college.

I was a school uniform supplier for many years so I'm well familiar with parents who believed that the rules didn't - or shouldn't - apply to them or their precious progeny. They openly bragged and gloated about how they managed to defeat and skirt around various school rules, including uniform codes. My response was to shrug and remark that the natural consequence of training one's children to lie and cheat is that if they'll do it with you, they'll eventually do it to you.

Like Treeguy, I believe these kids had to know that they hadn't earned their way into these schools. In addition, parents don't engage in this level of intricate cheating behavior as a one-off. It's a lifetime pattern of entitlement and believing themselves to be above the rules and beyond the reach of consequences, which they teach their children both directly and by example. Make no mistake - these families aren't remorseful that they cheated - they're regretful that they got caught and pissed off that they're being prosecuted.

I understand what you mean about not sending them to prison, but would even a $1 million dollar fine affect Lori Loughlin and her husband, who have an estimated combined net worth over $100 million? Prison time will get their attention while treating them the same as society's other rule breakers.

I understand what you mean about not sending them to prison, but would even a $1 million dollar fine affect Lori Loughlin and her husband, who have an estimated combined net worth over $100 million? Prison time will get their attention while treating them the same as society's other rule breakers.

Then, there's that, too.

I agree with StarSong - I think most will get some jail time depending on the specifics of their individual cases.

I was listening to someone the other night on the news (forgot who) and they said any lawyer in his/her right mind is telling Lori Loughlin to take the deal...plead out even though it means some jail time. Trial? Pffft. :rolleyes:

This whole fiasco has disgusted me. I find it outrageous that these parents did what they did. Further, how gullible is the public at large to believe these parents when they say their kids knew nothing about the scam?

I can vividly remember my high school years. I had a very good idea, based on the type of student I was, what my college entrance exam scores would be. Can anyone honestly believe that a student who conned his/her way through high school, doing the bare minimum, getting barely passing grades, would score in the top quadrant on the college boards, and not have, at least, an inkling that something was very fishy?

Also, are we to believe that a student who never played a sport, in high school, would simply accept that he/she was admitted to a major college, on a sports scholarship, and not have a clue, again, that something was "strange?"

I guess if the children of the rich and famous are intellectually one-off, the above might, in fact, be possible, but I would give that the same chance as a snowball in hell!

While I'm on the subject: What good is it to send these conniving millionaire/billionaire parents to prison? Why is this country so prison-obsessed?

I think it would be a far better sentence to have these scammers ordered to fund economically disadvantaged students, with full-ride scholarships, for their complete college programs, and to lecture to parents on the importance of being involved with your high school students' academic programs before they get in trouble, and need help getting into college.

Of course the kids knew!! I imagine kids of the rich and famous are so used to special privileges and "getting over" in general that they just thought this was somehow owed to them.

I agree, there were legitimate students who lost spots to these fake tested and bribed in students and that is beyond unfair. They should have a scholarship fund that these parents have to pay at the Universities for a set amount of students for a set amount of years as Full paid 4 year scholarships for students. Some of these Universities are quite expensive that these bribed there kids into and if they had to do these for the next 20 to 25 years that for say 5 students that would be quite costly.

Back