People adverse to talking about money

What I find rather odd is that people seem uncomfortable talking about money, but seem quite open about their sexual preferences and practices. To me, that is backward.

If people could talk about money, we could learn from each other and maybe those who think they need to keep up with the Joneses (had anybody actually met these "Joneses"?), might learn that there are people who treat their money more carefully. I learned a lot from the first group of people who bought into our condo association about managing money and saving for retirement. In hindsight now that I am successfully retired, I consider that a distinct advantage many in my generation apparently either didn't have or didn't avail themselves of.

I couldn't care less what somebody else's sex life and tastes are, and certainly don't want to see parades dedicated to telling the world all about it.

Anyway, talking about money, there is always a song involved...

Edit: I should add in the interests of clarity, that there is a very large difference between bragging about money and having a rational, intelligent discussion in which real and practical information is exchanged.

Tony
I agree with your opinions about discussing money matters Tony. There is a big difference between bragging about what you have and benefiting from each other's experiences whether it be investing or wise spending habits.

One last thing here........no matter what people can think of lots of money, or very little, money sure can make life much, much better. Just ask a Senior that can hardly afford their heart meds or other kinds of important meds. Ask those Seniors who would love to live in an Assisted Living area, but can't afford it. As we grow older, and our health may decline, money sure can help.

I agree with your opinions about discussing money matters Tony. There is a big difference between bragging about what you have and benefiting from each other's experiences whether it be investing or wise spending habits.

Like I've already stated, "bragging doesn't have to be done if folks can see what a person has or knows what they've done." IOW, nice house, nice vehicle, perhaps a nice motorhome, being able to travel whenever and the things go on and on.

Like I've already stated, "bragging doesn't have to be done if folks can see what a person has or knows what they've done." IOW, nice house, nice vehicle, perhaps a nice motorhome, being able to travel whenever and the things go on and on.
There are people who don't have fancy homes, cars, motor homes, etc. and are living quite modestly but are very well off. So that stuff is not necessarily an indicator of how much money one has. Some people who have all that stuff are in debt up to their ears. I think some people brag to cover up their insecurities.

There is a person on another forum who likes to flaunt what he has accumulated in wealth. "Look at Me....look what I have!" It won't do him any good in the end where we all eventually end up.

This is why many younger Seniors like to spend money with having fun. Especially those that don't have kids to leave anything to. One of the spouses, do want to make sure their is some money left for the living spouse, but other than that, just the "final expenses" are thought about.

IOW, "can't take it with you" is the old saying.

‘Myself, I've never been impressed by those who openly brag of their wealth or possessions. It's shallow IMO.

The ones that earn my admiration are those who are quiet, unassuming, and humble, yet have a bankroll larger than life.’
I can’t stand people that brag, or ask how much things cost, and never discuss my own or other people’s finances, (or sexual preferences and practices for that matter) ! it’s private business as far as I’m concerned

I’m not interested in what they own either, all I care about, Prince or pauper, is what is in their heart

There are people who don't have fancy homes, cars, motor homes, etc. and are living quite modestly but are very well off. So that stuff is not necessarily an indicator of how much money one has. Some people who have all that stuff are in debt up to their ears. I think some people brag to cover up their insecurities.
There is a difference between the words "fancy" and "nice"......just to let you know. And, there are those that don't mind being in debt. They aren't "insecure", they simply like to have fun and "fun" costs money. I have an old high school classmate, who, her and her husband sold their nice house in Florida and bought a very nice motorhome. No payments at all. They would travel everywhere in the motorhome.

Being in debt can definitely be related to the word "fun". Being in debt also comes with boat, house and vehicle repairs.

Last edited:
It's so varied I guess. I have found in the work place, not to say a word. I don't talk to any acquittance or co-worker about my finances. Some people may be comfortable financially but no realize other's don't have the security they may have from a pension for example. I have a family member who has a government pension. They don't understand that working in the private sector doesn't have the security they had. They also haven't worked in well over 30 years. I applied for some jobs that may have given me a pension. I never got them. So I work for a private corporation.

Why are people so reticent to talk about personal finances, even among friends?
Talking about personal wealth as a thread is different than discussions about investing or threads like are you frugal. Just not something that people normally do.

I was taught that there are 2 things you never speak of. Your sex life and your finances. Because the more you speak of them, the less those who hear you think you have of them.
🤑

Back