People Are Not Themselves During This Pandemic: Have You Felt Offended or Outraged by Them?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
I have encountered people who just have not been themselves at all during this pandemic. I made a decision to try to understand them instead of getting myself really upset about it. The manager of the place I live seemed to be accusing me of something I did not do and I was starting to get mad but realized how much stress this person is under with the job plus the pandemic on top of it. There have been others too who have not acted exactly cordial to me, to say the least. For me, it feels better to just excuse them rather than accuse. How about you, have you run into others during this pandemic who were acting much differently than usual?

Not individuals but people as a whole. Where I live, the local people are very friendly and complete strangers greet each other in the street. That isn't happening now, everyone is giving everyone else a wide berth.
That's good that it's that way where you are!

My mom is picking fights and getting vocal with everyone. She's a senior, senior and I'm afraid for her and always having to entertain her and distract her and prevent her from saying or doing something that could get us both killed, especially when I'm driving. I'm half nuts from all this and want to be left alone which is so unlike me. Yeah, where I live covid numbers are low but the restrictions are so tight people are turning into mental cases before my eyes. We can't go much of anywhere or do much of anything. Any of us. I can't help them. I can barely help myself which is awful.

I see it online, but not within my geographically near and far friends and relatives, or my neighborhood. If anything, people seem friendlier, more polite, and respectful of each other's personal space.

Most ask how the other is doing, is everything ok, what's going on, etc., in a way that telegraphs that it's a sincere question, not a social gesture. People really, really care about the answers.

And the responses aren't just, "Fine," although that is often the essence. I hear (and say) things like, "You know what, I'm doing ok. Went to the grocery store the other day, have been out walking nearly every day, the dogs love having me around all the time, the kids are getting restless but coping with the help of sidewalk chalk, little surprises that get delivered via UPS and the Disney Channel, we're knocking things off the honey-do list, gee I wish the heat would break." That kind of thing.

I'm sorry for people who are struggling to cope or are lashing out, and for those who are subjected to that behavior. It must be very stressful.

Where I am, my neighbors, people in the neighborhood or parks, or in the stores seem to be extra caring and friendly. I guess we never know any individual's struggles or stresses during the COVID-19, they may be having health, family or financial troubles that have gotten worse during the pandemic. Some people who were a bit snippy to begin with, may really get nasty now with the life disturbances and restrictions for the virus.

Ruth, I'm sorry people by you are acting like that. I grew up in an apartment and have lived in apartments with my husband before we got married and bought our first house. Just being so close to others in an apartment setting, to me anyway, can be much more annoying than when you're in separate houses with yards. In apartments, other tenants behavior and noises affect you personally sometimes, and folks tend to move in and out more.

You're smart to excuse them for the way they are acting with you. Please don't take it personally and let it get to you. Hopefully some day, this all will just be a bad memory and unique experience for all of us. Hang in there....hugs. šŸ§”

Not much as changed in the rural area we live in. There have been minimal cases of this CV in the area, and perhaps the biggest "inconvenience" is the wearing of masks at most of the stores. The local people are still friendly, and courteous to each other. The larger cities, however, seem to be a different story....and I think this CV issue is a major contributor to all the protests and riots going on....using BLM as an "excuse" to vent increasing frustrations.

People in general in our area are still friendly if stressed. I've certainly noticed a change online. My biggest issue has been with my brother who is disdainful of people who wear masks and isn't careful around my parents ...but part of that is their choice because they don't want to isolate from his kids.

My mother is going through a medical crisis right now and is angry at her doctors when they don't tell her what she wants to hear. I've had to call and apologize to two different practices, hoping that she isn't burning bridges behind her with the doctors' offices. I think it's a combination of the overall frustration with life in general during Covic and frustration with her medical situation.

Me? Fine except that I hate everybody. I hate TV commercials. I hate the squirrels and chipmunks in the back yard, and I positively loathe the leaf rollers that won't leave my cannas alone. I hate traffic. I hate those people in the grocery store who have the unmitigated gall to get too close to me. I hate the letter carrier for being here too early before I can get something in the mailbox to be picked up. I hate the letter carrier for getting here so late in the day. I hate waiting for anything, even responses from the web that happen in nano-seconds. I hate the heat. I hate the rain. I hate the music the local HD classical music station programs. I hate having to take time out of my *busy* day to carry out the trash or even to feed Maggiecat. I hate making the bed.

Except for all of the above. I'm fine and actually much better since I deleted my FB account. Thanks for asking :ROFLMAO:

I havenā€™t noticed much difference overall.I'm doing my part to combat it by expressing appreciation to folks who are helpful to me, more individualized than a just plain thank you, like, I had to have some xrays done (catching up on arth care) and complimented the tech On carefully positioning me instead of just jerking limbs around like most, and a Pharm tech who spontaneously came out from behind the counter to help me find something. Both were very appreciative of being singled out.
Iā€™ve only being outraged twice. Once at the stupid Kroger/Smith store I was going to. They have been off and on about using separate doors for entrance & exit so I entered the closest which had no sign. Then a clerk actually Yelled at me, for using wrong door. Never going back there.
Then BCBS ā€œnonā€ customer service: wanted to simply find out a copay and a female with some kind of thick accent was going into a canned spell about referrals & authorizations. Tues am going to find someone local & complain.

My mother is going through a medical crisis right now and is angry at her doctors when they don't tell her what she wants to hear. I've had to call and apologize to two different practices, hoping that she isn't burning bridges behind her with the doctors' offices. I think it's a combination of the overall frustration with life in general during Covic and frustration with her medical situation.
That's wonderful that you have called the doctors because of how she's been. It is even more hard on some than others, this pandemic.

My mom is picking fights and getting vocal with everyone. She's a senior, senior and I'm afraid for her and always having to entertain her and distract her and prevent her from saying or doing something that could get us both killed, especially when I'm driving. I'm half nuts from all this and want to be left alone which is so unlike me. Yeah, where I live covid numbers are low but the restrictions are so tight people are turning into mental cases before my eyes. We can't go much of anywhere or do much of anything. Any of us. I can't help them. I can barely help myself which is awful.
That emoticon is a hug for you chic and not a smilie at your situation.

That emoticon is a hug for you chic and not a smilie at your situation.

I understand. I just wish I could take her somewhere and do the fun things we used to do, but we can't because so much is closed, or they want so much information, contact info, etc. Walk this way not that way. No mask no service. No indoor dining. No using the ladies room. I've taken her to visit her friends a lot. But now money is getting tight for me because I have no job to go back to. Sometimes I just don't want to think anymore. I can't believe how bad this has all been. This morning I took her shopping for groceries and to the drugstore to use her coupons then had her back to my place for lunch and she seemed to enjoy that.

I don't have any problem with anyone. People say hi when we pass on the street during my daily walks and yes, everyone is giving a wide berth due to social distancing. I try to be understanding and just let it go if someone I encounter has a problem with me. Getting angry and upset about things doesn't do anyone any good. Change the things you can and accept the things you can't change including people's attitude about things.

I understand. I just wish I could take her somewhere and do the fun things we used to do, but we can't because so much is closed, or they want so much information, contact info, etc. Walk this way not that way. No mask no service. No indoor dining. No using the ladies room. I've taken her to visit her friends a lot. But now money is getting tight for me because I have no job to go back to. Sometimes I just don't want to think anymore. I can't believe how bad this has all been. This morning I took her shopping for groceries and to the drugstore to use her coupons then had her back to my place for lunch and she seemed to enjoy that.
Thatā€™s very kind of you chic. Donā€™t forget to do things for yourself that make you happy as well. Self care isnā€™t being selfish.

Back